Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gerard.

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Ive noticed today, when i went to torrent some movies that when i add them, its not creating the file on my desktop, or anywhere on my mac But it still says its downloading? at the moment ive downloaded 62mb of a torrent and still no file has been created for it? Can anyone help me with this?

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
The latest build seems to be buggy from my experiences with it as well. Quitting the application always causes it to hang, requiring a force quit.

Gerard.

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
yea i find that too, ive noticed the more torrents you have, the longer it hangs.. it usually takes around 5 seconds for it to quit on its own.

giyad

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
Ive noticed today, when i went to torrent some movies that when i add them, its not creating the file on my desktop, or anywhere on my mac But it still says its downloading? at the moment ive downloaded 62mb of a torrent and still no file has been created for it? Can anyone help me with this?

Check out the transmission forums. It seems as though its the new version .95, if you can try and revert back to .94

Woody2099

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2007
ottawa
Quit problems

I have been running T for a month now w/ no problems. Latest update has killed it.
My custom settings were blown away, the downloads are not showing up to the default or custom folder or desktop.
Also, if you shut it down, it loses all progress on any current files downloading.

Brutal release; but good product.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
As much as I like and want to use Transmission, the 0.9x releases have been terrible in my experience.

• Crashing bad on Quit
  • Ultra-slow download speeds
  • Screwed port-mapping
  • Files bloating up then not working
  • Files part downloading then restarting from 0% if you reload the app (not fun when you waste Gbs of bandwidth)
  • Hash checks seem totally random and inaccurate

I came back when 0.72 was released and trialled it for a good while until 0.82. They did not suffer as badly but downloads are not as quick as other clients. Once 0.9x hit, problems again. Thus, sadly, I'm stuck with Azureus again. Somehow I always go back to it but it seems quite OK thesedays. Not keen on the Vuse thing at all, though but speeds are lightning-quick and it finds many more peers than Transmission ever did.

Reading the Transmission forums form the 0.96 tests, I can't be certain the bloating files and loss of part downloads is 100% fixed. Hopefully Transmission can return to glory soon. :)

Gerard.

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
hmmm. I cant use Azureus, it dosnt have the option to configure which files your downloading within the torrent, which is vital to me. Ill just have to downgrade transmission and stick it out :(

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
Yeah 0.95 was terrible. But hey! its work in progress, its free and really nice App.
0.96 is touch better, though still crashing on quite and takes all my RAM (4Gigs!!). Thats only app Im having pageouts actually :rolleyes:
0.82 is much better choice for now

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
I don't know about all these issues you all are experiencing with Transmission but I know that it will eat your time machine drive if you don't exclude the download folder. .95 has worked like a charm, but I will give .96 a go and see if anything happens.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
hmmm. I cant use Azureus, it dosnt have the option to configure which files your downloading within the torrent, which is vital to me. Ill just have to downgrade transmission and stick it out :(

Wait. What? Azureus had that feature LONG before Transmission ever did. When you open a torrent in Az, that list of files below with checkboxes can be used to select which files you want to get. :confused:

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Wait. What? Azureus had that feature LONG before Transmission ever did. When you open a torrent in Az, that list of files below with checkboxes can be used to select which files you want to get. :confused:

Yeah 0.95 was terrible. But hey! its work in progress, its free and really nice App.
0.96 is touch better, though still crashing on quite and takes all my RAM (4Gigs!!). Thats only app Im having pageouts actually :rolleyes:
0.82 is much better choice for now

Yes you can indeed do this in Azureus. I didn't know you could do it in Transmission :confused:

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Yes you can indeed do this in Azureus. I didn't know you could do it in Transmission :confused:

You can, but you have to select it after the torrent is already added to your client. It's incredibly stupid. You've got to go to the info page, etc, and click them, or click the little gear beneath the torrent and select there. This is why I have torrents to load as paused instead of as started, so I can uncheck stuff if needed. Of course, back when I ran XP, I had µTorrent, which *automatically* brought up a box upon torrent download that allowed you to sign off on what you wanted to get, or simply press enter to get it all.

As I said in a different post, I honestly can't believe there isn't anything close to µTorrent for OS X yet. It's absolutely incredible. Windows users (like me) take that program for granted; it's hands-down the single best client in existence, bar none. Yet there's nothing like it available for Macs. I'm still kind of shocked. I'm going to give Deluge a try when my MB comes tomorrow, because on the surface, it looks somewhat similar, but it still boggles the mind that OS X doesn't have a standout client yet. I mean, seriously, how many years has it been since bittorrent came out?

martin5211

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
slow downloads

As much as I like and want to use Transmission, the 0.9x releases have been terrible in my experience.

• Crashing bad on Quit
  • Ultra-slow download speeds
  • Screwed port-mapping
  • Files bloating up then not working
  • Files part downloading then restarting from 0% if you reload the app (not fun when you waste Gbs of bandwidth)
  • Hash checks seem totally random and inaccurate

I came back when 0.72 was released and trialled it for a good while until 0.82. They did not suffer as badly but downloads are not as quick as other clients. Once 0.9x hit, problems again. Thus, sadly, I'm stuck with Azureus again. Somehow I always go back to it but it seems quite OK thesedays. Not keen on the Vuse thing at all, though but speeds are lightning-quick and it finds many more peers than Transmission ever did.

Reading the Transmission forums form the 0.96 tests, I can't be certain the bloating files and loss of part downloads is 100% fixed. Hopefully Transmission can return to glory soon. :)

That worked! Thanks.

I'm using Transmission 0.72 on Leopard 10.5.1 now. Newer releases (including 1.04) works very slowly on my mac. I've revised ports and firewalls and all seems ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.