Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
picture2ne2.png

The CD has the same album title but the artist are different is itunes is recognizing all the songs as different albums? Is there a way to still group them together.

Man, I should know how to do this :confused:

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Right click, get info, select this album is part of a compilation. I think you may have to do it with all songs, ie do it with all songs selected.

MacRohde

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
From iTunes Hot Tips:

Group Compilations

To see all songs on a compilation CD grouped together in your library, make sure you select the “Group compilations when browsing” option in iTunes Preferences (click the General button). If this checkbox is deselected, all songs from compilation CDs appear individually by artist in the Artist list (in the browser).

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
OK I have every CD together now except for one CD.

ANY IDEAS

Try copying and pasting the album name from one of the songs on the CD to the rest. Sometimes a stray space or other character makes its way and disrupts the album.

Gava

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2007
If you select all the tracks from the album, and select "get info", you can check all the boxes that need to be the same. This will verify that all of the fields match up. Click ok. Then highlight all the tracks and select "get info" again. now check the box for compilation and click ok. This has worked for me so far.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
It should work if you select every song in the album, and on the 'Get Info' screen, enter 'Various Artists' in the album artist box. The compilation option is unnecessary.

La Curandera

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2007
I've had the same problem.

Normally fixed by the "get info" and tick everything approach, but there have still been instances where everything appeared to be the same, but still I had multiple albums coming up.

For each of these I just changed the name or the album slightly, say deleting the last letter, then immediately changed it back. I think iTunes doesn't always pick up changes but everytime I did that, they became one album as they should be.

bindigok

macrumors regular
May 14, 2007
I have found the best way to fix this problem is not to select the compilation option, as it messes things up if that album ever is part of a compilation. Instead highlight all the songs of the album and press command+I, than enter the name of the artist under the field "Album Artist." I'm not sure why some albums need this field and other don't. But this option is so that all songs on that album will be displayed under the same artist. If the album has various artists (like a soundtrack), then enter in Various Artists. Now all the songs should display together under that album.

rsimms

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
Album view problem fixed

I had this problem.

"Group compilations when browsing" in the advanced preferences was checked.

"Part of a compilation" was checked on all of the songs that were part of the same album.

The thing that seemed odd was that the text entered for the artist tag was also entered for the album artist tag -- by clearing the album artist tag, the songs are now grouped together in all album views.

I even have different artists and composers specified for each song -- so using "various artists" for the artist tag is not necessary when you really know the details for each song.

Hadi

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
I Have This Problem On My Ipod And It'd Doing The Same Duing Cover Flow Browsing

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I had the same problem and it was 1 song on it's own album. I looked at all the songs and the 1 song on it's own album had the "album artist" missing when all the other songs from the same CD had info in that spot so I put the same info as the other songs in for this song. I also numbered all the songs from the 1 album (1 of 10, 2 of 10 and so on). I did them both so not sure which 1 fixed it, but something to look into.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Something I would suggest that may or may not work for you, but it has worked for me is remove all the songs from that album from itunes, and re add them, this has fixed this problem for me on multiple occassions

Lloyd Christmas

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
I've had the same problem.

Normally fixed by the "get info" and tick everything approach, but there have still been instances where everything appeared to be the same, but still I had multiple albums coming up.

For each of these I just changed the name or the album slightly, say deleting the last letter, then immediately changed it back. I think iTunes doesn't always pick up changes but everytime I did that, they became one album as they should be.

+1 just tried it out and it worked no problem Lloyd

JanSKay

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2009
Great instructions/reminder

I have found the best way to fix this problem is not to select the compilation option, as it messes things up if that album ever is part of a compilation. Instead highlight all the songs of the album and press command+I, than enter the name of the artist under the field "Album Artist." I'm not sure why some albums need this field and other don't. But this option is so that all songs on that album will be displayed under the same artist. If the album has various artists (like a soundtrack), then enter in Various Artists. Now all the songs should display together under that album.

Been awhile since I had this problem and could not remember and thank you...this worked perfectly this way. Thanks.

Razza353

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010

You are a life saver. That's exactly it; I was worried it'd actually change the artists, but it doesn't, they're still the real artists it just categorises it as one album instead of little ones. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!:D

LeChuck2020

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
BEST solution

Steps in making all part of one album

A lot of good ideas above but still some are missing

For all the steps select ALL the songs and right click "get info"

1. Make sure the Album name is there, if not then some of the files may be name differently, write the name in and click ok

Failed?

2a. If the album artist is not filled in and the album is by one artist will in the album artist,

2b. If the CD is a compilation then write "Various Artists" in the Album Artist.
This should already solve 85% of al problems

3. If it is still not as one album, then go to the Options tap and Check " part of compilation" "YES"

4. The final and this should solve 95% of all problems, go into the Sorting tap, and check sort artist if the album is by one artist, or sort album artist or even album and write the appropriate name.

5. The last 5% can be done by erasing some field like album name, clicking ok, then click get info again and re-write it again.... or try other small things like adding a cover art to the whole album

Hope this could help

Venkata

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
The Solution

I have visited many websites desperate for a fix. I have come across MacRumors and I scanned through this thread hoping some simple fix can do the trip. I believe someone on the MacRumors forum or some other forum suggested deleting all spaces.

1. Indivisually click on "Get Info" on each song

2. Click in the "Album Name" field

3. Make sure there is no space after the name of the album

4. Repeat for all songs that you wish to be apart of the album

*My interaction & Example*

I checked the "Get Info" tab for each and everyone one of the songs that belonged in the same album, and I could swear that each one was identical. And to the eye they were certainly identical, but iTunes recognizes exactly where the cursor was left off.

Example of two separate albums:

(Each _ (underscore) I type represents a space)

Album Name 1: "Thriller_"
Album Name 2: "Thriller"

Album Name 1: "Tha_Carter_3"
Album Name 2: "Tha_Carter_3_"

Talk2frank

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2014
iTunes scattered album fix

Go to origanal file select properties uncheck read only click apply open the file to see all the tracks select all then select remove properties from the organise tab from this window check the second option to delete properties then check remove contributing artist info click ok/apply go back to iTunes delete all your seperate folders for the album then add your edited file plug in your device go to music and check the box for your album click apply. You should be good to go

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Go to origanal file select properties uncheck read only click apply open the file to see all the tracks select all then select remove properties from the organise tab from this window check the second option to delete properties then check remove contributing artist info click ok/apply go back to iTunes delete all your seperate folders for the album then add your edited file plug in your device go to music and check the box for your album click apply. You should be good to go
Nice thread resurrection, but none of that is necessary and won't fix the problem. It makes no difference where the music files are stored, or if they are in the same folder or not.

iTunes uses 4 fields to determine which albums sort together:
  • Album
  • Album Artist
  • Sort Album
  • Sort Album Artist
As long as all tracks have matching information in those tags, the album will sort together. So for albums with various artists, put the individual artist name in the Artist field, and put "Various Artists" in the Album Artist and Sort Album Artist fields. The album will sort together. If it doesn't immediately, remove the album from your library and re-add it.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Nice thread resurrection, but none of that is necessary and won't fix the problem. It makes no difference where the music files are stored, or if they are in the same folder or not.

iTunes uses 4 fields to determine which albums sort together:
  • Album
  • Album Artist
  • Sort Album
  • Sort Album Artist
As long as all tracks have matching information in those tags, the album will sort together. So for albums with various artists, put the individual artist name in the Artist field, and put "Various Artists" in the Album Artist and Sort Album Artist fields. The album will sort together. If it doesn't immediately, remove the album from your library and re-add it.

This is probably the best way to fix album sorting issues...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.