Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiz561

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Hi!

I was wondering if there was a way to connect to a specific mac address for a wireless access point.

The problem is that I have two AP's with the same SSID. For some reason, my mac likes to connect to the weaker of the two. I got the mac addresses of the AP's and would like to tell my mac to use the other one instead of the weaker one. Just wondering if there's a way...

Thanks!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I don't think there's a way to do this...

That said, you really shouldn't give two wireless access points the same SSID unless they are part of one larger network (created with WDS, for instance). I'm assuming the two wireless access points are controlled by you, and that you know how to correct this issue. If you don't please post here, and I will be glad to assist.

wiz561

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
wireless

It's actually the corporate / campus network here. I have mixed reception, and it really flip-flops between two AP's. I used kismac and saw that there's two AP's on the same channel with different BSSID's.

Since I'm not the admin of the network, I can not make a change to the AP's. However, it would be nice to be able to choose which AP I connect to based upon BSSID.

Thanks!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
It's actually the corporate / campus network here. I have mixed reception, and it really flip-flops between two AP's. I used kismac and saw that there's two AP's on the same channel with different BSSID's.

Since I'm not the admin of the network, I can not make a change to the AP's. However, it would be nice to be able to choose which AP I connect to based upon BSSID.

Thanks!
Now you've got me curious... what is a BSSID? I've heard of SSIDs before but never "BSSID".

Here's a possible solution:
If you're running Panther or earlier I can't help.
If you're running Tiger, I know there's a setting for preferred order of wireless networks to connect to but can't recall where it is :eek:
If you're running Leopard, the setting you want is in System Preferences, under the Network pane. Select AirPort. It's in there, somewhere (I'm not at my Mac right now, alas).

wiz561

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Sorry, BSSID stands for Basic Service Set IDentifier. Basically, it's the MAC address of the access point on the wireless side. If you execute...

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -I

You will see the AP you're connected to along with the bssid.

I checked out your recomendation, and there's only the SSID's listed that you can connect to. If I'm not mistaken, I *think* you can edit the /etc/network/interfaces file on linux and put the bssid to connect to in there.

Thanks!

GarethRWhite

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
Brighton, UK
Possible solution

I was wondering if there was a way to connect to a specific mac address for a wireless access point.

According to this thread you should be able to achieve this with:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport -A'NETWORKNAME' BSSID='00:11:22:33:44:55' password='PASSWORD'

I found that I have to type in the password again even when I specify it as a parameter though.

lagreca

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
I realize this is a very old thread... But I ran into it while needing a command to connect to a specific BSSID. I issued the command:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport -A'LAGnet' BSSID='f8:1e:df:fd:34:9e' password='password'

Very shortly after (maybe a few seconds to a minute), I began to have all kinds of wireless problems on this computer, that now seem to persist through even a clean install of the OS.

The problem is a loss of traffic over the wireless, while the wireless stays associated. Example: I run a ping to my AP, and I will see the pings start to fail, however the airport stays associated, and with a good signal strength (-55 to -60). It will either start passing traffic again after a random amount of time, or I can turn airport off, and back on again, and it will start working. Sometimes for only a few seconds, and sometime for hours.

Ive tried resetting the PRAM (Command Option P R on bootup), but continue to have the problem.

I've opened a trouble ticket with Apple, but they seem to be just as stumped, and have yet to come up with a explanation or fix.

What I'm wondering is, could this command affect NVRAM on the mac, that could persist between formatting the hard drive and doing a clean install? Or is it all just a coincidence and I'm starting to have a hardware failure?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.