Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 9, 2007, 03:13 PM   #1
billabong
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
How Organized Are Your Movies? - Screenshots!

How organized are your movies in iTunes? Are they all tagged w/ artwork? Just thrown in? Do you even care? I know before AppleTV I didn't care that much, but now I like to have everything tagged right... Here is one of my screen shots... Now post yours....

Last edited by billabong; Mar 11, 2008 at 09:16 PM.
billabong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 03:45 PM   #2
jensepollense
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia Tech/Blacksburg, VA
How can you add text to the description column? Or where all those movies bought so they already had it in there?

Thanks
jensepollense is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 03:51 PM   #3
CarlsonCustoms
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Before my appletv I didnt have movie artwork but since I bought the appletv I did go out and find all the artwork. Only problem is I haven't watched a movie on my atv yet. I seem to use it mostly for podcasts!
CarlsonCustoms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 03:55 PM   #4
billabong
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensepollense View Post
How can you add text to the description column? Or where all those movies bought so they already had it in there?

Thanks
Well iTunes doesn't sell HD stuff so no they weren't bought through iTunes... You can tag all your content with a tagging program. I use MetaX it's the best, gets you rating, synopsis, artwork, and more... Highly recommended...
billabong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 04:29 PM   #5
peeaanuut
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southern California
Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
I do not have many movies on my aTV or even in iTunes. However I have all of my TV shows in there and they are spot on organized with episode IDs, individual show titles and artwork. The same is with my music. Im sure if I start to use it for movies they will be the same, but I think I have a total of 5 actual movies with a few small clips.
peeaanuut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 04:39 PM   #6
slu
macrumors 65816
 
slu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Buffalo
Can you share what you mean by HD? I am confused because if you ripped from DVD the source content was not in HD, so did you "upconvert" or something? If so, do you see an improvement of the picture quality? Admittedly, I don't know much about ripping DVDs for use with the AppleTV since I don't have one (but I want one), and I only rip for the iPod with the Handbrake iPod preset.
__________________
MacMini 2.3 GHz i7 / Nexus 4 / iPod classic 160 GB / iPad 2 / Nexus 7 / AppleTV2&3
slu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 04:42 PM   #7
billabong
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by slu View Post
Can you share what you mean by HD? I am confused because if you ripped from DVD the source content was not in HD, so did you "upconvert" or something? If so, do you see an improvement of the picture quality? Admittedly, I don't know much about ripping DVDs for use with the AppleTV since I don't have one (but I want one), and I only rip for the iPod with the Handbrake iPod preset.
These aren't from DVD rips they are 720P HD from a Bluray or HD-DVD rip converted to AppleTV format with Visual Hub... The quality is amazing, better than HD channels on TV...
billabong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 04:43 PM   #8
Mac OS X Ocelot
macrumors 6502a
 
Mac OS X Ocelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
I'd say very organized.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	6666
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	90818
Mac OS X Ocelot is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 04:47 PM   #9
CarlsonCustoms
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by billabong View Post
These aren't from DVD rips they are 720P HD from a Bluray or HD-DVD rip converted to AppleTV format with Visual Hub... The quality is amazing, better than HD channels on TV...
Whoa. didnt' even notice all the HD movies you have. I have a Xbox HDdvd drive which I love EXCEPT for the noise. So how are you ripping the hddvd's with a mac?
CarlsonCustoms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 04:50 PM   #10
billabong
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac OS X Ocelot View Post
I'd say very organized.

Attachment 90818
haha nice.
billabong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 04:51 PM   #11
billabong
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsonCustoms View Post
Whoa. didnt' even notice all the HD movies you have. I have a Xbox HDdvd drive which I love EXCEPT for the noise. So how are you ripping the hddvd's with a mac?
I have the HD DVD for the XBOX360 too and love it, it's not too load. The quality from a disc will always be better than content on the appleTV unless they up it to 1080p and better sound. But there HD movies still look amazing, it's my way of getting through the format war. I buy HD DVD movies, but I don't support bluray.

