Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElCambo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
The fall update allows us to watch .avi videos on the xbox360. However, using connect360 I can't do it! Any news on an update coming out or something to allow us to do this?

skasol

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
yeah, I was disappointed to learn that even with vmware and running vista I wasn't able to connect my 360 to it. for some reason everything works on my vista machine except for that. it just doesn't see it. any help.

bryantlc

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
Does connect 360 still work after today's update? Just not with the new features?

GooMan

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
USA
I'm sure they will release an update within a week or so. That is what they did after last year's fall update.

skillz1318

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
yeah i have been waiting for mac to 360 avi support forever...now that the xbox supports it im hoping connect 360 updates soon and i will purchase it.

GooMan

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
USA
According to a post on Digg just rename your .avi or .divx files to .wmv and they should be picked up and work.
:D

skillz1318

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
According to a post on Digg just rename your .avi or .divx files to .wmv and they should be picked up and work.

It works!!!! just renamed a divx avi movie to wmv connect 360 picked it right up and im watching it on my xbox 360 streaming wirelessly from my mac in the other room!!!!!

Thanks!

ZBoT

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
I searched but could not find this article on Digg. Can you post a link to it? I cannot get this to work. I keep getting an error saying "A media update is required to play this content. Status code: 51-C00DF236"

I even tried sharing through WMP11 on my WinXP machine just to see if that would work but I get the same error. I cannot even play a H.264 file that I used to play before. :mad:

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I searched but could not find this article on Digg. Can you post a link to it? I cannot get this to work. I keep getting an error saying "A media update is required to play this content. Status code: 51-C00DF236"

I even tried sharing through WMP11 on my WinXP machine just to see if that would work but I get the same error. I cannot even play a H.264 file that I used to play before. :mad:

Unless I'm missing something all you have to do is download the "media update" and it should play.

skillz1318

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
yeah i got it working from my mac...renamed avi file to wmv...xbox said it needed to update and asked me if i wanted to...i said yes....it downloaded a 2mb file and then i just clicked play again on the movie and it worked

ZBoT

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
Unless I'm missing something all you have to do is download the "media update" and it should play.
Thanks! I am an idiot! The update it was pointing to was the "Optional Media Update" which I had already downloaded a long time ago so I could play music from my iPod. I had to re-download it and now everything is working fine. :eek:

halomojo

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
Hey everyone. With connect 360 I was able to get a few .avi's to play once I gave them the .wmv extension but only 6 videos show up my video section on my 360. They're videos of the same series (curb your enthusiasm to be exact), so I know they're the correct format. Anyone having the same problem or a fix?

TheDarkOne

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
mp4 works too

Before I read that .wmv worked, I tried .mp4 (since I already had other mp4 videos) and it worked too.

Looks like as long as it is one of the 360 Connect supported file extensions it should automatically make the video available, which in turn gets played with the proper codec by the console.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Since my 360 is in for repairs I can try out the new update. With the update, if you are streaming videos from iTunes (Not ITS videos), does it separate them by Show? I love the idea of streaming my videos to my tv, but it always lists them in alphabetical order through episode names. So I have to know the exact episode name to know what I am playing from a given Show. Has this been solved in this update?

halomojo

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
Before I read that .wmv worked, I tried .mp4 (since I already had other mp4 videos) and it worked too.

Looks like as long as it is one of the 360 Connect supported file extensions it should automatically make the video available, which in turn gets played with the proper codec by the console.

I didn't actually convert the files from .avi to .wmv, I simply changed the file extension as someone stated earlier in here. A few of those worked, but after I changed 6 of them it stopped working. And I do have the full version of connect 360. Any ideas?

In response to if you can sort by shows, no you cannot, I'm waiting for that too! Take care

halomojo

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
Worked out some kinks

Hey everyone, just letting you all know about some things I stumbled upon. I was having trouble making my videos show up even with changing the file extension from .avi to .wmv or .mp4. If you change the file extensions and they're still not showing up in your 360 dashboard try making a new folder on your desktop, just any empty folder and then go into your connect 360s prefs and set that untitled folder as your movie folder. Close system prefs and wait a few seconds. Now switch back the prefs to your regular movie folder (the one with all of your new .mp4 or .wma whatever you changed it to) and you should be good to go. Worked for me.

Now the only thing they need is the ability to use folders so its not so disorganized. Hopefully the update will clean that up and also just allow .avi's to work so we don't need to keep changing them. Take care everyone

moonzilla

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
Berkeley, CA
connect360 v3.2

Hey guys,

in case you didnt know, nullriver released connect360 v3.2 which includes divx/xvid support. have fun streaming!

halomojo

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
Connect 360 3.2 Update

Well, now that the update is out .avi's play seamlessly. You still can't search by folder, but if you're crafty about naming your shows and movies, you'll be alright. For example:

Curb Your Enthusiasm - 1x01 - Larry David.avi
Curb Your Enthusiasm - 1x02 - The Bat Mitzvah.avi

ect...

Thanks for everyone's help. Take care and good luck.

greekappi

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2007
All of the above mentioned video stuff works great for me since updating to version 3.2 BUT, music now does not work at all! Every time I go to play a song it crashes Connect 360 and on the 360 it shows the red circle with the line through it next to the song I tried to play.

Anyone know if Null River is going to fix this.....3.2.1 maybe ha.

ElCambo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
argh I need to contact them and ask if they can fix the videos so they show in separate folders but the contact thing isn't working! :(

x117

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2007
greekappi I am having the same problem but have emailed them.This sux that I cannot listen to my music but the videos work great.Oh well let's just hope they fix it soon.

greekappi

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2007
Yeah, I emailed them also. I'm sure they are fully aware of the problem and will fix it soon.

PerfectCr

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
All of the above mentioned video stuff works great for me since updating to version 3.2 BUT, music now does not work at all! Every time I go to play a song it crashes Connect 360 and on the 360 it shows the red circle with the line through it next to the song I tried to play.

Anyone know if Null River is going to fix this.....3.2.1 maybe ha.
confirmed, same issue here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.