Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terkwong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
good news for everyone considering to buy a mac before they start shipping them pre-installed! separate install DVDs!!! this is mine which came in the 24" imac.

Attachments

• leopard_dropin.jpg
    leopard_dropin.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 672

explodingboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2007
Theoretically, of course, if I was to buy a new iMac tomorrow would I be able to use the drop-in install disk on my MBP?

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
What are the differences between the drop-in disks that come with newly ordered Macs and regular single user license discs?

(I just ordered an iMac online (so I'll be getting a drop-in disc) and I was just wondering that if in the future, if I ever have to flatten and reinstall would I need to install Tiger first and then use the drop-in disc or can I just use the drop-in disc as if it were a regular single user license Leopard disc?)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
There's a chance the Drop-in disc will look for a previous installation of Tiger.

I've heard varying reports from previous versions. I've clean installed using my Tiger Drop-In disc on a Power Mac G3 since I had a site license.

mchendricks

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Central Florida
My dad got a new imac tonight, so I tried his drop in Leopard DVD with a MDD 867 PPC Mac (1.75 GB Ram, ATI 9600 Pro) and it hung the system. I tried it with a freshly formatted drive, but the installer says you need 10.4 installed on the volume. I also tried it with another drive with 10.4.10 installed, but it hosed the OS on that drive (lucky I didn't use my primary drive!). I may try again in the next day or two.

Yes, I know I need to buy it, but I want to test it to make sure it runs okay with my system before upgrading.

Mike

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
I just ordered a 20" inch iMac!

I have been waiting years for this. Good bye PowerBook! Good bye iBook! Anybody interested in my two laptops. I can't wait to use my wireless keyboard and mouse! 20 inches of sweet real estate. Awesome.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
I have been waiting years for this. Good bye PowerBook! Good bye iBook! Anybody interested in my two laptops. I can't wait to use my wireless keyboard and mouse! 20 inches of sweet real estate. Awesome.

I'm coincidentally selling (almost the same things)...a 15" 1.5 ghz Powerbook & my wife's iBook. Both bought Jan 2005. Both replaced by MacBook Pros - a 15" 2.16ghz that I bought in March 2005, and the 15" 2.2ghz (refurbished) I just bought.

terkwong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
hi all,

great news, i can confirm the drop-in DVD Leopard disc provide option to Upgrade or Erase & Install. The only thing is it will check that you have a current 10.4 installation onboard.

also, unlike the restore discs that comes with the computer, these drop-in discs aren't tied to that specific model. My friend bought a MacBook yesterday as well and she received the exact same drop-in disc.

hope this helps!

Attachments

• dropin check.jpg
    dropin check.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 2,820
  • leopard dropin.jpg
    leopard dropin.jpg
    941.2 KB · Views: 721

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Thanks for the helpful info terkwong. thats not necessarily great news though.

If you do the erase and install, that would mean you lose everything that the computer comes with like iLife '08 right?

I just bought my 15" refurb 2.2ghz macbook pro and I expect it to come with Leopard as a drop in disc. What this means to me is that whenever I feel like backing everything up and refreshing my comp from scratch down the line, I wil have to do a 2 step process: 1) reinstall the computer disks, 2) upgrade the OS.

I personally would prefer to have updated installer discs with leopard in them.

I'm going to try and get updated installer discs for the MacBook Pro I just purchased when they are available. IF anyone has any suggestions on how to go about this, please post. I dont want to do this for bootlegging reasons or anything, just for convenience reasons.

hi all,

great news, i can confirm the drop-in DVD Leopard disc provide option to Upgrade or Erase & Install. The only thing is it will check that you have a current 10.4 installation onboard.

also, unlike the restore discs that comes with the computer, these drop-in discs aren't tied to that specific model. My friend bought a MacBook yesterday as well and she received the exact same drop-in disc.

hope this helps!

Mactari

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Wisconsin
I just did a clean install of Leopard using the Drop-In DVD on my new iMac 24". I was then able to put in the Mac OS/X Tiger discs that came with the iMac and successfully install iLife 08 on top of the clean install. Everything works great!

