Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Hi- I have a home wifi network. A Macbook and Macbook Pro. I selected a folder on each computer to be shared and did not touch any other settings. File sharing is set to "on" and when I click on the other computer in the Finder, it connects, but the only folder I see is "Computer's Public Folder." It will not show the folder I set to share.

Please help. Thank you.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
In Finder, the computer shows up and it automatically connects as guest when I select it and the only folder that it shows being shared is the public folder which contains the drop box.

It will not show a folder on the other computer that I set to share.

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
In Finder, the computer shows up and it automatically connects as guest when I select it and the only folder that it shows being shared is the public folder which contains the drop box.

It will not show a folder on the other computer that I set to share.

Shared using which protocol? AFP? SMB?

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
you have to click "Connect as" and then type in the username and password of the account on the Mac that you are connecting to.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
How can you make it share the folder for guests? If I want to share a folder as a one-time thing, I don't want to give my password out, etc.

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
on the Mac you want to share, go into SYSTEM PREFS, then SHARING.

Make sure FILE SHARING is ticked and then check the options in there for SHARED FOLDERS.
You can add or remove the shared folders and also change the rights for public access.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I did that and I put "everyone" for this one folder I want to share... Still, its not sharing... The other computer will not see it.

Remember, this is connecting as a guest.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I did that and I put "everyone" for this one folder I want to share... Still, its not sharing... The other computer will not see it.

Im having the same problem.

Everyone=Guest right?

I have an imac i want to share folders from and an ibook that im working on. I have no problem adding a new folder in the sharing preferences but the ibook only sees the public folder. Also when i try connecting as the admin of the imac i get that user´s home folder plus the other folder i wanted to share but when i disconnect and want to connect as a sharing only user and i enter that users username and password it still connects as the admin of the imac.

Now i cant even turn of file sharing. System preference just hangs and slows down the entire computer if i try to change something there

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK

Not sure why that is? I have just checked on my shares and I have "Everyone" and also another account called "Guests". This "Guests" account isnt one that I have added and on the small picture icon it shows a picture of 2 heads. If I try and add another "Guests" account access onto a drive that isnt shared then a picture of only 1 head appears.
To me the "Guests" account is a system account that OSX has added on one of my drives, so not sure how to recreate that (sorry I am no expert).
Maybe someone else can help here?

1 other thing I can suggest is in the interim maybe it would be easier to create another generic account as oppose to the "everyone" or "Guests" account and try that?

*edit: just found some more info, you should look in the "Account Prefs" within "System Prefs" it has some information regarding turning on and off "Guest" accounts.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
The guest account on the computer shouldn't matter...

In Windows, if make a folder a shared folder, EVERYONE can access it.

In OSX, all you should have to do is enable sharing on that folder and everything should be fine...

unconcious

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
click on "connect as" then type the name of computer you want to connect and password.

It took me a couple of tries before it actually did it but now the problem i am having is connecting to the hardrive that's connect to my airport. It will connect but if the computer goes to sleep I loose the connection and it doesn't seem to want to connect again unless i go into the airport utility and turn off and then on airport.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I don't think some people that are responding are reading the problem I"m having.....

I shouldn't have to click on "connect as" because I want GUESTS to be able to access the shared folders. So there shouldn't be any passwords...

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Go into your System Preferences, click on Accounts, then click on the Guest account. There will be a checkbox that says "Allow Guests to connect to shared folders." Make sure that is checked. If so, anyone who connects as a guest should be able to see any folders that you have placed in your shared folders section in the Sharing pane. You're right that giving Read or Read and Write access to Everyone means they could see it, but you have to enable Guest access to the computer in general first.

jW

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Mal-

I know I have guest enabled, but I'll check on the sharing preference when I get home. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll let you know the result!

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Sorry Johny- Must have skipped over it for some reason... Thanks! I'll know in a couple hours if this solves the problem...

So does that mean if I'm telling someone to share a folder with me, I have to tell them to enable guest accounts and guest account sharing? Seems like a pain... I'll give Windows this one... In Windows, you just enable the folder to be shared to whoever (everyone) and that's it.

Go into your System Preferences, click on Accounts, then click on the Guest account. There will be a checkbox that says "Allow Guests to connect to shared folders." Make sure that is checked. If so, anyone who connects as a guest should be able to see any folders that you have placed in your shared folders section in the Sharing pane. You're right that giving Read or Read and Write access to Everyone means they could see it, but you have to enable Guest access to the computer in general first.

jW

thanks! Didn't think to look there...it should be easier (or more out there) but thanks! It works now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.