As for ripping... I'm not, I get them from various sources..
billabong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 05:18 PM   #12
CarlsonCustoms
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by billabong View Post
As for ripping... I'm not, I get them from various sources..
Howsa bout pm'ing me those "sources" so you can share the appletv love? I thought about hooking up my xbox drive to my vista pc and find someway to rip it and then transfer it to my mac but that seems like alot of work when you can just pop the disc in, i just hate all the fan noise.
CarlsonCustoms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 05:59 PM   #13
peeaanuut
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southern California
Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
out of curiosity. How large would say a 2 hour hd movie take up in aTV friendly format?
peeaanuut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 06:00 PM   #14
je1ani
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
At least 5GB... I have DVD Rips around 2GBs!
je1ani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 06:22 PM   #15
nlivo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ballarat, Australia
mine's pretty similar to yours. I'm a nut when it comes to organization on my computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	movies.jpg
Views:	13716
Size:	520.3 KB
ID:	90827   Click image for larger version

Name:	tv shows.jpg
Views:	9913
Size:	567.5 KB
ID:	90828  
__________________
Steve Jobs took 6 months off to toke
nlivo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 06:56 PM   #16
billabong
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeaanuut View Post
out of curiosity. How large would say a 2 hour hd movie take up in aTV friendly format?
They can vary but average about 3.75-4GB per movie (3750-3900kbps). Some are really low 1.5-2gb(1900-2500kbps) but it depends on the bitrate of the original file. If you want to be able to tag them it must be no larger than 4GB...
billabong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 06:58 PM   #17
billabong
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlivo View Post
mine's pretty similar to yours. I'm a nut when it comes to organization on my computer.
Nice...

What do you use for tagging?
billabong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 07:20 PM   #18
CarlsonCustoms
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlivo View Post
mine's pretty similar to yours. I'm a nut when it comes to organization on my computer.
May I ask what's in your playlist "old people dancing" ? LOL
CarlsonCustoms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 08:33 PM   #19
je1ani
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Where do you get your box art from? and how do you fill in the Description? I am using regular iTunes not AppleTV

Last edited by je1ani; Nov 9, 2007 at 08:50 PM.
je1ani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 11:29 PM   #20
peeaanuut
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southern California
Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
I just got the script from here:
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/script...howdescription
It works quite well. A small script and you can type away to your hearts content.
peeaanuut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 01:09 AM   #21
magicmoof
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Which Mac, Encoding times?

Just curious how long these take to encode and what hardware you have.
magicmoof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 09:47 AM   #22
tronic72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Good post!

Good idea for a post. Until I saw the post all my movies has the first frame of the movie as the thumbnail. I just spent the last few hours updating my "dvd jackets"
tronic72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 03:17 AM   #23
billabong
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by je1ani View Post
Where do you get your box art from? and how do you fill in the Description? I am using regular iTunes not AppleTV
MetaX (it's mac only)

It is the best tagger ever... http://www.kerstetter.net/page53/page54/page54.html
billabong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 03:36 AM   #24
nlivo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ballarat, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by billabong View Post
Nice...

What do you use for tagging?
I don't use anything really. I get my posters from google and the description from a movie rental website and use doug's scripts to input them. I would use metax but everytime I try and tag a movie it just deletes it. I have lost about 5 movies through metax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsonCustoms View Post
May I ask what's in your playlist "old people dancing" ? LOL
haha, that was for my parents. They needed some music for a party. I thought the name suited quite nicely.
__________________
Steve Jobs took 6 months off to toke
nlivo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 03:43 AM   #25
billabong
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by tronic72 View Post
Good idea for a post. Until I saw the post all my movies has the first frame of the movie as the thumbnail. I just spent the last few hours updating my "dvd jackets"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlivo View Post
I don't use anything really. I get my posters from google and the description from a movie rental website and use doug's scripts to input them. I would use metax but everytime I try and tag a movie it just deletes it. I have lost about 5 movies through metax.



haha, that was for my parents. They needed some music for a party. I thought the name suited quite nicely.
Weird, I haven't had any issues with MetaX...
billabong is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Staying organized in Lightroom stockcerts Digital Photography 4 Dec 10, 2013 03:07 PM
How organized are your pdf files radek42 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 38 Aug 18, 2013 12:16 PM
TV series not organized in Apple TV but organized in Itunes JoeBlow74 Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Nov 29, 2012 05:40 PM
Organized student life? Kaelbron Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Sep 1, 2012 03:18 AM
Help! I need to get organized (and Im crap at it) yoak Apple TV and Home Theater 6 Aug 22, 2012 07:15 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC