Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeandginny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Does anyone know if there is a way for iTunes/iPod to play the next podcast after completing a podcast? I subscribe to a daily radio show that gets delivered in four one-hour podcasts. At the end of each one, I have to select and play the next. Certainly not a big deal, but would be nice to play the next episode automatically. Thanks.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Does anyone know if there is a way for iTunes/iPod to play the next podcast after completing a podcast? I subscribe to a daily radio show that gets delivered in four one-hour podcasts. At the end of each one, I have to select and play the next. Certainly not a big deal, but would be nice to play the next episode automatically. Thanks.

There have been a couple threads going on about this.

If you turn off shuffle on the iPod, it will go on to the next in the list.

Unfortunately, it looks like the iPod defaults to playing podcasts in reverse order, namely newest to oldest. Anyone have a solution for getting them to play in the correct order?

joeandginny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
podcasts

Thanks Milo... l have looked for treads on this topic, but were unable to find any. Do you happen to know where to look?

Regarding shuffle, the option is not available (grayed out) for podcasts. It is available in music library, but not in the podcast library. Is there a setting that I'm missing?

Thanks again for your help.

talz13

macrumors member
May 22, 2005
Yeah, I think it was mentioned in the linked thread, but I just made a smart playlist (new smart playlist > set to podcast), then sorted the playlist by ascending date (i.e. oldest episodes at the top of the list, newest ones at the bottom). I synced the ipod, then just went to playlists and started my playlist. It's currently playing through the 4th track this morning, and looks like it's working fine!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Yeah, I think it was mentioned in the linked thread, but I just made a smart playlist (new smart playlist > set to podcast), then sorted the playlist by ascending date (i.e. oldest episodes at the top of the list, newest ones at the bottom). I synced the ipod, then just went to playlists and started my playlist. It's currently playing through the 4th track this morning, and looks like it's working fine!

That will do it, but it's a ton of work if you have many podcasts and you want to listen to each of them in chronological order.

Is there really no simple way to automatically play podcasts in order? It seems like such a basic thing, it boggles my mind that apple would only allow reverse order.

macguymike

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2003
California
This thread answered a question I had (how to make podcasts play through instead of stopping), and then brought up a new one!

I'd be interested in an answer to the chronological order question!

For now at least I'm happy that I can listen to SciAm's "60 second psych" and "60 second science" podcasts without having to navigate the menu once a minute! :D

elhannon

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
[doublepost=1506970842][/doublepost]I'm having the same problem. It started when I last updated the ipod 6 (to 11.0.1). I use the podcast app to listen. Up til the update, it would play continuously (e.g. if I'm playing multiple "Fresh Air" podcasts, it would automatically start the next podcast (next higher date) after completing the current one). It now stops and I have to find and start the next one manually. What a pain!!. I can find no evidence of a shuffle button on itunes or the ipod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.