Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chadder

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
Bozeman, Montana
What i want

I think that the the sub-notebook (Macbook Mini) Should have an open bay on the bottom so that different accessories can be inserted in and taken out when needed, such as:

An optical drive can be put in when needed

Another hard drive for maybe TimeMachine

A second battery for the long trips

or anything else a person wants.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
4 minutes until the new year and here I am checking out Apple rumors. ^_^ I'm such a geek. I hope these rumors do come true I was looking forward to upgrading my 1st gen MacBook the last go around in October(November?) but so little was changed I couldn't justify a purchase, and put off a purchase for my SO also. Hopefully after MacWorld i can get her a laptop and maybe me a new one too. Although I was thinking about waiting until mid next year when something is running the Nehalem stuff from Intel.

Happy New Years everyone!

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
Waiting for 2 weeks is killing me!!

I just broke my old dell laptop...so I want to finally get my macbook, but I know in 2 weeks Apple is coming out with something big...I CAN'T WAIT!!! I can't wait for the new laptop!

Christian H

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Notice how quietly the Macbooks got updated...Apple didn't even grant the notable santa rosa chipset change a public announcement. While the update didn't dramatically change performance, I think the way Apple treated this update has something to do with the new laptops. I don't know how it's going to affect Macbook sales, but I'm sure Steve is going to either put emphasis on a new Mac Pro update and/or these new laptops. The pro's need updates badly, and I doubt that they will go overlooked at Macworld.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
1) I think the iTunes Disney fox movie rental deal makes more sense now. People use the optical drives for very little on the road except for movies while sitting in airplanes. Now there is an easy way to get movies for the DVD-less ultraportable.

2) current macbooks have a multitouch trackpad. At least it is capable of sensing two touches. Wouldn't it be a 10.5 feature rather than a hardware feature to have multitouch a and if so why cant all macbooks get this feature as a leopard update? If a new hardware multitouch pad is coming out wouldn't we know about it because of some hidden code in leopard right now?

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
I hope Apple update the Macbook PRo with the new processor and track pad. Apple also better ship better quality displays too ( re: yellow screens ).

I'd be horrified if Mac Pro's went untouched.

It would be great if the MBP screen could be detached and thus turn itself into a mobile device.... however, you'd need ( lots of ) solid state ram or a hard disc somewhere for storage.

How many people would miss an integrated DVD drive inside a laptop these days? What percentage of people use their DVD drive on a regular basis ( measured in days )? Personally, I don't see an external CD player as a big issue.

I agree that the MBP line could use a bit of refreshment, outside of the standard processor bump, and it would be lunacy to not re-vamp the Mac Pro line. That said, I'd expect to see those most likely being announced in February or at the very least at the end of January, given the traditional consumer orientation of MacWorld. Centre stage on the 15th is going to be the iPhone (probably with a 3G [4G?] model being announced along with rev. 1.1.3) and the new thin portable. I only say this to alleviate any disappointment when the pro line is not mentioned. :p

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
It's gonna be slow. Every true ultraportable (11.1" or smaller) has an ultralow voltage chip in them.

For example, this notebook by Sony is $3,599 AUD, and it has a 1.2GHz chip.

If you're looking for power, get a MacBook.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
what about the processor of this thing? is it gonna be underpowered?

It's Apple... of course !!

New laptop, or plasma TV? Decisions, decisions.

You mean LCD or Laser right ?

If ditching the Optical Drive could make my laptop smaller and lighter and possibly make more room for heat sinks then I am all for it.

Heat sinks, haha... this is Apple not Dell. In the quest for the thinnest laptops, heat sinks were discarded long ago :p

I just bought a brand new 2.2ghz SR Macbook last week. Just waiting for it to deliver right now.

Is it likely Apple would refresh the regular Macbook line so soon? :confused:

Otherwise I'd be feeling severe buyers remorse, having last year's Macbook model. :(

You should never feel bad over your purchase, if you'd bought a MB the day it was released, it'd still be replaced 6 months later. However you bought it because it works for you... so it'll still work for you, it just wont be the new product.

Besides, Rev. A always has bugs, you don't want that.

Damn it, I just got a Macbook 4 days ago -_-

I thought it would be a MBP only update :(

It'll likely be a new product, not really bridging the gap, but taking aspects of both existing lines and leaving them the same.

How many people would miss an integrated DVD drive inside a laptop these days? What percentage of people use their DVD drive on a regular basis ( measured in days )? Personally, I don't see an external CD player as a big issue.

Not me, I rarely use my optical drive, usually just downloading my music (legally) and software. There are occasions where I rip a CD or install some CD-bound software, but those occasions are few and far between now, so using that space (I know not likely) for battery or storage or cooling would be much better.

A Bluetooth optical drive with a on/off switch and a Li-ion poly battery would be amazing.

Would that have enough bandwidth for DVD movies and such ? What about when they include Blu-ray, would it have the bandwidth then ?

I think that the the sub-notebook (Macbook Mini) Should have an open bay on the bottom so that different accessories can be inserted in and taken out when needed, such as:

An optical drive can be put in when needed

Another hard drive for maybe TimeMachine

A second battery for the long trips

or anything else a person wants.

It wouldn't really be a sub-notebook then would it, as it'd be exactly the same size with a huge hole in it screwing up the balance most of the time.

