Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Hey guys just writting up my Review to help out any fellow members with purchasing ram. After reading the forum regarding ram, i decided to go with http://eshop.macsales.com to get my ram.

So going to the site was really easy. First i clicked memory from the top tabs selection. Then i checked my computer on the right side (imac). Then i checked the memory option on the bottom and search... I got a return of all the ram available for my computer. 512mb, 1gig, singles or pair, etc... Well i went with 2gig pair. I used to have 1 gig. I chose the
2.0gb kit micron factory original (1gb x 2 matched pair). The delivery option was i believe usps, ups, fedex. So i figured the regular shipping was only like .50 cents away from ups 2 day delivery ... So i went with 2 day ups delivery.

I placed my order around 7pm. I recieved it in 2 day. Installation was quick, and let me tell you i do feel the difference here in there. Like when i open up iphoto, to go up and down, i see it's more quicker, reopening web pages is quicker as well.

I'm exteremly happy with my puchase, and would buy from them again, i would also reccomend them.

NOW, i'm ready to take on Leopard!!! Tomorrow can't wait to go buy it!

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Just to add my experiences for anyone thinking of buying from macsales.com -

I recently made 2 purchases from macsales.com, the first being a 4gb ram kit for my MBP, and the second being 2 FW800 external drives. I was extremely satisfied with both of my purchases, from product quality to the whole buying experience. This place is a great place to buy stuff for your mac - fast shipping, good prices, and awesome products.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I've been buying products from OWC for years, they have reasonable prices, their sales reps are knowledgeable, and anytime I've had a problem their customer service has been quick to fix it up. Sure I might be able to save 5 bucks on a hard drive here or a RAM stick there but with them I know I'm always treated good and I know the goods will work in my Mac.

Also OWC has those Newer tech hard drive adapters, saves me a TON of trouble at work anymore. Any hard drive converted to USB, thats the damn holy grail for a tech that has to deal with desktops, laptops, tablets, etc...

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
so, what brand of RAM did you get:

the TECHWORKS or the OWC RAM ?

they are almost the same price, the techworks is $ 20 more though.
does that mean it's better ?

also, does anyone have experience with FRY's RAM ?

cheers

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
i bought the 4 gb 2x2 gb ram upgrade kit for my mbp... i got the owc brand ram and it works great... also i live only an hour away from owc in chicago so all orders i get next day with the cheapest delivery method :D

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
Wow, I came here specifically to start this thread! OWC rocks!

Yesterday I ordered the 4GB RAM kit for the iMac I'm going to order on Monday. I figured I'd order the RAM now, so hopefully it would arrive around the same time as my new Mac.

Wasn't I stunned when my RAM arrived TODAY! 23 hours from the time I hit "Order", it was received, picked, packed, out the door and traveled from Illinois, USA to Toronto, CANADA to land on my desk.

What the hell? I'm shocked. I'm not even sure how they did that!

Oh yeah, not that anyone here needs the advice, but the 4GB RAM upgrade at Apple's website was $937.00. At OWC I paid $190, including shipping & handling. Yeah. I saved about $750.00.

Plus, since I bought RAM instead of upgrading the RAM that comes in my iMac, I get to keep the original factory RAM as a backup. OR, I can sell it back to OWC (they'll only give me $15 so I'll probably just hang onto it in case I need it for any reason.)

thebrain74

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
Sorry to be a thread hijacker, but quick question, what size screwdriver is needed to removed the cover and install the RAM?
thanks

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Shipping and duties to Canada

Wow, I came here specifically to start this thread! OWC rocks!

Yesterday I ordered the 4GB RAM kit for the iMac I'm going to order on Monday. I figured I'd order the RAM now, so hopefully it would arrive around the same time as my new Mac.

Wasn't I stunned when my RAM arrived TODAY! 23 hours from the time I hit "Order", it was received, picked, packed, out the door and traveled from Illinois, USA to Toronto, CANADA to land on my desk.

What the hell? I'm shocked. I'm not even sure how they did that!

Oh yeah, not that anyone here needs the advice, but the 4GB RAM upgrade at Apple's website was $937.00. At OWC I paid $190, including shipping & handling. Yeah. I saved about $750.00.

Plus, since I bought RAM instead of upgrading the RAM that comes in my iMac, I get to keep the original factory RAM as a backup. OR, I can sell it back to OWC (they'll only give me $15 so I'll probably just hang onto it in case I need it for any reason.)

Hello RumMunkey,
I am contemplating buying RAM at OWC. How much did you have to pay for shipping and for import duties?

Thanks,

Tom

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
Hello RumMunkey,
I am contemplating buying RAM at OWC. How much did you have to pay for shipping and for import duties?

Thanks,

Tom

Hey, OWC's shipping is a bit higher than I think it needs to be, so I was prepared for sticker shock going in.

The most basic shipping they offered to Canada (USPS) I think was $20. The first-level better than that was FedEx International Priority, and it was like $22. I went with that obviously.

I did not get flagged for duty. I've noticed stuff that comes in thru FedEx priority rarely gets stopped for duty... or maybe I'm just lucky so far.

