Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtrocityExhibit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
NJ
How can I figure out how to add an email account that isn't aol/gmail/yahoo etc? I want to add my school email address (from rutgers university) but how do I figure out the outgoing mail server ad such (and I have no idea what IMAP/pop/exchange mean) if someone could help me that would be great..

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
According to my search, Rutgers uses IMAP:

Incoming Server:
eden.rutgers.edu (New Brunswick/Piscataway students)
rci.rutgers.edu (New Brunswick/Piscataway faculty/staff)
pegasus.rutgers.edu (Newark students)
andromeda.rutgers.edu (Newark faculty/staff)
clam.rutgers.edu (Camden students)
crab.rutgers.edu (Camden faculty/staff)

Outgoing Server:

smtp.rutgers.edu (New Brunswick/Piscataway students)
smtp.rutgers.edu (New Brunswick/Piscataway faculty/staff)

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
Have you considered giving their IT Department a call or an email and asking them that question? They would be in the best position to supply you with the proper system names, port numbers and protocol to use.

RMferrer

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2007
According to my search, Rutgers uses IMAP:

Incoming Server:
eden.rutgers.edu (New Brunswick/Piscataway students)
rci.rutgers.edu (New Brunswick/Piscataway faculty/staff)

Outgoing Server:

smtp.rutgers.edu (New Brunswick/Piscataway students)
smtp.rutgers.edu (New Brunswick/Piscataway faculty/staff)

how did you find this out?? i would like to use my university email as well.

DanJ

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Hi,

I need that info as well but for Leeds University, UK
the web add is http://www.myuni.leeds.ac.uk for the portal

any help would be much appreciated :)

Hey there,

I was just trying to do this today, and after much searching around managed to figure it out. Leeds ISS doesn't seem to give specific instructions for generic IMAP accounts, but piecing together some other stuff, I came up with this setup that seems to be working for me -

go to add "other" account in the mail settings and enter the following:

Name: your name
Address: username@leeds.ac.uk
Description: whater you want

Incoming Mail Server -
Host Name: username.imap.leeds.ac.uk
User Name: username
Password: yourpassword

Outgoing Mail Server -
Host Name: smtps.leeds.ac.uk
enter your username and password here as well

Click save. For me, it worked for a little bit then I got a popup saying "SSL did not work, would you like to try turning SSL off?" I clicked yes, it worked for a little while longer, then went through.

The Leeds mail now shows up under the mail app, and I have been able to send and receive mail.

Hope it works for you!

Nismode

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
I'm having the same problem with my university email as well at the university of hartford. I need an outgoing SMTP server, and mail.Hartford.edu can be used for incoming, anywhere, but it can only be used on campus for outgoing as well. Any help please?

willorrock

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
London
thanks

thanks very much for the Leeds uni email help, i set up the email fine on the iphone and the mail app,

thanks

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Coming from the (un)fortunate position of being both student and tech support at my university...

If they don't provide you with an SMTP you need to find another one. Gmail will work but it'll append your address on the end of the Gmail address. If you're using ATT you can use their SMTP settings as long as you're using the cellular network - I don't remember these off the top of my head.

These questions are best directed towards your respective university's help desk if the information isn't widely available.

ed21

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
can you find the same info for Appalachian State University ???...to set my email account to my iphone 3g....i tried a couple of ways but nobody could help me...i will appreciate your help...

kwaddles

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
Loading university emails on iPhone

I need to add my work account to my iPhone so that I'm able to access emails on weekends and in the evenings. The web address is: http://www.moody.edu. I was previously able to do this with no problems, but our server was reconfigured on Jan. 4 and I've been unable to access them since. Our IS department has been unable to assist me, they just say that a number of iPhone users are having the same problem. Would appreciate any help you can provide.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
How can I figure out how to add an email account that isn't aol/gmail/yahoo etc? I want to add my school email address (from rutgers university) but how do I figure out the outgoing mail server ad such (and I have no idea what IMAP/pop/exchange mean) if someone could help me that would be great..