I had initially installed Leopard on top of the Tiger install - but really wanted to start over from scratch. Don't know if this was really necessary, but it definitely makes me more comfortable...

Thanks for the helpful info terkwong. thats not necessarily great news though.

If you do the erase and install, that would mean you lose everything that the computer comes with like iLife '08 right?

I just bought my 15" refurb 2.2ghz macbook pro and I expect it to come with Leopard as a drop in disc. What this means to me is that whenever I feel like backing everything up and refreshing my comp from scratch down the line, I wil have to do a 2 step process: 1) reinstall the computer disks, 2) upgrade the OS.

I personally would prefer to have updated installer discs with leopard in them.

I'm going to try and get updated installer discs for the MacBook Pro I just purchased when they are available. IF anyone has any suggestions on how to go about this, please post. I dont want to do this for bootlegging reasons or anything, just for convenience reasons.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
I just did a clean install of Leopard using the Drop-In DVD on my new iMac 24". I was then able to put in the Mac OS/X Tiger discs that came with the iMac and successfully install iLife 08 on top of the clean install. Everything works great!

I had initially installed Leopard on top of the Tiger install - but really wanted to start over from scratch. Don't know if this was really necessary, but it definitely makes me more comfortable...

That's pretty good. Thanks Mactari. Other than iLife, are there any other pieces of software that I would want to pull out of the installer discs?

I'll probably do what you did.

But I'm still going to contact apple in a few weeks and try to get updated installer discs for my MBP ;-)

Mactari

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Wisconsin
I don't think there's anything else on the DVD to install. When installing the "other applications" (which contains iLife) you have the option to do "custom". I'd recommend choosing that...and dropping items like "Microsoft Office 2004 Test Drive"

That's pretty good. Thanks Mactari. Other than iLife, are there any other pieces of software that I would want to pull out of the installer discs?

I'll probably do what you did.

But I'm still going to contact apple in a few weeks and try to get updated installer discs for my MBP ;-)

terkwong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
thanks Mactari, yeah, you can just install the iLife from the restore discs. I've done that and everything works great!

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
I don't think there's anything else on the DVD to install. When installing the "other applications" (which contains iLife) you have the option to do "custom". I'd recommend choosing that...and dropping items like "Microsoft Office 2004 Test Drive"

Thanks Mactari. If anyone else has anything to recommend to install, please post it. Since I have MS Office 2004, I won't be needing the test drive.

jumpinjoe

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
When laying out $$$ for apple hardware, they should ship with the new OS already installed and a restore disk with the new OS. What is their problem?

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
When laying out $$$ for apple hardware, they should ship with the new OS already installed and a restore disk with the new OS. What is their problem?

you got me, but if they were willing to provide you with updated installer discs, I think that would be alright. Anyone ever have any experiece with this? or any ideas?

borchert

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
With the Drop-In DVD, do you have to have 10.4 on the disk if you choose to erase the volume and do a complete install? (If I need to reinstall a year from now I don't want to have to place 10.4 on first just to wipe it off with 10.5.) A salesperson on Apple Store's chat just told me the DVD is a full version and doesn't require 10.4 to be installed first. Is this true?

Thanks, Chris

Mactari

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Wisconsin
You have to have either 10.4 or 10.5 installed. I've already had to re-install 10.5...and it loaded fine right on top of my existing 10.5.

With the Drop-In DVD, do you have to have 10.4 on the disk if you choose to erase the volume and do a complete install? (If I need to reinstall a year from now I don't want to have to place 10.4 on first just to wipe it off with 10.5.) A salesperson on Apple Store's chat just told me the DVD is a full version and doesn't require 10.4 to be installed first. Is this true?

Thanks, Chris

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

Their "problem" is that it would be a nightmare to recall all the thousands of machines with Tiger installed just so that they can install Leopard on them.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
It would have been better if they just asked you to insert your Tiger disk for verification before installing Leopard, but at least now that I have 10.5 installed I'll be able to keep using my upgrade disc to do clean installs if I want to.

pakstar

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
Norway
So if I buy an iMac online on apple.com today, will I get the Leopard OS preinstalled, or will I get the drop-in dvd to install it myself? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.