Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
I would like to play unplayed podcasts sequentially on my iPod.

I created a playlist with unplayed podcasts in iTunes, and it copies fine to my iPod, but when I drill down to this play list on my iPod and play one, it plays and then stops. I have to drill down again, and then see that the podcast that I just played is still in that playlist, so I need to remember which is the next unread podcast.

I can play podcasts in this playlist sequentially with no problem on iTunes on my computer - but I can't do the same thing on my iPod.

P.S.
This Mac Forum's spell checker recognizes podcast, but not playlist, iTunes, unplayed, nor iPod.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Which iPod?

Make sure you have shuffle songs turned off, that may help.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
They're off in iTunes, that's why it works correctly there. I haven't figured out how to make my iPod work the way iTunes does.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. On your ipod, is shuffling songs turned off? With it on, it will only play one podcast then stop.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yep

Be sure shuffling is off and repeat is on. I had this same problem with my iPhone and those settings seemed to fix it.

They now play back to back in the playlist.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
Be sure shuffling is off and repeat is on. I had this same problem with my iPhone and those settings seemed to fix it.

They now play back to back in the playlist.

Shuffling and repeat are on when I play them on my iTunes. I assume that means they are also on when I play them on my iPod. That's the way it appears to work with my playlists.

(Why does the spell checker in this forum not recognize iTunes, iPod, & playlist?)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Shuffling and repeat are on when I play them on my iTunes. I assume that means they are also on when I play them on my iPod. That's the way it appears to work with my playlists.

Nope. iTunes and iPod have separate shuffle features (same with repeat). Turning them on in one has no effect on the other.

It doesn't matter how you have iTunes set.

Go to the options on your iPod and turn shuffle songs off. I don't think repeat matters. They should keep playing now.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
Ejecting my iPod to get to the menus and putting on my reading glasses...

I see that I can have Shuffle set to "Albums", "Songs", and "Off", but those are general settings - not applicable for just one part of my iPod's music. (Podcasts, playlists, etc.).

But my other playlists don't play just one song then stop - the shuffle works for them the way I want.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I see that I can have Shuffle set to "Albums", "Songs", and "Off"

That's it. Set it to off, and your podcasts should keep playing.

, but those are general settings - not applicable for just one part of my iPod's music. (Podcasts, playlists, etc.).

Yep, but that doesn't matter.

But my other playlists don't play just one song then stop - the shuffle works for them the way I want.

Podcasts are just handled differently. In iTunes, there's a song parameter that says "skip when shuffling". For podcasts, it defaults to being checked, but you could go and change it for all podcasts if you wanted.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
That's it. Set it to off, and your podcasts should keep playing.

Yep, but that doesn't matter.

Podcasts are just handled differently. In iTunes, there's a song parameter that says "skip when shuffling". For podcasts, it defaults to being checked, but you could go and change it for all podcasts if you wanted.

I found one as an attribute for each individual podcast download, but nothing to set for a default.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I'll try it as soon as I figure out how to do it for the one playlist only.

You can't it's a global setting.

FWIW. The "Shuffle Songs" menu item from the top menu will work regardless of the shuffle setting, skipping all "Skip when shuffling" content including podcasts. Note too that with the latest iPods, you can change the shuffle setting on the fly while playing music, but this option is not available when you are playing podcasts.

If you use smart playlists, you could have them shuffle play order for specific playlists every time you sync, but you still need to turn shuffle OFF in the iPod to play podcasts sequentially.

B

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I'll try it as soon as I figure out how to do it for the one playlist only.

YOU CAN'T DO IT FOR ONE PLAYLIST ONLY.

It's a global setting.

Turn it off globally.

Then try the podcasts.

That's all there is to it. If you want to shuffle songs, turn it back on after you're done listening to podcasts.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It doesn't appear that I can do what I want.

Someday iPods may have a version of OS-X in them giving me the detailed control I want. But not yet.

Just to be clear...

Did you set your iPod so shuffle songs was off? Yes or no?

And after you set shuffle songs to off, it still only would play one podcast, then stop?

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
Just to be clear...

Did you set your iPod so shuffle songs was off? Yes or no?

And after you set shuffle songs to off, it still only would play one podcast, then stop?

No I did not. I don't think it is important to test that feature when it isn't supposed to accomplish what I want, which is to have shuffled songs and podcasts not backing out without having to reset my iPod between times.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
No I did not. I don't think it is important to test that feature when it isn't supposed to accomplish what I want, which is to have shuffled songs and podcasts not backing out without having to reset my iPod between times.

Wow. So after multiple users trying to help you out, you're not even willing to TRY the solution to see if it works?

Yeesh, you're never going to be happy, might as well switch to a zune or something so we can be done with you.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
Wow. So after multiple users trying to help you out, you're not even willing to TRY the solution to see if it works?

Yeesh, you're never going to be happy, might as well switch to a zune or something so we can be done with you.

OK, I'll try it. But you *told* me it wouldn't do what I want. So you criticize me for believing you.

It will be a couple of weeks though, as my iTunes is aborting, and got rid of my podcasts on my iPod as it tried to synchronize them. I'm going to buy a Mac Pro after Mac Expo and getting rid of my buggy Windows machine. Until then, I have to accept that what people told me on this newsgroup is accurate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.