Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SHankara

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
im trying to rename a folder with the "mv" command but its not working

heres what I do

mv カトロ .カトロ

but it just goes to the resulting mv command options,is it becuase of the japanese characters,or becuase the folder is on a diff volume?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Type mv *original name* *new name*.

Basically you just move the original to a new name if that makes sense. Unix type system work slightly differently.

Edit : bah didn't read the thread... :(

As far as I am aware you shouldn't have any problems with that as long as you are moving the folder within the same directory.

Big Dave

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Crestview, Fl
Special character in the new file name

In Unix, . is a special character usually equating to the current directory. IE moving something from /some/path to . (current location). Try escaping before the . meaning mv file \.file or mv file "file"

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
im trying to rename a folder with the "mv" command but its not working

heres what I do

mv カトロ .カトロ

but it just goes to the resulting mv command options,is it becuase of the japanese characters,or becuase the folder is on a diff volume?

Try quoting the names instead. Obviously I have no idea what you are trying to rename to what, but if it is カトロ to .カトロ, try this:

Code:
mv "カトロ" ".カトロ"

Edit: If you copied your exact command line when you posted, the problem is that the " " is a blank character which is not a space " ". mv then sees only one parameter because of this, not two.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Pardon my ignorance but wouldn't it be easier to just click on the folder and change the name ?

This is under the assumption you're doing this from the same computer of course.:)

SHankara

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Try quoting the names instead. Obviously I have no idea what you are trying to rename to what, but if it is カトロ to .カトロ, try this:

Code:
mv "カトロ" ".カトロ"

Edit: If you copied your exact command line when you posted, the problem is that the " " is a blank character which is not a space " ". mv then sees only one parameter because of this, not two.

Thanks it worked,but can you explain why this worked for the japanese characters?regular roman text doesnt need the quotes

SHankara

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
WOW strange I dont know if its bug,but I jsut renamed without the qoutes.something to do with spacing of roman and japanese characters!

thanks for your guys help!

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
WOW strange I dont know if its bug,but I jsut renamed without the qoutes.something to do with spacing of roman and japanese characters!

thanks for your guys help!

It was all the spacing as I pointed out in my edit.

Quotes are often good to use though, they can help avoid disasters. The Terminal is very powerful, it can help you do your work fast, or help you screw up your system even faster :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.