Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scifi451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
MN
I finally broke down and got a current model of the 15". I just could not wait any longer. I got the 1GHz with a 40GB and a combo drive.

I cant wait for it when it gets here early next week! :D

Any accesories current 15" users think I "must" have for it?
also this is my first computer that will run OS X, which is real cool!

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Just a question, why did you get at 40GB insted of a 60GB, for $48 the 20 extra GBs come in handy, anyway Welcome to the Mac Community!!!

scifi451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
MN
That was a real tought decision. But I was on a budget so every dollar counted.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
I would suggest the following:

1. A two- or three- button USB mouse w/ scroll wheel. (<$30)Self-explanatory, I suspect.

2. A riser swivel base. ($20) Even if you only use it at home, it's a great way to help dissipate some extra heat. Also, it allows you to show someone your screen like you're moving your monitor -- a small thing, but I love it.

3. A small capacity USB flash memory module. The small ones are cheap and so much easier to use that dragging around a floppy drive or blank CD-RW. It allows you to give/get copies of most non-application files without e-mail access.

4. A keyboard pad for when you close the cover. ($15) I think that Other World Computing and some other companies have these (and at least one poster here noted that you can use the plastic pad that will come with your P'Bk). This will prevent your keyboard from eventually leaving a rubbed pattern on your LCD screen that simply does not come off. (I got my 15" in Feb. of 2001, and while the screen-rub isn't distracting, it annoys me a bit.)

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I never use the snake light i bought. Make sure you buy a lock for it if you think you'll need it.

Also perhaps he didn'tgot for the 60gb because he wanted it now not BTO and thru the mail.

scifi451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
MN
Originally posted by idea_hamster
I would suggest the following:

1. A two- or three- button USB mouse w/ scroll wheel. (<$30)Self-explanatory, I suspect.

2. A riser swivel base. ($20) Even if you only use it at home, it's a great way to help dissipate some extra heat. Also, it allows you to show someone your screen like you're moving your monitor -- a small thing, but I love it.

3. A small capacity USB flash memory module. The small ones are cheap and so much easier to use that dragging around a floppy drive or blank CD-RW. It allows you to give/get copies of most non-application files without e-mail access.

4. A keyboard pad for when you close the cover. ($15) I think that Other World Computing and some other companies have these (and at least one poster here noted that you can use the plastic pad that will come with your P'Bk). This will prevent your keyboard from eventually leaving a rubbed pattern on your LCD screen that simply does not come off. (I got my 15" in Feb. of 2001, and while the screen-rub isn't distracting, it annoys me a bit.)

Already got a real nice Logitech mouse and recently got a USB stick.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Consider the screen pad -- seriously. The keyboard leaves a visible pattern of shiny patches on the screen that just cannot be removed. It's too late for my Rev. A TiBook, but I'm definately planning on a pad for my next P'Bk.

Also, I realize that you may not get as much benefit from a riser as I do -- your 1Ghz TiBook is probably going to have lots of fan-on time no matter what, whereas for my 500MHz TiBook it makes the difference between fan-on and fan-off.

And I have a snake light. Never use it.

And then, of course, there's RAM...delicious, delicious RAM! OS X loves it and you'll love it too when you realize that with Darwin stability and preemptive multi-tasking, leaving a whole bevy of programs running but window-less is the ultimate convenience.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Consider the screen pad -- seriously. The keyboard leaves a visible pattern of shiny patches on the screen that just cannot be removed. It's too late for my Rev. A TiBook, but I'm definately planning on a pad for my next P'Bk.

just use the foamy sheet that will come inbetween the keyboard/screen when it shows up - its free and does the job just as well.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Originally posted by mrjamin
just use the foamy sheet that will come inbetween the keyboard/screen when it shows up - its free and does the job just as well.

No doubt this is the zero-cost solution. If, however, one is willing to trade some scratch for a less spartan option, they do exist.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I have a PowerBook G3 and with all the comments, I have two questions--1. My fan *never* comes on, I know you cannot speak for the new PowerBooks that will be here soon, but does the fan seriously come on that much now? That would seriously suck! 2. I have never used a keyboard cover and never once noticed any markings on my screen. Is this a new issue with Powerbooks now? How bad is it? I've personally never seen anyone use a screen pad on a laptop before and I've seen a lot of people use laptops. If this is a new issue, how come it hasn't been addressed by Apple? I've had this PowerBook for 4 1/2 years now and never noticed this to be a problem.

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
I think you can buy a keyboard pad at any Apple store for $10. I got my 15" last week and it seems Apple has fixed the *problem* of a thin sheet of foam being sent with the packing so now I have to shell out more money to protect my screen. I highly recommend this small investment. After one week of use I can already tell the edges of the keys are leaving marks.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
The G4 runs much hotter -- so hot that people have complained that it's uncomfortable to use the P'Book as an actual "laptop" computer. My 500Mhz TiBook can get uncomfortably hot. Consequently, the fan does spend a fair amount of time on. With the higher clock speeds, the heat is worse, and the fan is a more common occurance.

