Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rzaroch36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Hello new poster here.

Had my second gen power pc imac g5 for two years and it worked great...until the other week.

It started when I had a problem with my airport. One day i started it up and it told me my airport was not there, like it vanished or something.

Then I went to restart my computer and guess what-it couldnt! got about 30 seconds into boot up and then crashed.

After a few more failed attempts it finally started again and-my airport worked fine.

It went back and forth like this for about a week, not starting then booting up fine with no airport, then crashing, then booting up fine with airport. Now, it just won't boot up at all.

It seems to be a hardware issue. I don't know if I should send it in or figure it out myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

imac g5 power pc
2 ghz
1g ram
OS X 10.4.1

rzaroch36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
actually i might have an upgrade from 10.4.1 but that was just a guess.

I don't think the problem is software though, just curious if anybody has had a similar problem or knows about a similar problem.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Console is an app in the Utilities folder. It keeps logs of what the system is doing and a few of these monitor crashes. Sometimes information from these can help find the culprit for the crashing. Feel free to post the crash log(s) here if you don't understand them and I'm sure someone will be able to help. :)

rzaroch36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Console is an app in the Utilities folder. It keeps logs of what the system is doing and a few of these monitor crashes. Sometimes information from these can help find the culprit for the crashing. Feel free to post the crash log(s) here if you don't understand them and I'm sure someone will be able to help. :)

The problem is that My computer won't even boot up enough-it crashes while booting so I can't perform any functions.

I will try the boot dvd and post again.

timestamp

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
The problem is that My computer won't even boot up enough-it crashes while booting so I can't perform any functions.

I will try the boot dvd and post again.

You probably have a problem like mine. It wouldn't boot. Try to boot into safe boot: Hold shift on boot. I am guessing it will boot up just fine. For me it was the logic board and the power supply. The power supply is covered: http://www.apple.com/au/support/imac/powersupply/repairextension/

The logic board is not. You can make a case however that the logic board should also be covered as it is probably bad caps, which was a problem with the first iMac g5: http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

Gives us your EMC number and the first 5 characters of your serial number, I will be able to help you in making a case if your iMac is covered.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
My father's computer would randomly shut down after ~30min of usage. Power supply had gone bad--took it into the Apple store, explained the situation, they put in a new supply and it's been good since then.

Obviously not identical, but perhaps a more egregious form?

timestamp

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
My father's computer would randomly shut down after ~30min of usage. Power supply had gone bad--took it into the Apple store, explained the situation, they put in a new supply and it's been good since then.

Obviously not identical, but perhaps a more egregious form?

Most likely it is both, it is possible for the bad power supply to cause bad caps. Which means the logic board should be covered as well.

If you are adventurous OP, have a look inside (it is easy to open, just don't take anything out) and look at the capacitors. See if any look like the bulging ones here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

If they do, you will need a new logic board. If your EMC is 2056, I can help you make sure it gets repaired completely.

rzaroch36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
You probably have a problem like mine. It wouldn't boot. Try to boot into safe boot: Hold shift on boot. I am guessing it will boot up just fine. For me it was the logic board and the power supply. The power supply is covered: http://www.apple.com/au/support/imac/powersupply/repairextension/

The logic board is not. You can make a case however that the logic board should also be covered as it is probably bad caps, which was a problem with the first iMac g5: http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

Gives us your EMC number and the first 5 characters of your serial number, I will be able to help you in making a case if your iMac is covered.

Well I tried the boot into safe mode and ran the hardware diagnostic check.

Everything passed successfully.

It still won't boot all the way, so I figured I had to reinstall OSX. I put my the first disc in and the installation went great until it asked me to restart my computer-and of course, the computer would NOT restart.

So if it isn't a hardware problem, and everything was fine during reinstall, what is it?

My comp just crashes during the grey apple screen every time.

One thing i did notice-the fan seems to running faster than normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.