Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I want to create an .iso image and have it compatible with Mac and Windows. Will Disk Utility let me do this?

Miguel0019

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2006
lamina said:
I want to create an .iso image and have it compatible with Mac and Windows. Will Disk Utility let me do this?

Yes, just put it the CD/DVD, go to disk utility select disk image, and burn.
or go to versiontracker.com and search for a more convinient solution for you.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Create a folder with the contents you want on your ISO.

Open Disk Utility and use the New Image from Folder menu item to create an image. Ensure it is uncompressed and use the CD/DVD master option.

In my experience this creates HFS+ masters which are no good in Windows.

Open the Terminal

Assuming your new image is called ~/Desktop/Master.cdr (the file is on your desktop and called Master.cdr) type:

Code:
cd ~/Desktop
hdiutil makehybrid -iso -joliet -o Master.iso Master.cdr

This will create an ISO/Joliet .iso file.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
He beat me to it, but I'll vouch for robbieduncan's method as it's the way I do it too :)

tgage

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2006
RTP, NC
Creating an ISO from a CD (Audio or Data)

From within Terminal (Applications->Utilities->Terminal)

Mac OS X Tiger (10.4)

You can determine the device that is you CD/DVD drive using the following command:

drutil status

Vendor Product Rev
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-825 DAM5

Type: CD-ROM Name: /dev/disk1
Cur Write: 16x CD Sessions: 1
Max Write: 16x CD Tracks: 3
Overwritable: 00:00:00 blocks: 0 / 0.00MB / 0.00MiB
Space Free: 00:00:00 blocks: 0 / 0.00MB / 0.00MiB
Space Used: 66:55:27 blocks: 301152 / 616.76MB / 588.19MiB
Writability:

Now you will need to umount the disk with the following command:

diskutil unmountDisk disk1

Now you can write the ISO file with the dd utility:

dd if=/dev/disk1 of=file.iso

When finished you will want to remount the disk:

diskutil mountDisk disk1

Note: You may also be able to use hdiutil create -srcdevice /dev/disk1 -format UDTO file.iso to create the ISO image. I have seen this work for data disks, but have not had much luck with audio CDs.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
coastertux said:
I believe if you use a CD Burning program like Roxio or Nero you can create an iso file.
[SARCASM]Ooh, please tell me where I can get Mac versions of these Windows programs from.[/SARCASM]

That probably wan't called for as you may have read Mac and Windows and assumed it was to create in one or the other rather than create in Mac to work in both. I would use the above DU>Terminal method if I needed to create an iso too, but rarely create them and usually burn to disc or save to external HD in original format.

I looked at Toast 7 anyway and it only supports bin or cue images as well as toast.

pisani

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2006
isn't that a bit complicated?
i know nothing in terminal and i hate it:mad:
any existing program that i can just open, grab files that i want in my image and save it as .ISO (similar to .dmg or .bin images)?
thanks

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I think another way is to create a blank .dmg or .cdr image, then in Disk Utility choose that image and go to Erase. You can then erase and format the image in a different filesystem, one of them being ISO9660.

MacAddictXIV

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2006
Indeed, I have Roxio, and you can create a iso disk image. The only problem I am having is that you can use that method, but that only allows you to save files within it. Is there any way to save a CD as a iso disk image? is there a application for that?

I take those questions back, the Terminal method worked.

midtoad

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2006
Calgary, Canada
thanks tgage

tgage, those were exactly the instructions I was looking for! I'm needing to make an .iso image of my WinXP CD so I can have Parallels install it.

dal1978

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2007
You can of course automate this...

If you are using Tiger, you can very easily create a shell script in automator to have a 'green button' version of tgage's solution.

1. Insert the CD
2. Open Terminal and run the command: drutil status
3. Make a note of the Name (something like /dev/disk1) - the drive number changes according to what disks you have mounted at the time you issue the command. On my system, I have one internal HD and 3 external HD's. Therefore when I run drutil status i get /dev/disk4 as the name of the current CD/DVD.

4. Open Automator.
5. On the left hand side you will see all the applications you have on your system that can be scripted - select Automator from here and then drag "Run Shell Script" to the right hand pane.
6. You'll probably see an example command "cat" in there already, delete this and type:
diskutil unmount disk1
dd if=/dev/disk1 of=image.iso
diskutil mount disk1

7. Save the script somewhere and voila, you have a green button method of creating iso's and you only had to type the shell commands once.

When you run the script, you will see your CD/DVD unmount then you will know the process is finished as the CD/DVD will be remounted again.

The only caveat is that you must have the same drives mounted when you run the script as you did when you issued the drutil status command, otherwise the disk number of the CD/DVD drive will be different and the whole thing won't work for you. Personally, I mount all my drives first, then pop the CD/DVD in and I know it will always be disk4 (on my system).

If anyone knows how to determine the disk number in the script to get around this caveat, then I think we have a complete solution....

