Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Argelius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
Now that I'm all settled into Leopard, I'm really missing Mail Appetizer (a Mail preference pane that would pop up a notification window (that would also let you delete and reply to emails) whenever you got an email.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Leopard (and appears to be no longer supported).

Growl seems to be the only Leopard-compatible alternative, but, alas, the last I checked its Mail plug-in doesnt work yet.

Does anyone know if it's available yet? (Or other ideas for new Mail notification popups?

Thanks.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I am waiting for this also. As I understand it the plugin structure for Mail in Leopard is different so all existing plug-ins need to be re-written / adjusted for this.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
is there a way to get more information posted for growl mail when it growls? like who sent the email, the subject and maybe a couple lines of what it is about?

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
There is a temporary workaround which I am using. It's not the best, but does give you Growl notifications.

1. open the script editor and copy the code below into a new script
2. run it once from the script editor to register the script with growl (you can now configure it in Growl's system preferences)
3. save it somewhere on your Mac
4. Open Mail preferences and create a new rule with the condition "every message" and the action "run applescript" with a link to the script you just saved

Code:
tell application "GrowlHelperApp"
	set the allNotificationsList to {"Mail", "Junk Mail"}
	set the enabledNotificationsList to {"Mail", "Junk Mail"}
	register as application "Growl Mail Rule" all notifications allNotificationsList ¬
		default notifications enabledNotificationsList ¬
		icon of application "Script Editor"
end tell

using terms from application "Mail"
	on perform mail action with messages messageList
		repeat with thisMessage in messageList
			set theSender to sender of thisMessage
			set theSubject to subject of thisMessage
			if junk mail status of thisMessage is true then
				set noteType to "Junk Mail"

else
				set noteType to "Mail"
			end if
			tell application "GrowlHelperApp" to notify with name noteType ¬
				title noteType description ¬
				"From: " & theSender & return & return & "Subject: " & theSubject ¬
				application name "Growl Mail Rule"
		end repeat
	end perform mail action with messages
end using terms from

dec0de

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
Nashville, TN
You can get growl to work in leopard. After you install it you will not see it in the preferences box because of the way that plug-ins are handled in leopard. Type the following commands in terminal and you should now see it.

Be sure you exit Mail first.

defaults write com.apple.mail EnableBundles -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.mail BundleCompatibilityVersion -int 3

Open Mail and you should see GrowlMail.

Hope this helps.

Clusty

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
You can get growl to work in leopard. After you install it you will not see it in the preferences box because of the way that plug-ins are handled in leopard. Type the following commands in terminal and you should now see it.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, but that didn't work for me.

nemex

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Mexico
Have you guys tried this?. I've installed and have been using it in Leopard, and so far so good.

Happy New Year! :apple:

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Have you guys tried this?. I've installed and have been using it in Leopard, and so far so good.

Happy New Year! :apple:

OK, I am a pretty dumb newbie. I've installed the GrowlMail-rewrite.mpkg but nothing seems to have happened. I've looked for GrowlMail in my Applications folder, but it does not seem to be there. I've restarted Growl, but it doesn't show any applications other than GrowlMenu and Adium. What happened to GrowlMail? Sorry for being ignorant about how Growl works.

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
OK, I am a pretty dumb newbie. I've installed the GrowlMail-rewrite.mpkg but nothing seems to have happened. I've looked for GrowlMail in my Applications folder, but it does not seem to be there. I've restarted Growl, but it doesn't show any applications other than GrowlMenu and Adium. What happened to GrowlMail? Sorry for being ignorant about how Growl works.

Go to preferences in Mail. On the tabs at the top, there will be an overflow arrow (>). Click on that, and you will see the GrowlMail preferences. If you don't see it, chances are you need to close Mail and install it again (you probably had it open the first time round).

You need to wait a bit of time before it appears in the list of Growl applications - it should register itself with Growl automatically the first time a new email comes in.

imgeekboy

Cancelled
Dec 26, 2007

Hope this helps.

Thank You so Much! The update didn't even work for me. Thank you it worked flawlessly!

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan

Anyone have another link to this Leopardized version? The d/l link for the file at the page TUAW links to is now dead.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Go to preferences in Mail. On the tabs at the top, there will be an overflow arrow (>). Click on that, and you will see the GrowlMail preferences. If you don't see it, chances are you need to close Mail and install it again (you probably had it open the first time round).

You need to wait a bit of time before it appears in the list of Growl applications - it should register itself with Growl automatically the first time a new email comes in.

Thanks tibi08 for your kind reply. My problem is that I didn't know I had to type in the terminal commands.

Code:

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
The link is gone.If only we knew the name of the applications,we could look for it somewhere.:D

The real Growl betas have worked fine in Leopard for some time now. Go straight to the source for it. There is no further need for the workaround that was posted back in January.

That is what the "this" above was in reference to.

bigrobb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2008
Tennessee
i downloaded the beta version and installed the growl mail but it doesnt show up in the mail preferences. I had mail closed when i installed it, i cant seem to get growl to work at all in leopard i have tried like 3different things is there any other program that will do the same as growl mail that works in leopard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.