Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

You Am I

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
:mad:

Been at this since 12pm now.

Leopard Verifies the DVD goes to install then I get the following

"the installer could not validate the contents of the "basesystem" package. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Initially I was trying to upgrade - didin't work. Was unable to boot into anything.

Erased HD still didn't work.

Verified disk etc before installing. Machine patched up to date.

Running IMac core 2 duo gb ram

really annoyed

torpy

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
Sydney + Los Angeles
Pretty certain it's a problem with your Leopard DVD, probably corrupt in some way. Contact Apple (either through AppleCare or your nearest store) and get them to replace your disc.

You Am I

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Real version, or Pirated?

Do you honestly think I'd come on here and post if it was pirated software?

Its a corrupt disk I eventually find out after 8 hours and numerous calls to tech support who got me to wipe my drive :mad:

They apologised and are sending a replacement which will take a week. They had the cheek to say that they won't be charging me for posting out a replacement :eek: and offered no compensation.

Beware anyone else out there. If theres one bad one in the batch theres sure to be more

You Am I

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
lol I doubt that would be possible in his case

Todvader, how dare you accuse me. I bought leopard from the Applestore and don't use torrents. Its a bad disk, apple have screwed up. I just hope it doesn't happen to many others as its a pain in the :apple:

Lh'owon

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
New Zealand
Huh, "we won't charge you" indeed...

There was no need for that! And a week is rough... I would have thought it would be quicker.

Todvader, how dare you accuse me. I bought leopard from the Applestore and don't use torrents. Its a bad disk, apple have screwed up. I just hope it doesn't happen to many others as its a pain in the :apple:

Fair enough too. Let's not jump to conclusions people.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
It's just that everyone's downloading the pirate versions and alot of people got burned by corrupt torrents. Since apple stores aren't selling it until over 12 hours (in America at least) and I've seen lots of new users here asking questions about pirated version, it just seems very suspicious since it's very rare to get corrupt discs.

If you indeed get your copy legit, I apologize.

You Am I

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
I'm in Australia, hence the reason for receiving the disk ahead of most people (see Australia thread else where on the forum).

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
Then I apologize. For a second, I forgot about Australia and thought you pirated like 99% of the people who had questions related to problems installing leopard today.

Can't you just return it to the applestore you took it from? Do they reject it because it's opened?

Apple a Day

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Then I apologize. For a second, I forgot about Australia and thought you pirated like 99% of the people who had questions related to problems installing leopard today.

Can't you just return it to the applestore you took it from? Do they reject it because it's opened?

I rarely post on this forum, I mostly read. However, I was tempted to post this time. TodVader, I think you should avoid jumping on people and making conclusions. Poor guy comes on here with problems with installing Leopard (and he is rightfully frustrated) and as soon as he thinks this is the one place that he can get help you accuse him of being unlawful. Sure tells us all a lot about you.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
I rarely post on this forum, I mostly read. However, I was tempted to post this time. TodVader, I think you should avoid jumping on people and making conclusions. Poor guy comes on here with problems with installing Leopard (and he is rightfully frustrated) and as soon as he thinks this is the one place that he can get help you accuse him of being unlawful. Sure tells us all a lot about you.

Which is why I apologized? Please mind your own business. Have you ever said something you shouldn't have said? Probably not M.R. perfect.

If the OP still has problems concerning my post, he can contact me and we will settle this in private.

Saying it says alot about me is saying alot about you. Don't tell people to not judge people when you do the exact same thing and generalize. We got questions about the pirated version for 2 days and this sounded suspicious. I forgot about Australia which just got the disc when he asked his question.

Anyways, this is my last post in this thread concerning this and if anyone has any problems with me, contact me via PM. THANKS.

austindev

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007

"the installer could not validate the contents of the "basesystem" package. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Initially I was trying to upgrade - didin't work. Was unable to boot into anything.

really annoyed

Do not do the install. I just got off the phone with AppleCare, according to them, "lots" of the DVD are corrupted. I did a "skip" on the check and it totally fried my hard drive.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
Do not do the install. I just got off the phone with AppleCare, according to them, "lots" of the DVD are corrupted. I did a "skip" on the check and it totally fried my hard drive.

Fried your hard-drive? I can understand having to reformat and reinstall but physically destroying a drive? How did that happen?

Steve.s

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2005

really annoyed
:mad: I get the same message on my iBook. I'm in the UK so it isn't just happening in Austrailia.
Letting it check the DVD doen't make a difference since it passes for me then continues to the install, failing after just a couple of mins.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Then you can go to the apple store and get an exchange, instead of waiting.

purealloy

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
I had the same problem as You Am I describes at the beginning of this thread. I thought it weird that the DVD passed the verification, yet the 'basesystem' package could not be verified. Anyway, I took my mail order copy of Leopard to the store, and they exchanged it, no questions asked. I tried the new install DVD and had the same problem. I had been having strange problems with Tiger over the past 2-3 weeks (programs would not start, or would crash for no reason, etc.), so I then wondered if it was a hardware issue. Turns out it was. I ran the Apple Hardware Test, and found that I had a bad memory stick (Error: 4MEM/4/40000000: 1e156bc8). To narrow down which stick it was, I took one out, to see if the error kept happening. Turned out it was the aftermarket memory I installed about 6 months ago. I put the original factory memory back in it, and things are going better. Leopard is 80% installed.