I just broke my old dell laptop...so I want to finally get my macbook, but I know in 2 weeks Apple is coming out with something big...I CAN'T WAIT!!! I can't wait for the new laptop!

Prepare to be disappointed then.

2) current macbooks have a multitouch trackpad. At least it is capable of sensing two touches. Wouldn't it be a 10.5 feature rather than a hardware feature to have multitouch a and if so why cant all macbooks get this feature as a leopard update? If a new hardware multitouch pad is coming out wouldn't we know about it because of some hidden code in leopard right now?

Well 10.5.2 hasn't been released yet, quite possible they kept the code out of everything else for a change.

The reason current trackpads can't have an update, because it's Apple, and they sell new hardware, not upgrade the features of old hardware.

Anyone recall the recent patent for collapsing usb and firewire ports? This thing could be really, really thin...

I'll definitely be waiting out revision A then ;)

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Guys, it's not going to have an external optical drive.. Reason being is as follows.. Apple hates attached accessories, etc. Just think about the iMac with a wireless mouse and keyboard.. You have nothing except power.. They even criticize others for doing stuff like that.. Second, don't you remember that weird patent which showed a optical drive on the bottom of the notebook? Of course the picture was stupid, but patent pics usually are.. I think they are going to do something innovative with the optical drive no one has ever done before.. Having said that.. I wouldn't mind if the drive was external since you don't use it much anyway..

FCA

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2007
this is so exciting!!! this seems so accurate/cool to me! here's hoping and praying for all the notebook line to be updated!!!
peace

-FCA

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
Presumably there will be a top line model that has 100gb of RAM 'hard drive', or whatever it is they are calling it now.

With no optical and no hard drive it should have 6 hours battery life - maybe more.
Plus its going to be light and maybe have a 12" screen.

Its going to be $3k - aaaargh! I HAVE to have one.

BUT - if they bring out a 16 gb iPhone - what am I going to do?

Probably the iPhone - wait until Rev. 2 for the laptop.

January 15th 2008 - another exciting Apple day!

mhouse

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2003
North Carolina
1)

Maybe Arn or someone else could provide some clarification on that. What is meant by "multitouch" trackpad in terms of functionality?

Since Mac portables have had multitouch for a while now, we must be talking about some new functionality or utilization and I have never been able to get a clear picture of what it means.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
People won't whine about the external drive. People will whine because it will just be a combo drive and it will be 2008.

That's the truth right there brother. :D

Seriously though I use my optical drive WAY too much to even consider leaving it off. If Apple does take the drive out of this ultra portable then the book had better do something wonderful to make it better than the VAIOs that already have what everyone wants and still manages to keep a full working DL DVD burner on board. It would have been a nice machine to go with my 17" MBP with multi-touch trackpad and dual HDD and 512MB GFX card.

That and the new Mac Pro had better be the other topics this coming
Mac World. I am tired of seeing new kiddy toys being introduced by Apple. Time for the heavy duty professional stuff that can actually make my job easier and my bag a little lighter.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Guys, it's not going to have an external optical drive.. Reason being is as follows.. Apple hates attached accessories, etc. Just think about the iMac with a wireless mouse and keyboard.. You have nothing except power.. They even criticize others for doing stuff like that.. Second, don't you remember that weird patent which showed a optical drive on the bottom of the notebook? Of course the picture was stupid, but patent pics usually are.. I think they are going to do something innovative with the optical drive no one has ever done before.. Having said that.. I wouldn't mind if the drive was external since you don't use it much anyway..

Removing the optical drive completely is one of the steps to making a completely thin sub-notebook, and Apple is known for trying to set standards when it comes to computer thickness. Apple patents tons of technologies that never get used or possibly don't get used for a while, so the patent itself means little. Not to mention that the little flap thingy looks pretty lame for an Apple design.

Other than that, I trust MacRumors' sources more than guessing. Obviously they don't just post every little tip that's sent in or this site wouldn't be what it is right now.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
My guess is it won't include the external drive, but you'll be able to buy it for $150 as an optional accessory. They'll rip you off with it just like they rip off people who want the modem attachment.

This detachable external drive would allow customers to read/write from CDs or DVDs as usual, but would allow users to leave this extra bulk at home when on the road.

You left your optical drive at home and now you need to install a program?

Robot&Will-4WEB.jpg

DANGER, Will Robinson. DANGER!

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
This could be the time to replace my iBook (It has served me well for over 4 years now).
I´m all for an external optical drive as long as it´s portable enough to bring along of needed.

As another poster said, I´m inclined to belive they won´t release a notebook with an external though. It´s not very Apple like.
Then again, they could have made something clever as they tend to do.

Looking forward to Mac World 08

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
My guess is it won't include the external drive, but you'll be able to buy it for $150 as an optional accessory. They'll rip you off with it just like they rip off people who want the modem attachment.

It will be included as part of the package.It has to be if one expects to re-install Leopard or boot from the DVD for restore and diagnostics purposes.

Of course Leopard could come on a 5GB flash drive.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Notice how quietly the Macbooks got updated...Apple didn't even grant the notable santa rosa chipset change a public announcement. While the update didn't dramatically change performance, I think the way Apple treated this update has something to do with the new laptops.

Doubt it. Apple did the same thing when they updated the MBP in June and the MB in May.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.