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
if its a DVD, and it has been ripped on ur harddrive as movie folder using mac the ripper

then

u can use freewear dvd imager, it will make the movie folder into a *.iso

another freeware called "simplyburns" can do *iso too.

dfedick

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
A little late, but if anyone else wants it..

I just run this from the command line. You can run it out of Automater as previously stated. (Copy everything between dashes.. and change $userName and $imageName...

---------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash

#########
# Variables #
#########

diskName=$(drutil status | grep "Name:" | awk '{print $4}')
userName=enterUsernameHere
imageName=enterImageNameHere

######
# Body #
######

diskutil unmount ${diskName}
dd if=${diskName} of=/Users/${userName}/Desktop/${imageName}.iso
diskutil mount ${diskName}

jj91709

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2007
question for dfedick

Hi dfedick,
I tried your approach just from the command line with:

#!/bin/bash

#########
# Variables #
#########

userName=jjohnson
imageName=myimage

######
# Body #
######

I get back:
dd: /dev/disk2: Input/output error
41849+0 records in
41849+0 records out
21426688 bytes transferred in 21.626039 secs (990782 bytes/sec)
Macintosh:Desktop jjohnson$ diskutil mount ${diskName}
Volume failed to mount

FYI, when I do drutil status I get:
Macintosh:Desktop jjohnson$ drutil status
Vendor Product Rev
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J FCQA

Type: CD-R Name: /dev/disk2
Sessions: 1 Tracks: 1
Write Speeds: 8x, 24x
Overwritable: 00:00:00 blocks: 0 / 0.00MB / 0.00MiB
Space Free: 75:24:34 blocks: 339334 / 694.96MB / 662.76MiB
Space Used: 02:01:35 blocks: 9110 / 18.66MB / 17.79MiB
Writability: appendable

Any ideas what is occurring here? Thanks a ton. I'd love to see being able to create an automator script for this!

I just run this from the command line. You can run it out of Automater as previously stated. (Copy everything between dashes.. and change $userName and $imageName...

#!/bin/bash

#########
# Variables #
#########

######
# Body #
######

EdifyPro

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
ISO image made EASY !!!

Nowadays.. this is a one click answer.. Roxio's Toast 8.
Literally ONE drag & ONE click = Instant ISO image

halfl1fe

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
.cdr better for parallels->macbook air

hi i followed the instructions in robbieduncan's post for creating .iso file, but my windows virtual machine would not load from it. however, it will load from the .cdr file so actually you can skip the "makehybrid" step.

odoyle81

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
hey I ran into the same problem and just wanted to share my notes:

burning with disk utility didn't work for me (got an "no filesystem found" error when trying to mount it)

burning through the terminal didn't work (got a "permission denied" when I tried to run the dd command)

from this thread, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/297460/
I got the tip to create an image in toast and just rename it to .iso and that worked perfectly

I bet creating an ISO 9660 disc in toast would work as well, but the first method is faster...

Hope that helps some people.

shanghui

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
Use http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net

I use Burn for Mac to copy Discs to iso.

Download and install 'Burn' from http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net (opensource ie free).

Run Burn
Click on Copy button
Drag your disc into the window
Click Save
Uncheck 'Hide extension'
Click Save (to where you want it).

Im using Snow Leopard, so location of the buttons may vary in other flavours of MacOSX.

KrisuTeam

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
Use hdiutil

I was also looking for a way to create an ISO-image to be used with a Windows-virtual machine and I read the post about hdiutil. Read the man page and found instructions on creating straight from a folder:

hdiutil makehybrid -iso -joliet <filename>.iso <folder path to be added>

Thanks for the info and hopefully this helps somebody else.

Kristofer

Tazmik

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2009
Creating ISO's on Mac for Mediagate or VLC

Install
MacTheRipper
DVDImager

1 -MacTheRipper- extract TS_Video. (Freeware) (select RCE 1 for US)

2 - DVDImager- converts TS-Video -> .img. (Freeware)

3 - Rename new .img, Example (Master.img to Master.ISO) highlight name below file icon, rename & hit enter.

4 - In MacOS10: OS asks "Are you sure you want to change extension .IMG to ISO" hit Yes.

(works great as alternative when TS-Video->Xvid Fails to capture the entire set of videos, Example TV season multi-show DVD)

Keywords: Mediagate, Media gate, Media-Gate, MG35, MG35hd, MG45

Calatis

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
works partial

The script works somehow in his mysterious way, I am new with Mac and was simple to... copy paste the script(with the username and image name updated). I was able to generate the iso file from an Audio Cd, however, my mac is not able to do anything with it, I think is corrupted or something. However, I used the file on PC and I was able to burn it, but all the info for tracks were lost so the entire CD is one long song. Funny, it has also 2 seconds of no sound (not pause) between the songs.

Question, am I missing something here, can you please provide some more info if is possible?

Thank you

#!/bin/bash

#########
# Variables #
#########

######
# Body #
######

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.