Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cell-gfx

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
The disk permissions repair utility isn't working on my internal HDD. It's got the scrolling striped bar, but from there it's doing nothing! I'm sure this is related to my 'stuck' Spotlight, but does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

David R

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2003
Orlando, FL
I'm having a similar problem. I get the "beach ball" at random intervals and it doesn't let me do anything (just happened twice while typing in this box.)

I thought I'd try to repair permissions but it hangs the system shortly after it starts.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
its not hanging i had this issue too, the bar doesn't change and it takes longer but it works. it just doesn't show you that it's working

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
It takes up to 10 minutes. When I was on 10.4, it would take about 1.5 minutes and it would show progress. It doesn't show anything until it's done now. I stopped it 2 times before reading on this forum to let it go. It worked, 10+ minutes later, I just left and came back.

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2005
I have the same problem here. After installing leopard on my Mac mini G4 1.42 I've dicided to check for permission problems. And it took 20-30 minutes maybe. At first I thought it froze too... but it did return some stuff in the end of the verification. :confused: In Tiger it only took me 1-2 minutes.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
its not hanging i had this issue too, the bar doesn't change and it takes longer but it works. it just doesn't show you that it's working
Same on my iMac - took AGES (even tried running it from the install disc) to complete, and there was no progress indicator.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Saaaaame here! But mine was a little more sinister, after an hour of waiting it still hadn't completed. I can't log in on the Leopard instal. So I'm installing with archive+instal for now, if this doesn't work it'll be formatting time :eek:
Got it all backed up on my iMac. I hope it's not a sign that my PB's HDD is on its way out.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
On a completely clean install of Leopard....no additional apps installed...it was taking about 5 minutes for me.....why....not sure?

I was only using 12 GB of disk space?

Think it's a bug?

-Kevin

taybo20

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Tempe
How exactly are you guys going about using the repair feature in Disk Utility? And are you using it on your start-up disk drive?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Are you using the Leopard install disc, restarting your computer and holding down "C"?

Or are you just using disk utility and hitting repair?

I am just using Disk Utility within Leopard.

I think this is a Leopard problem....as it never used to take this long in Tiger.

-Kevin

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I'm getting this as well.
Did an Archive and Install
Ran Disk Utility
Clicked Repair Permissions
Striped candybar appears but so far - 15minutes+ - we have not progressed beyond that point.
I'll keep it going and hope for the best
Vanilla

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I'm wondering now if I made a mistake in removing the "Previous System" folder - I did an archive and Install - before running Disk Utility...its coming up to 20 minutes now...I'll keep it going for an hour and then I'll stop and guess I'll have to consider a clean install instead...sigh...
Vanilla

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
So it finally stopped..hurrah.. with one warning:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

This took 34 minutes....

Brendon Bauer

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Good 'ol USofA
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

I'm getting the same thing. Did an erase and install on a 2.4ghz sr mbp. Takes around 5 minutes of a scrolling bar and then it turns into a progressing bar that jumps to the end in a matter of seconds, leaving me with the same error.

Was the Apple Remote Desktop update in SU a legit update? Isn't ARD a separate program you purchase? Or is it built into leopard? I've never used it before... I thought it was it's own standalone product and I thought it odd that it wanted me to update something I don't have.

Bitteroot

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2006

This took 34 minutes....

I installed Leopard earlier today and am experiencing the same issue, with the same warning.

Is this in any way linked to my inability to partition the HD on my MBP via boot camp or the fact that my 2.33ghz machine seems to be running so much slower?

willie45

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired."

I got the above too.

I had installed windows via Boot Camp initially in FAT 32 then changed my mind, tried to change it to NTFS and it wouldn't let me. It said there was a disk error. I tried again and this time uninstalled windows and reformatted the partition as NTFS. This worked but I thought I should try the Disk to check given the issue I had had and the above error appeared just as everyone else says here.

I'm new to mac and so don't know how seriously I should take this warning. Should I really reinstall OS X? If so should I format the drive by doing an erase and install? If so how do I make sure the partition created by Boot Camp is gone too?

Thanks

Willie

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007

This took 34 minutes....

Got this too. I installed via Migration Assistant after I created a new partition in which I did a clean install on. To be honoust I don't think it's that big a deal; but I would be interested to know what this is. Maybe a disk repair would work? I'll give it a try when I have time.

snverhallen

firesong

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
Guess none of you noticed your system resources are being used quite heavily when you fire up DU.

Go fire up Activity monitor and set it to sort by CPU usage, then hit Disk Utility and do a Repair - you will see a job started by _installdb that eats up CPU.

I believe it's to reindex the installed applications and everything before actually attempting repair. But yes, it's taking _too_ long, so I would classify this as a bug.

I suppose that, thanks to changes in the underlying architecture of Leopard with regards to hard links for folders, extra checks like this are extremely necessary (unless you want to ruin your Time Machine backups with a repair that is not aware of the architecture changes in the file system)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.