Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwkicks

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
I dont know about your router but I know that I have two airport express and they can be linked together to extend the range.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Edit: Removed wise-@$$ remark - why? Because that is so simple - I must be misunderstanding entirely.

If you can see this website - you router is doing both - otherwise you would not be seeing this website.

I think you're asking something else on a level I cannot understand.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
I have a wired connection now. But I need my PowerMac G5 (which doesn't have bluetooth or Airport card) to connect wirelessly to the apartment I'm moving into. I use a router now (that is wireless enabled but thus far has been used WITH wires) to connect my 360, PS3... but wasn't sure if in the apartment I could just use the router to receive the signal to my G5.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
From wikipedia 802.11 search...

Wireless network bridges connect a wired network to a wireless network. This is different from an access point in the sense that an access point connects wireless devices to a wired network at the data-link layer. Two wireless bridges may be used to connect two wired networks over a wireless link, useful in situations where a wired connection may be unavailable, such as between two separate homes.

Also worth looking at is "ad hoc mode".

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Well as your G5 doesn't have an airport card, the only way to go about things would be to wire your router to the G5 and also have a wireless signal going to your Xbox and PS3, since those do have wireless cards.

Or... I see. You could also create a wireless network from your wired G5 to send out a wireless signal to your router which would be connected to the game consoles. The G5 is capable of creating a wireless network, while the consoles, I presume, are not.

In any case, the G5 will have to be wired, because it doesn't have an airport card.

Is that right? I don't know if I completely understood your situation or not...

irmongoose

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Well as your G5 doesn't have an airport card, the only way to go about things would be to wire your router to the G5 and also have a wireless signal going to your Xbox and PS3, since those do have wireless cards.

Or... I see. You could also create a wireless network from your wired G5 to send out a wireless signal to your router which would be connected to the game consoles. The G5 is capable of creating a wireless network, while the consoles, I presume, are not.

In any case, the G5 will have to be wired, because it doesn't have an airport card.

Is that right? I don't know if I completely understood your situation or not...

irmongoose

Thanks. Though SADLY it'll be a month or two til I have my 360 hooked up back to LIVE since I have to buy that gay $100 receiver. PS3 has wifi out of the box, 360 doesn't.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
360 dosen't have wifi built in? That sucks.

FYI - it might be cheaper to get a WIFI USB dongle for your iMac than your 360 - might be worth checking the prices.

If the iMac is cheaper - run the 360 and PS3 wired - and run the iMac WIFI. Besides - Wired does do better for online gaming. (lower ping time and fewer drop outs - which can make games frustrating sometimes - COD4)

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Thanks. Though SADLY it'll be a month or two til I have my 360 hooked up back to LIVE since I have to buy that gay $100 receiver. PS3 has wifi out of the box, 360 doesn't.

If you want to save a few bucks, try going for an "ethernet game adapter." Linksys, Belkin, & D-Link all have their own device... it is essentially a wireless to ethernet bridge. Although it isn't quite as pretty as the 360 adapter, it'll get the job done just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.