Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Hello
I'm wondering if quicktime should be playing minimized in the dock or not, it did in 10.4 and I'm wondering if it should in 10.5 or if it was just removed...
If they removed it thats really quite sad as it was a nifty little thing to have and it doesn't seem like something that would need to be removed.

Thanks

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Omg QuickTime in Leopard is f***** up. Besides the video playback issue in the dock, it's even having trouble fast fowarding and rewinding in .mp4 playback. -_-'

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Just checked mine and it doesn't play in the dock, either. Not a huge loss, really. I'd say it'll be fixed in 10.5.1.
This much touted feature never really worked that well IMO.

I find only about one of of fifty or so videos actually plays in the dock even in Tiger, so it's no great loss.

Also, unless you have your icons set to massive massive size, what good is it really? You can't really watch it, and most of the time if I am watching a video, what I want is to pause it whilst I am doing something else, not minimise it to an incomprehensible smudge.

The only situation I can think of where this might come in handy is if the video portion is so boring that all you really need to focus on is the audio. Even then it's a toss up whether having a 16x16 pixel render of the movie is better than having a blank icon.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
This much touted feature never really worked that well IMO.

I find only about one of of fifty or so videos actually plays in the dock even in Tiger, so it's no great loss.

Also, unless you have your icons set to massive massive size, what good is it really? You can't really watch it, and most of the time if I am watching a video, what I want is to pause it whilst I am doing something else, not minimise it to an incomprehensible smudge.

The only situation I can think of where this might come in handy is if the video portion is so boring that all you really need to focus on is the audio. Even then it's a toss up whether having a 16x16 pixel render of the movie is better than having a blank icon.

It was basically just a cool little eye-candy feature, or shall I say "iCandy." :D

But yeah, no big loss, but I still figure it'll be fixed in an update.

duyvan82

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I believe it has something to do with the new dock's glass floor. Apple doesn't want to waste CPU cycles to render the live preview's reflection. Just my guess though

Ade-iMac-177

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Indeed it doesn't update the video while in the dock, probably a bug.

I don't know if it is a bug, while playing around with DVD player i found that it auto pauses when minimized which it did not do in tiger. i think that this shows that it may be intentional.

shame really, i always liked it playing. :(

Julian0714

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2006
glass floor

i don't think it has to do with rendering on the glass floor, because if you take a quicktime video in a regular window and drag it very low, you can see it reflecting on the dock. Looks cool.

I am also angry about this feature being removed, for those of us who like to have a large dock, it is really nice to have the video playing there.

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
Yeah, I noticed this too within the first few minutes of using Leopard. I was really disappointed, since that was my favorite feature of QuickTime Player. Plus, unlike what a previous poster said, it did indeed work with every video, even all videos handled with 3rd party components like Perian and Flip4Mac. I am very sad now.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Just to bump this up, I noticed this just now.

Now with 10.5.2, it doesn't really seem like a small bug, maybe it was removed to accommodate dock changes like updating with the program open (iCal), seems like a pretty pointless thing to remove.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.