Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logicalnoise

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
It's on the itunes store now for 4.99.

Harmonix has been making music related games for years now. including:
Frequency
Amplitude
Karoke revolution
Guitar hero 1 and 2
the upcoming "rock band"

This game is a terrific purchase IMO.

It comes with 7 tracks from various bands(all of them have at least one member working for harmonix(which is a good thing trust me)).
You hit notes as they come down a center track using the skip back center and skip forward buttons. Then tehre are sweeps of smaller blue dots which travel over the columns. you complete these by sweeping your thumb over the click wheel in sync with those.

You can also use any track in your collection(the game makes new note charts for each track).

logicalnoise

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I'm not surprised it's made by Harmonix because it looks EXACTLY LIKE GUITAR HERO.

which looked eactly like frequency and amplitude. If their engine works why change it? this actully a nice mobile sequel to amplitude in spirit only though. Anyways it's the best music based game for the ipod easily.

NotAnotherSN

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2007
Cherry Hill, NJ
which looked eactly like frequency and amplitude. If their engine works why change it? this actully a nice mobile sequel to amplitude in spirit only though. Anyways it's the best music based game for the ipod easily.

Oh, I'm not complaining. All three of those games are awesome, and I'm sure this is too, because you can use your own music. But I think the term "cash cow" would be appropriate in this situation.

Pants Dragon

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
I went to the store to check it out and I watched the preview video, and of course immediately though Guitar Hero. I think I'll probably buy it.

logicalnoise

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Oh, I'm not complaining. All three of those games are awesome, and I'm sure this is too, because you can use your own music. But I think the term "cash cow" would be appropriate in this situation.

well I have no doubt that no more than 5 people at HMX actully worked on this game(Rock band just went gold and I doubt anyone important was allowed time to work on a ipod game). But still 5 bucks for a game with decent graphics and pretty sophisticated scoring system is a deal.

subwarm

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2003
Westchester, NY
Just purchased Phase for iPod. It's pretty fun, the sweeps are kind of annoying but you get used to them after a while. The default songs are charted out way better than the on-the-fly tunes from my library. Although, I guess thats to be expected when you have software churning this stuff out (sometimes notes are a tiny bit off from the actual music - you think the note/beat should be pressed and its like a millisecond off). If you practice it at you start to learn the delay.

Overall this will keep me occupied on the commute home from work every now and again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.