Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
I recently purchased a G4 Mini (1.42Ghz I think) with 512Mb Ram for use as a second computer. It works fine with Tiger as it is, but I can get Leopard from my uni at a reduced cost, so.... I was wondering if anyone's been working with it on the lowest recommended Ram? Does it run OK? I'm loathed to take it apart unless I really have to as it's perfectly functional. Anyway, cheers everyone!

garethlewis2

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2006
Your CPU is going tio grind, abd your GPU is a joke.

Leopards fancy shader code for menus, copied from Vista for no apparent reason, and reflective dock will kill your graphics performance.

In iChat you won't have access to any of the iChat theatre effects, your CPU and GPU won't be fast enough.

You won't be able to use de-interlacing on the DVD Player as it requires a 1.6Ghz processor or faster.

Spaces will cause a lot of graphical tearing.

Basically, Leopard is a monster upgrade and it requires a newish GPU and a dual-core processor to really shine. MBP, iMacs and MacPros run this good.

No doubt, someone will reply and tell you that they are running Leopard on a Mini and all the effects switched on. When they type that, their monitor will explode as their nose is going to be growing faster than pinnochios.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
...snip...

Don't sit on the fence, say what you really mean ;) But seriously, cheers btw.

I'm not really interested in iChat/DVD player and the other bells and whistles, that's what the MB is for. I'm just talking about regular day to day tasks and general running. Is it really that bad? I guess I'll stick with Tiger then!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.