Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grfelix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Hey guys, im a new mac user, so i have practically no experience using mac, I recently installed windows XP home edition on my mac through VMware Fusion and it work correctly, the only question I have is... Do I need to worry enough about viruses while using Windows on VMware?, and what antivirus and antispyware is recommended to install??...

Thanks.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Viruses will affect the Windows installation if it gets them, but not the Mac side, I recommend AVG Free and Ad-aware :)

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Most major ISPs give you Antivirus/firewall software for "free" (I know I know - the cost is probably passed on to the user as part of the monthly bill). Comcast has a deal with McAfee.

MacGuyver

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2007
I don't.... i have had avg interfere with some programes (exe's) I was trying to run so I uninstalled it. If you're not doing much work on windows I would skip it.. get adaware and firefox and don't click on spam ads or open suspicious emails and you will find that you really don't need virus protection... Just make sure you back stuff up regularly and you will be prepared if something does go wrong, which is unlikely.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Just download the new Security Essentials from Microsoft. Free Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware and it's been getting rave reviews across the web. It's very light on system resources and has a phenomenal detection engine. I've dumped both Avast and AVG now for Security Essentials on all my systems running Windows. It doesn't nag you either to upgrade to the "bigger/better" version.... only one version available from MS and it's totally free.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us

Cheers!

James

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.