Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
Oh man this is one thing that has always bothered me as well. No idea if it's in Leopard, haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, anybody else know definitely one way or the other?

There's no option for it in Safari, but in Firefox there is... but greyed-out! (Yes I have selected text before clicking the print button)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 88

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I was delighted last night to find that Apple has - finally - allowed full screen in QuickTime without having to fork for QTPro. No longer do I need that little qtfs app!

joeyconnick

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2007
I was delighted last night to find that Apple has - finally - allowed full screen in QuickTime without having to fork for QTPro. No longer do I need that little qtfs app!
That was introduced before Leopard came out... sometime in the summer, I think, with one of the QuickTime updates.

hyddan

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
They have a light-colored dot. Some people think they are hard to see, particularly when the background/reflection in the dock is a light color.

I think it's supposed to be stars matching the new aurora wallpaper and space theme. Anyway I found alot of little things I like with Leopard;

When you drag an item you can move it over a finder window that is partly hidden or out of the screen and hit space and it will temporarily become focused under your dragged item, pretty cool and useful :)
"Space-thumbing" works on a lot of things.

There were some other thing I noticed earlier but it slipped my mind. Spaces suddenly stopped being sluggish for some reason.

Am I one of the few who actually likes Leopard?

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I have a question about docs...I did move Applications and Utilities Folder in Docs but if i delete anything from the App/Util folder thats in docs it removes the same item from the main App/Util folder. Can you create something like "Shortcut" in windows. I can duplicate icons but its taking extra space...

I am new to Mac so i am trying to learn.... :apple:

DENZIE

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2007
I have a question about docs...I did move Applications and Utilities Folder in Docs but if i delete anything from the App/Util folder thats in docs it removes the same item from the main App/Util folder. Can you create something like "Shortcut" in windows. I can duplicate icons but its taking extra space...

I am new to Mac so i am trying to learn.... :apple:

hey buddy welcome along.. shortcuts are referred to as 'aliases' on macs. Ctrl click (or right click) and choose make alias.

mooty

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
UK
In Mail, the new mail templates are a bit more flexible than first appear...

If you click on the backgrounds of a template whilst composing, it will cycle through different colour options - you aren't necessarily restricted to the first option that it gives you... A nice find I found by accident...

davidChief

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2006
Warwickshire, UK
like?

cmd+O makes a lot more sense then using enter, especially when using cmd with other letters (W, Q, tab, H, C, V etc etc). A lot can be done without taking your finger off the command key. The number of times people have deleted files because they accidently hit backspace...

I've found an easier way - you can now use Cmd+Down and Cmd+Up. These really work very well, I recommend everyone tries them! :)

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Editing HTML pages sent via email

If you send a web page from Safari (File>Mail Contents of This Page) and do not want to send the whole page you can mouse over a section on the page and a little X in a circle comes up to delete that section (be it a table or div etv). Very cool.

Attachments

• Snapshot-2007-11-14-14-56-12.jpg
    Snapshot-2007-11-14-14-56-12.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 71

hyddan

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
If you set a preferred Audio interface in the audio midi settings and that interface disappears it will automatically switch to the built in audio. (here's the new part) if the audio interface comes back it automatically switches back without having to restart any programs. Really handy.

I don't know if this is new but I recall having to restart Itunes/VLC/Quicktime if I didn't have my Audio interface on when I started the program in Tiger. Now I can just turn on the Interface and it'll switch the signal as it loads up. Nice.

NickElls

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
While in the Spaces screen, holding down Shift while dragging a window to a different space will cause it to keep its position on the screen.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
There's no option for it in Safari, but in Firefox there is... but greyed-out! (Yes I have selected text before clicking the print button)

You quickest option then would be select the text then go safari>services>textedit>new window containing selection then go print. You could probably even make a automator action for that! :rolleyes:

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
In Mail, the new mail templates are a bit more flexible than first appear...

If you click on the backgrounds of a template whilst composing, it will cycle through different colour options - you aren't necessarily restricted to the first option that it gives you... A nice find I found by accident...

I can't get this to work.... can you explain in greater detail? Perhaps it's limited to certain templates?

PG13

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
New Dock - Better Organized

It was clear to me that the new dock design did not work well with my over stuffed (>100 items) dock. I used it as a reason to get organized and I used the new dock's two dimensions (stacks) to do so. The result works so well I though I'd share it.

1. Make a folder called "Applications Aliases" and in it create folders for each application category you would like to set up.

2. Make aliases of all the apps you want on your dock and place the aliases in their respective folders.

3. Add a space to the alias in each folder that you wish to represent that stack. (This will cause it to pop to the top of the alphabetical list and show on the dock.)

-or (for a nicer look)-

3. Create icons for each category and assign them to unused folders. Place the correct "icon folder" in their respectful alias folders with names like " AAA-GraphicIcon" (This again will cause it to pop to the top of the alphabetical list and show on the dock.)

4. Drag the alias folders down to the dock and you will have an uncluttered and organized dock.

Attachments

• Applications Aliases Pic.jpg
    Applications Aliases Pic.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Desktop.jpg
    Desktop.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Dock.jpg
    Dock.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 223

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
Ok i'm having a problem with the Mosaic screensaver... It works but while its on it has the "creating Mosaic database" status bar up and its close to the end but it doesn't move and just stick in the middle of the screen...

Very annoying. Anyone else have this?

I'm sorry to ask this question, but where is the Mosaic screen saver? I've looked in the screen saver control panel and I've done a spotlight search, both with no success. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

adamfishercox

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
It is a view option when you set a folder of pictures as a screensaver. There is the regular "Ken Burns Effect," a "Falling Photos" effect, and a "Mosaic" effect.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
It is a view option when you set a folder of pictures as a screensaver. There is the regular "Ken Burns Effect," a "Falling Photos" effect, and a "Mosaic" effect.

Adamfishercox, thanks for the help. I had taken note of these new icons in the screen saver window, but I hadn't yet experimented with them. Now, thanks to you, I know what they do.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Remove the tacky stars from the Time Machine UI

Time Machine is very nice but i think the UI looks a lot better without the tacky stars flying past. To remove them replace HyperBlueStar.tiff etc and NormalBlueStar.tiff etc in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources with 8x8 pixel black squares in .tiff format using photoshop or any other image editing app. remember to rename the 8x8 tiffs to the appropriate colours i.e. HyperBlueStar.tiff and HyperRedStar.tiff etc and backup the original files if you want to revert back.

here is the end result. a lot slicker and more professional IMHO.

Attachments

• screencapture 2.jpg
    screencapture 2.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 249

PG13

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
Lost In Spaces?

OK, forget this tip! :(
While stickies do stay in their "places" throughout a session, they do not remember their position after logging out or shut down. They all reappear in the place you boot into. Back to the drawing board. . . :)

====================

Until Apple (or a third party) lets us use a different background image on each of our spaces it is easy to lose track of which space you are in. Until then you can use a stickie to mark each space. Since stickies can hold a graphic, I threw half sized places icon image (grabbed with Snapz Pro X and resized in Photoshop) into each stickie.

Attachments

• Desktop.jpg
    Desktop.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 277
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.