Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesheep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
OK so I have an ACTIVATED iPhone purchased in the US (on AT&T's 'pay as you go' plan). Firmware is version 1.1

I'm now in the UK and I used appsnap (jailbreakme.com) to jailbreak the phone. Then I installed FreeBSD subsystem, Community source thing, and OpenSSH.

Then I installed anySIM. All seemed to work fine.

I put my UK (Vodafone) SIM card into the phone, and ran anySIM. Followed the prompts on screen. anySIM reported that the unlock was successful.

However, I am not able to use my unlocked phone. The phone said that the SIM had been changed and that I needed to connect to iTunes. I connected to iTunes (version 7.5) and it said that "There is no carrier that supports the installed SIM Card in the iPhone."

I thought maybe the problem is the version of iTunes (7.5) so I downgraded my iTunes to version 7.4.2

I also powered down the phone, then restarted it. Now the phone says that I must connect to iTunes in order to activate it. Seems that it is no longer activated.

When I connect to iTunes it says I cannot activate the phone with version 7.4.2, I must upgrade 7.5...

Any advice gratefully received!

ascham87

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Same thing happened to me on a legally activated AT&T US iPhone that I needed to unlock for traveling abroad. The below walkthrough is what worked for me. (Credit goes to vomer from the Hackint0sh.org forums)
Also, for your powered down then not activated problem, just take the sim card out and it'll instantly be "active" again.

- Get this file: http://rapid$hare.com/files/63231299/lockdownds.zip.htmlhttp://rapid$hare.com/files/63231299/lockdownds.zip.html (change the $ sign for an S in the url)
- Upload the three files to your /usr/libexec folder on your iphone
- Set permissions to 0755 to the three files
- Rename the file called lockdownd on your /usr/libexec folder to lockdownd.back
- Rename the file lockdownd.1.0.2 to lockdownd
- Download iAsign (http://rapid$hare.com/files/64056361/iasign.zip CHANGE THE $ TO S IN THE LINK)
- There is a file called iphoneactivation.pem under the /iAsign/bin/ folder of the zip you just downloaded
- Upload this file to your iphone, to the folder /System/Library/Lockdown
- Get Putty from here http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/.../x86/putty.exe
- Connect to your iPhone using putty (user: root password: alpine)
- Run this command without the quotes "killall lockdownd"
- Extract the iasign folder to your C:/ Drive (That folder can be found in this file >> http://d.turboupload.com/d/2098918/unlock111.zip.html)
- Open a command line in your pc (Start menu > Run > cmd)
- Navigate to the folder where you have iasign.exe (This means you need to point the command prompt to the iasign folder)

ieph6s.png

- Now run this command from the command line "iasign --automatic iPhoneActivation_private.pem"
- Your iphone should popup a message telling you that it is Activated
- Now rename lockdownd to lockdownd.1.0.2 using WinSCP (This is in /usr/libexec)
- Now rename lockdownd.swap to lockdownd using WinSCP (This is in /usr/libexec)
- Run this command without the quotes "killall lockdownd" on putty
- Restart your phone
- And it should be unlocked by now

thesheep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
Thanks for throwing this lifeline.

I notice the instructions mention the file lockdownd.1.0.2

The lockdownd zip file also contains lockdownd.1.1.1

Since I am on firmware version 1.1.1, should I use this file instead?

ascham87

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Nope, follow the instructions as posted and odds are you will be successful. I also have a 1.1.1 unlocked in basically the same fashion as yours and this was the only thing that corrected it. Now it works fine on USA T-Mobile and UK Orange. I was confused at the 1.0.2 lockdownd part, but just follow the instructions anyways and they work.

thesheep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
OK.

I got as far as running "killall lockdownd".

But when I try to run iASign.exe on Windows, I get the following error:

"This application has failed to start because QTMLClient.dll was not found."

I also read the README file and tried running the Mac version:

./iASign.mac --automatic iPhoneActivation_private.pem

But it hangs on "Waiting for iPhone..."

So I'm a bit lost now...

Actually the unlocked SIM seems to be working fine already, but I'm guessing I may have problems if I connect to iTunes, which I'm cautious about doing in case it messes it all up before I've finished the procedure.

thesheep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
I also tried downloading and installing the missing QTMLclient.dll but it says there was an error registering the DLL file. Grrr....

ascham87

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Actually the unlocked SIM seems to be working fine already, but I'm guessing I may have problems if I connect to iTunes, which I'm cautious about doing in case it messes it all up before I've finished the procedure.

You may be fine. I know that I didn't follow all the steps until the end and reconnected it to iTunes and it worked fine. There is nothing that iTunes can do "automagically" to update your phone to 1.1.2 and lock it without you telling it to. So I wouldn't worry. If it's working with your sim already, just try it out for awhile and see what happens.

thesheep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, that's what I found. When I did connect to iTunes, I didn't have any problems. So it seems that going as far as 'killall lockdownd' was enough in my case to unlock it.

In case anyone else is reading this - don't forget to change your iPhone password using SSH once you've done all this. Don't leave it as 'alpine'. You can use the Unix command 'passwd' to change it.

The only remaining question I have now is, can I safely update to new versions of iTunes? Or must I leave it at 7.4.2 (I'm assuming updating the iPhone's firmware is a no-go).

Thanks for the help.

ascham87

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
There are some somewat simple guides for updating to 1.1.2, however I haven't done so yet so I would be of no help. As for iTunes, I'm on 7.5 with zero problems, so feel free to upgrade to 7.5

joshstanley91

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2007
Same Problem But For Orange And Vodafone

OK so I have an ACTIVATED iPhone purchased in the US (on AT&T's 'pay as you go' plan). Firmware is version 1.1

I'm now in the UK and I used appsnap (jailbreakme.com) to jailbreak the phone. Then I installed FreeBSD subsystem, Community source thing, and OpenSSH.

Then I installed anySIM. All seemed to work fine.

I put my UK (Vodafone) SIM card into the phone, and ran anySIM. Followed the prompts on screen. anySIM reported that the unlock was successful.

However, I am not able to use my unlocked phone. The phone said that the SIM had been changed and that I needed to connect to iTunes. I connected to iTunes (version 7.5) and it said that "There is no carrier that supports the installed SIM Card in the iPhone."

I thought maybe the problem is the version of iTunes (7.5) so I downgraded my iTunes to version 7.4.2

I also powered down the phone, then restarted it. Now the phone says that I must connect to iTunes in order to activate it. Seems that it is no longer activated.

When I connect to iTunes it says I cannot activate the phone with version 7.4.2, I must upgrade 7.5...

Any advice gratefully received!

Sorry Im not giving advice but i have the same problem as well but with out the itunes bit!!! Hope Someone Can Give us the answer wete looking for

Thanks

thesheep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
Hi Josh

Can you be more specific?

If you are trying to unlock your v1.1.1 phone, which was previously bought and activated on AT&T in the USA, have you tried following the instructions posted above? What happened?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.