Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
I definitely will be waiting until Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is November 22, not November 20.

Oct 30th is the end of the education deal...

I believe the original dates were based on the fact that while OS upgrades have recently come out on Fridays, product updates have always been announced on a Tuesday - so those were the closest Tuesdays to those dates.

Farani

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
I certainly don't question Multimedia's deductions (he has more experience than most of us put together). However, I was questioning why Farani wrote "No later than November 6th..." because logically, one would want to wait until at least around Thanksgiving.

Sorry, I didn't realize your post was directed at me; sleep deprived lol. I said no later than November 6 because I was merely rehashing the rumors flying around. It sounds like it will be this Tuesday or next Tuesday, Nov 6th, so I was just saying that we're waiting for an update that will likely be on Nov 6. Me, I'm going to wait until after Thanksgiving if they haven't updated it by the 13th.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Sorry, I didn't realize your post was directed at me; sleep deprived lol. I said no later than November 6 because I was merely rehashing the rumors flying around. It sounds like it will be this Tuesday or next Tuesday, Nov 6th, so I was just saying that we're waiting for an update that will likely be on Nov 6. Me, I'm going to wait until after Thanksgiving if they haven't updated it by the 13th.

Ahhh. Well that sounds like a good course of action because odds are that the macbook will get an update a little before Thanksgiving.

JSpence

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
Orlando, FL
On Black Friday.

lol yeah. Apple will have 'had' to release their new MB by Black Friday to sell the new product for the holiday season. Nothing to boost your figures like a $100 discount on your new hardware to have lines outside the store full of people wanting to buy.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
lol yeah. Apple will have 'had' to release their new MB by Black Friday to sell the new product for the holiday season. Nothing to boost your figures like a $100 discount on your new hardware to have lines outside the store full of people wanting to buy.

That's true, but something tells me that the iPod touch and the iPhone are going to be the major attractions on Black Friday. ;)

Azurael

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Sure, the performance probably isn't fantastic at this stage relative to what the chip is capable of. Apple have traditionally taken several revisions to get driver performance up to scratch. That aside, some benchies (and no, I won't run XBench. It's a waste of space and proves nothing.):

Attachments

• oglev2.jpg
    oglev2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 420
  • OGLEV.jpg
    OGLEV.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 325
  • openmark.jpg
    openmark.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 279

thies

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
thanks :) those figures still look sucky, but at least it won't be worse than the iBooks anymore. Guess some less demanding games like World of Warcraft and the like will finally run somewhat decently without having to run on minimal settings.

Stabbie

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
GMA X3100 with its Vertex Shaders enabled with new drivers under Vista/XP is typically about twice as fast as GMA950, more in some software, less in others.

IT WORKS!
http://www.ndt-uk.net/etc/images/Picture 1.jpg

Didn't Apple downgrade the GMA950 in the Macbook? I'm pretty sure they'd do the same with the X3100.

And about those benchmarks, would I be able to play Half-Life 2 and CoD2 at the MB's resolution with medium settings? I believe the GMA950 could handle those pretty decently at 800x600 and low settings.

thies

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Didn't Apple downgrade the GMA950 in the Macbook? I'm pretty sure they'd do the same with the X3100.

If they again ship a crippled product unable to handle even old games my money goes to some other company.

PMR

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Portugal (Google it)

And about those benchmarks, would I be able to play Half-Life 2 and CoD2 at the MB's resolution with medium settings? I believe the GMA950 could handle those pretty decently at 800x600 and low settings.

Decently with the DX8 mod :)

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004

Intel Integrated Graphics is part of the Northbridge, you can't cripple it a la GPUs. They may have left out a few features of the GPU in the driver but I haven't heard of this. Intel Integrated Graphics is and always has been limited. It's not designed for Gaming, it's designed to be adequate for running the OS which these days requires 3D processing because of Vista ;).

Intel updated their Windows driver to include a few new features not originally advertised to work wit the GMA950 (some vertex stuff iirc). Perhaps thats what you're thinking of?

----

The move to a GMA3100 was basically dictated when Intel set the EOL date for the Socket M/945G platform about a year ago and the Mobile 965 chipset and it's new socket was announced. Intel purposely made a new socket so that OEMs couldn't continue asking for the 945/946 series chipsets which still sells well these days since it's the cheapest C2D chipset available and the newest revisions will even work with the 1333MHz FSB as Asus/ASROCK and Gigabyte have shown. This way they'll have more fab capacity for G/P31 chipsets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.