Contact your IT department or check online with your school's website to see what setting they recommend for email clients. Normally, the same settings for email clients apply to the iPhone.

kwaddles

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
Contact your IT department or check online with your school's website to see what setting they recommend for email clients. Normally, the same settings for email clients apply to the iPhone.

I've already done that and none of their directions are working. I even took the phone over to the IT department and let them try to figure it out.

Greg

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
I've already done that and none of their directions are working. I even took the phone over to the IT department and let them try to figure it out.

Do you have your Mail set up in your computer? Then just sync your email using iTunes ...easy

KatieD22

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2010
I attend Saint Peters College and I can't figure out how to get my email on here. and if I select other I don't know how to get all the server details. does anyone know I can find this information

acoynerr

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
help!

i would like to set up my email for simmons college on my iphone 4.. how do i do it?

SweetHelloKitty

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
Setting up email on iphone

Hey there,

I was just trying to do this today, and after much searching around managed to figure it out. Leeds ISS doesn't seem to give specific instructions for generic IMAP accounts, but piecing together some other stuff, I came up with this setup that seems to be working for me -

go to add "other" account in the mail settings and enter the following:

Name: your name
Address: username@leeds.ac.uk
Description: whater you want

Incoming Mail Server -
Host Name: username.imap.leeds.ac.uk
User Name: username
Password: yourpassword

Outgoing Mail Server -
Host Name: smtps.leeds.ac.uk
enter your username and password here as well

Click save. For me, it worked for a little bit then I got a popup saying "SSL did not work, would you like to try turning SSL off?" I clicked yes, it worked for a little while longer, then went through.

The Leeds mail now shows up under the mail app, and I have been able to send and receive mail.

Hope it works for you!

If it would be okay with you I need help setting up my email for Southern Oregon University.
I tried following the one for Leeds but it didn't work.
The emails for students at Southern Oregon University are: username@students.sou.edu

I FORGOT TO ADD THAT SOUTHERN OREGON UNIVERSITY USES GMAIL.
but I can't set up the account through gmail on my Iphone I already tried

Last edited:

Jcloud8

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
I couldnt get my school email to work with any phone i have had so this is what i did...

1. Take your school email and make a gmail account that's identical to your school email (or different it doesn't matter)

2. Then go into your school email and go into your settings and have ALL messages sent to ur school email FORWARDED to the new Gmail account (or any other email service you prefer that is compatible with the iphone)

3. Add the Gmail account to your phone

DONE...now every time an email is sent to you school email it will automatically forward it to ur iphone/mobile device... this is what i had to do.

iwonderphone

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
iphone 4 school email setup

1.How I set up my School E-mail "on Iphone 4" account was by going to http://www.hotmail.com and creating a new account using my school email as user name. Or click here or copy and paste
https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx...lic%3D1%26ne%3D1&lc=1033&id=68692&wlu=1&lic=1

2. Then you have to go to your school email and verify acount.
3. When verified, go to settings on your iphone
4. Then click mail,contacts,calendars
5. Click add account
6. Click other
7. Click add mail account
8. Type your name/email address/password/ description "as what ever"
9. Then click next
10. Then at the top click the POP instead of the IMAP
11. Then as host "for incoming" name type pop3.live.com/ username is full email address/ then your password
12. For outgoing mail server, type smtp.live.com for the host, then for user name is full email address again then your password
13. FINALLY click save at the top and wait for it to verify. this was only for the Verizon Iphone 4, but I am sure that it would work for other Iphone 4's.

ALopez859

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
need help to set up Manchester Community College on Iphone 4

Hi, I need help setting up my school email account to my iphone. I do not know if it is exchange or any of the others, nor do I know the host name. My school is manchester community college. If anyone could help that would be great!

lr2701

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
I'm a student at Houston Baptist University. Could anyone please help me set up my email account!!!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.