Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rph105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
ok just bought my gf an imac, and i got her a macbook last year, she wants to transfer the data from the macbook to the new imac, how can she do tht, she doesnt have an external hardrive, cant she do it over ethernet or wifi? if so how?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
The easiest way will be target disk mode, hold cmd-t while starting the macbook while it is hooked up to the imac and it becomes an instant external harddrive

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
The easiest way will be target disk mode, hold cmd-t while starting the macbook while it is hooked up to the imac and it becomes an instant external harddrive

well, that requires you having a firewire cable lying around.

If you have a network, you can transfer the files across the network. Just make sure sharing is turned on in system prefs, then you should be able to see one mac from the other and copy the files across. You might also want to look into some software (fox example, Chronosync) that will keep the files on each machine in sync with each other)

rph105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
well, that requires you having a firewire cable lying around.

If you have a network, you can transfer the files across the network. Just make sure sharing is turned on in system prefs, then you should be able to see one mac from the other and copy the files across. You might also want to look into some software (fox example, Chronosync) that will keep the files on each machine in sync with each other)

can i do this sharing thing by connecting both macs via ethernet to each other, btw i'm running leopard on both so how will i go about draggin files off one to another, could anyone write me up a brief tutorial. thanks so much in advance

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Best way is to use the Migration Assistant. We use it at work when doing upgrades. Easiest way is during setup, or afterwards as long as the name is different on the new computer. Otherwise it'll ask to overwrite your new account. If that's too much of an issue, I recommend the Target Disk Mode anyway. It's easier IMO than going across the network. There's nothing to setup, the old computer will just show up as an external hard drive. If you already have a network, and they're both able to connect to it via your router, then you can enable sharing in the system preferences if it isn't already. Then just connect via the Finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.