GyOzA

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007
so, what brand of RAM did you get:

the TECHWORKS or the OWC RAM ?

they are almost the same price, the techworks is $ 20 more though.
does that mean it's better ?

also, does anyone have experience with FRY's RAM ?

cheers

I used to work at Fry's Electronics, and we had lots of returns on the value RAMs for Windows based PCs. I am not pretty sure about Mac RAMs, as it was pretty unusuall to see people come to the store to grab some Mac RAMs back in the days (about 3 years ago). BTW, Fry's has got a "15" Days Return Policy on RAMs instead of 30 days on most of other electronic merchandise, so you are pretty much guaranteed your money back unless you break the RAMs in halfs or you throw the packaging away. (Without the receipt is fine, unless you pay with cash).

Cheers!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
(Without the receipt is fine, unless you pay with cash).

Curious... Without the receipt, how would they know you paid cash? Or, for that matter with a credit card? Do they keep you in the system?

As for OWC / MacSales, I have made more memory purchases than I could count from them over the last several years for all different types of PC's and Macs, and they have all worked flawlessly on the first try (including my new Mac Pro).

I've always purchased the OWC brand. But, of course it is a national brand anyway. It's just got the OWC sticker on it, and is whatever brand they have there at the moment. If you buy a specific brand instead, then you are guaranteed that you are going to get that specific brand. That is probably the biggest difference between buying a specific brand versus the OWC modules.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i order most of my stuff from OWC. so far three times ram, two hd's, external hd cases.

i usually pay for two day shipping. didn't seem overly expensive to me. everything was fine with my stuff so far.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland

damnit, I was hoping Apple would give you 1 2GB stick in the 15" MacBook Pros instead of 2 1GB sticks. When I bought my 15" 2.16ghz MacBook Pro back in March, one of the reasons I went with the lowest of all the available MBPs is because it came with a 1GB stick and I knew I wanted to get a 2GB stick to take it up to 3GBs total. If I had gone with the next model up, since it had 2 1GB sticks, after upgrading, I knew I'd be stuck with a 1GB module.

Chemeddy

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
I've always purchased the OWC brand. But, of course it is a national brand anyway. It's just got the OWC sticker on it, and is whatever brand they have there at the moment. If you buy a specific brand instead, then you are guaranteed that you are going to get that specific brand. That is probably the biggest difference between buying a specific brand versus the OWC modules.

What does that mean? The quality will vary depending on the stocks they have? I thought OWC uses Micron chips.

Chemeddy

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
I've only ordered from OWC for 7 years, I've always had fantastic service and the RAM has always worked for iBooks, iMac, Macbook, BWG3, Lombard PB, G4 PM... Order with no concerns!

Coachingguy

Alrighty! That's a relief. :) Just got an update from OWC that my ram had been shipped. Tracking via FedEx. Will only reach me on 19th cos I'm at the other end of the world in Singapore. :D

nimbuscloud

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
I just ordered 4GB of the OWC branded RAM for the 24" iMac. It was only $99!

Can't wait to get it!

:apple:

MST

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
I ordered the 4GB OWC branded upgrade kit from macsales.com last Wednesday evening and I had it by 9am Friday morning, considering I live in the UK that's an exceptionally fast turnaround, I paid a little extra for FedEx shipping but it was only a few dollars more than USPS, and I try to avoid UPS like the plague! The best part of it all was that it only cost me £65.26 including shipping as opposed to the £539.99 Apple would have charged me, that's a saving of £474.73!

It was possibly the best online shopping experience I've ever had and I was so taken aback by it that I felt I needed to tell them just that, and so I emailed them there and then; 5 minutes after installing the new RAM :)

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
OWC is the way to go!!

Over the last few years I have bought a gfx card and OWC ram on 3 occasions. Every time they have offered excellent service . The ram works fine - i have 3 gb of it in my mac pro. If I order on Sunday night here in Australia, I had all of the items by friday. This beats the shipping times from online stores here in Australia. The prices are much cheaper than here as well.

I would have no hesitation in ordering from them again.

aussie_geek

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
Another happy customer here!

Also bought a 4gb upgrade kit for my MacBook. Confirmed my order on a Tuesday and got the RAM in Macao on Friday the same week via FedEx. :cool:

Medapple

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
OWC going downhill

I buy a lot of Apple products since we represent an apple medical software. I used to send a lot of customers to OWC to upgrade their computers, but now their customer service has gone downhill. They make it impossible to return an item even if it is bad. I just bought ram for a laptop and an IMac, the IMac memory was bad and the laptop's client didn't want to use the new memory. I had to call to get a return number for the IMac memory (did not work), they would not take it back just exchange it and I had to pay for shipping. Also, they would not take the laptop memory back (it had not been open). I will not be sending any more clients their way...

OWC called me and I was able to explain my situation. The customer service manage was able to help me and make things right. I was surprise to get a call within two hours of my original call and how helpful the manager was. They got me back as a customer and a referrer.

Last edited:

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
My own experiences were good. Simple situation though, I bought a ram upgrade for an older core 2 duo iMac, their website is good, shipping was decent (and I live in Canada), ram works great and has a lifetime warranty, so there's my 2 cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.