Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
It's not too much of a big deal but because the iphone can play music through its speakers, there would be a potential moment where music will blast through your speakers in a quiet location...aka work.

normally this isn't that big of a deal because when you pull the headphones, the music pauses and goes to your previous volume used without headphones. But its not perfect.

I wish Apple would just give you the option to turn off speaker support when using itunes. so you can only hear the music though headphones.

It happen to me once already, my music was blasting at work and of course, you are gonna panic and first thing you think of is turn off phone but the music will still play. Its like 20 seconds before you settled down and put the volume down.

avalys

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2004
Everyone has their own favorite little thing that they would like their phone to do, but that would be basically useless to most other people.

Apple's strength is that they have realized they do not need to clutter up and overcomplicate their interface by adding all these things.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
I'd like to see iPhones fall out of the sky in retail boxes for me to resell.. but if I crap in one hand and wish in the other which fills up first?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
You could always pause your music before you unplug your headphones.

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
One bug I discovered, which was very embarrassing, happened when I was testing my ringtones on the bus. I had my headphones on but the sound was coming through the speaker, so my new iPhone was quacking and making robot noises on the bus and I didn't realise for ages.

Luckily to spare myself the embarrassment I told this my girlfriend on the phone load enough what happened and how embarrassed I was so that people knew that I didn't mean them to be playing aloud.

tylerww7

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2007
But if you crap in the toilet you could use both hands to wish, thus doubling the chance of the wish coming true. Simple logic.[/QUOTE]

OMG im so using that as my sig

tsubaki

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
I too would Like to see disable speaker option for iPhone

I have these bluetooth headphones which work pretty well with the iPhone, except that the tinny little speakers are also blaring at the same time. Kind of pointless, and annoying to those around.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Problem's gonna get worse soon - you can play games on your iPhone, and those *won't* pause when you unplug your headphones unless the developer specifically programmed their game to do so.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I hope there are no drawbacks like that when I get the iPhone.

I've already had several embarrassing moments with my Sony Ericcson Walkman.

As the Sony actually has a large play button on the side. It plays the music through it's rear speaker. So many times while with other people at work, suddenly from my pocket music starts playing. I've finally had to create a playlist with a single ring tone so when it does happen, it just appears I got a call.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Seems like the speaker should have a different volume control over the headphone control. That way you can at least mute it until you need it. Or just a disable option for multimedia type functions.

Or, is there any kind of silent mode, similar to other phones? Possible would mute anything that tried to play with the exception of multimedia and games over headphones?

Lavezzi

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Has a solution been found yet?

I've had two really embarrassing moments today when my iPhone has started blasting out my music straight from the speaker by accident.

Normally I'd be ok with it but i've been sitting in the silent section of the library, so everytime it happens I feel like running away in shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.