Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dkirlew

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2007
I have a Macbook Pro and I would like to get started and learn some programming. Are there any books or websites (besides this forum) that you could recommend to help me get going.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
there is a guide at the top of this forum (the mac programming forum)

do you have any idea what kind of programming you want to do? for mac, windows, both? there are several different languages to choose from

dkirlew

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2007
I want to do programming for Mac. As to what language I want to do learn, I don't know yet.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
I want to do programming for Mac. As to what language I want to do learn, I don't know yet.

Obj-C/Cocoa is probably the way to go. Apple has put a lot of resources into making it easy and powerful.

Go to http://developer.apple.com and sign up as a free developer. Install XCode (should have come with on the system disk, otherwise is a bulky 600M download) Then start running through the tutorials.

dkirlew

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2007
Thanks Mondo. I signed up for the ADC account and I noticed I don't have Xcode on my OS Leopard (got it through family pack) so I will have to download the 1.1GB Xcode file. I'll just run it through the night.

Spike099

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2007
Canada
Optional Install

Xcode was available through optional install on my Leopard disk. I did not see it as a custom option when installing Leopard itself ( I may have breezed by it by accident due to excitement ). However
, insert the CD and browse the "Optional Installs" folder and you'll see it.

Cocoa/Obj-c in my opinion is the way to go. I got myself a MacBook Pro back in March and started programming Cocoa a couple months later. I'm addicted, there is just so much you can do with it.

I love Xcode 3.0's Code Folding ( something I discovered tonight ); Enjoy;

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Xcode was available through optional install on my Leopard disk. I did not see it as a custom option when installing Leopard itself ( I may have breezed by it by accident due to excitement ). However
, insert the CD and browse the "Optional Installs" folder and you'll see it.

Cocoa/Obj-c in my opinion is the way to go. I got myself a MacBook Pro back in March and started programming Cocoa a couple months later. I'm addicted, there is just so much you can do with it.

I love Xcode 3.0's Code Folding ( something I discovered tonight ); Enjoy;

what is "Code Folding"?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Code folding allows you to hide bits of code you you don't have to stare at it while working on other bits.

It allows you to collapse away for loops and if statements etc. Just click on the side bar with the arrows facing each other. Click on the side point arrow or the elipsis to restore it.

oh ok, i've worked with that before. i just didn't know the term. thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.