According to OWC (who sells the pad), the screen rub dates back to the Wallstreet PB in 1998 and I do know someone who has a Bronze Keyboard PB (1999/2000?) that has significant screen rub. It creates a pattern of shiny vertical and horizontal dash-shaped areas in the original satin finish on the screen. It's most visible when the screen is off/dark -- especially if viewed at an angle. I suspect that it arises from pressure/jostling during transport, so if you don't carry your G3 PB around alot in a backpack with other stuff, you may not suffer as much.

As for why Apple hasn't addressed it? Who can say why Apple does[n't do] anything?

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I have a PowerBook G3 and with all the comments, I have two questions--1. My fan *never* comes on, I know you cannot speak for the new PowerBooks that will be here soon, but does the fan seriously come on that much now? That would seriously suck!

G4's get SIGNIFICANTLY hotter than G3's. They start to shirr after about an hour of use, or as soon as you start doing anything pretty processor intensive

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
Here's what I've gotten thus far

I asked the same question not too long ago, I've had my 15" for 2 weeks now.

1) Mouse. I have a small Kensington USB mouse, but I honestly find myself not using it and just using the trackpad.

2) Extra power adaptor. Keep on in my travel bag, keep one at home. Has been very useful to have.

3) I don't have a USB keychain, but what I do have is one of those CF readers. I used the CF card that came with my camera to transfer files between my two Macs, before I got my airport network going.

4) Good bag. I'm waiting for Waterfield to start making the Racer-X again. In the meantime, I have a Marware Sportsuit which serves just fine.

5) I have a Radtech screen protector and a set of Radtech Wildeepz. The Wildeepz are little pads that keep your screen from even touching the keyboard or wrist area. The screen protector (which I don't *really* need, but it also doubles as a screen wipe) is also very nice. Either way, I'd get some sort of screen protector (something better than the Marware keyboard pad, IMHO) quickly.

That's my list thus far. I'm looking into getting some sort of CoolPad thing at some point (may just make one myself).

Enjoy the PowerBook!

...Jim

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Re: Here's what I've gotten thus far

Originally posted by plutnicki
I have a small Kensington USB mouse, but I honestly find myself not using it and just using the trackpad.
Wow -- I can only wish that I weren't so addicted to right-click contextual menus and scroll wheel. I know that Ctrl-Click isn't like, lots of work, but I've been spoiled by Adobe's right-clickability. Oh, well....

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
That's weird, I have a Lombard (1999 G3 series w/bronze keyboard) and with 4 years of heavy use, it has never made any marks on the screen and I keep the lid closed whenever it's not in use and transport it in a saddle style laptop bag when traveling. I don't go adding any unneeded pressure on the case to make the keys rub, but I don't do anything to prevent it, either. If it is a problem, perhaps I am lucky. It just seems odd that so many people have had a problem with it if I have not even noticed any smudge on my screen.

One thing I do recommend highly, though, is a lock for your PowerBook. After two years of college, I have seen enough problems of laptops being stolen out of dorm rooms. It's a definite problem and makes me paranoid enough to take my PowerBook with me if I am to leave for an extended time from my room. One model that is the most quoted of being stolen at my school is the iBook, so I just find a simple lock to be a good investment.

scifi451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
MN
Re: Here's what I've gotten thus far

Originally posted by plutnicki

5) I have a Radtech screen protector and a set of Radtech Wildeepz. The Wildeepz are little pads that keep your screen from even touching the keyboard or wrist area. The screen protector (which I don't *really* need, but it also doubles as a screen wipe) is also very nice. Either way, I'd get some sort of screen protector (something better than the Marware keyboard pad, IMHO) quickly.

That's my list thus far. I'm looking into getting some sort of CoolPad thing at some point (may just make one myself).

Enjoy the PowerBook!

...Jim

Where do I get the Radtech screen protector and how much is it?
same for the adjustable stand for the PB

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Get a good laptop case, or a sleeve for whatever you carry your stuff in now. It's probably not a good idea to have your beautiful new TiPB riding along with whatever crap you may have.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
No doubt this is the zero-cost solution. If, however, one is willing to trade some scratch for a less spartan option, they do exist.
I use 2 sheets of paper from the copier. I've had my PB for 9 months and the screen is flawless. Save your money.

scifi451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
MN
Originally posted by MacFan26
How did your sleevecase work? Is it worth it to get a shoulder strap or a ballistic flap?

I am not sure because I just orderd it on Tuesday, but I got all of the extras for the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.