So for those of you having the problem, you may want to try the Apple Hardware Test just for kicks. It may be on the Leopard DVD, but I ran it off the DVD that came with the MacBook. Instructions for running the test are on the Apple Support site here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303081

Good luck.

hartobomba

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
Leopard killed my mac

Yupe, i just got Leopard 6 hours ago and !pum! now the only thing i can see when i turn on my mac is a blue screen...

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
Contact Apple

Contact apple again. Let them know you are upset. My first mac had an issue and I wrote a complaint, the next day I had an email that a new upgraded powerbook was being sent overnight.

As for hartobomba, we also saw a blue screen at work. We made a white macbook the beta tester at the office and it to saw the blue screen. FedEx dropped off OSX at 11AM, and we did not have the macbook working until 5:30 PM. We eventually had to format the hard drive of the macbook before it finally worked. We will not be installing 10.5 on any of our iMacs until something is fixed and we are certain we will not loose data. I really do love apple computers, software, and iPods but this 10.5 release is horrible. You leave the window world so you no longer see the blue screen. Now on the mac thats all you do see after the install. I really want to move our company over even though all the computers are backed up on servers it is just to much down time during the week to format all the iMacs hard drives. I feel apple really did let us down.

Steve.s

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2005
I had the same problem as You Am I describes at the beginning of this thread. I thought it weird that the DVD passed the verification, yet the 'basesystem' package could not be verified. Anyway, I took my mail order copy of Leopard to the store, and they exchanged it, no questions asked. I tried the new install DVD and had the same problem. I had been having strange problems with Tiger over the past 2-3 weeks (programs would not start, or would crash for no reason, etc.), so I then wondered if it was a hardware issue. Turns out it was. I ran the Apple Hardware Test, and found that I had a bad memory stick (Error: 4MEM/4/40000000: 1e156bc8). To narrow down which stick it was, I took one out, to see if the error kept happening. Turned out it was the aftermarket memory I installed about 6 months ago. I put the original factory memory back in it, and things are going better. Leopard is 80% installed.

So for those of you having the problem, you may want to try the Apple Hardware Test just for kicks. It may be on the Leopard DVD, but I ran it off the DVD that came with the MacBook. Instructions for running the test are on the Apple Support site here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303081

Good luck.

:eek: looks like you saved me some hassle seems I have bad ram as well.
:( I have the disc in my hands but now I don't have enough ram.

@You Am I you should check you ram dude since I had exactly the same problem.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I skipped validation both when I burned the DVD on my MacBook and when going to install on my PowerBook because I was impatient.

The first time through it failed on an archive & install with the EpsonPrinterDrivers package. The second time, on BaseSystem on an upgrade install. I ran the upgrade install a second time and it's completed. I haven't changed media, and I had similar "run it twice" issues with one of the earlier seeds and figured it was just the old combodrive being grumpy about Dual Layer media.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you tried multiple times or not- but my PowerBook is now installed and rebooting.

Make sure you're backed up if you change install types.

Edit: System is up and running Leopard and I'm adding software but it does look like I have issues w/the EpsonPrinterDriver package, time to burn a new dvd...

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
I skipped validation both when I burned the DVD on my MacBook and when going to install on my PowerBook because I was impatient.

The first time through it failed on an archive & install with the EpsonPrinterDrivers package. The second time, on BaseSystem on an upgrade install. I ran the upgrade install a second time and it's completed. I haven't changed media, and I had similar "run it twice" issues with one of the earlier seeds and figured it was just the old combodrive being grumpy about Dual Layer media.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you tried multiple times or not- but my PowerBook is now installed and rebooting.

Make sure you're backed up if you change install types.

Edit: System is up and running Leopard and I'm adding software but it does look like I have issues w/the EpsonPrinterDriver package, time to burn a new dvd...

If you pirated the OS, at least don't talk about it in a forum visited by lots of apple employes.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
If you pirated the OS, at least don't talk about it in a forum visited by lots of apple employes.

(1) If I pirated the OS, that would have been illegal- talking about it is the least-significant part of the potential infringement morally speaking.

(2) You seem hell-bent on accusing people of piracy. I think you have issues- you should probably try to address them.

(3) For what it's worth, Apple put the ADC seed up for download yesterday and sent me e-mail inviting me to download it.

It looks like the Epson printer driver package is bad on my download, time to redownload.

Thanks for playing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.