Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenett

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
This may seem like a stupid question for those of you who have an iphone.

I have one ipod. Surely itunes will let you sync an iphone in addition to an ipod, right? Itunes downloads are playable on up to 5 computers - so I am assuming also up to 5 ipods/iphones?

Does itunes create a different profile for each device? The itunes library has a check box next to each song indicating that you want to sync it to your ipod. If you have more than one device, how does this work?

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
You are good to go.

I currently have my iPhone and 2 iPods sync through iTunes on the same computer with no issues. However, I have set my options to sync manually on all 3 devices so that I can control what does/does not transfer.

Hope that helps, Good Luck

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
You are good to go.

I currently have my iPhone and 2 iPods sync through iTunes on the same computer with no issues. However, I have set my options to sync manually on all 3 devices so that I can control what does/does not transfer.

Hope that helps, Good Luck

There is no manual sync option for the iPhone? I was trying to figure that out the other day. All I could do was tell it to only sync checked music.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
There is no manual sync option for the iPhone? I was trying to figure that out the other day. All I could do was tell it to only sync checked music.

To set up for manual sync:

1) Open iTunes
2) In upper left corner, click "Edit"
3) In drop down select "Preferences"
4) Select the tab labeled "Syncing"
5) In the middle of the page, click on the box "Disable automatic syncing for all iPhones and iPods
6) With your iPhone/iPod plugged in, select the device in the left column
7) In the "Summary" tab select the box "Sync only checked songs and video"
8) Go into each subsequent tab for all devices and set what you want to sync when you click the sync button in the bottom right corner of iTunes

Hope this helps, Good Luck

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
so I am assuming also up to 5 ipods/iphones?

I don't think there's any limits on how many iPods you can use with one computer. The iPod only syncs with one computer at a time, so there's no need to restrict the music...they know that iPod will be coming home to that same computer eventually.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin

1) Open iTunes
5) In the middle of the page, click on the box "Disable automatic syncing for all iPhones and iPods
8) Go into each subsequent tab for all devices and set what you want to sync when you click the sync button in the bottom right corner of iTunes

Yes but that syncs the checked songs and videos to each device. As with right now there is a checkbox for my iPod "Manually Manage ... (whatever)".. so I can drag the music I want to the iPod rather than rely on checking/unchecking music.

This "Manually Manage" box is not available for the iPhone.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Yes but that syncs the checked songs and videos to each device. As with right now there is a checkbox for my iPod "Manually Manage ... (whatever)".. so I can drag the music I want to the iPod rather than rely on checking/unchecking music.

This "Manually Manage" box is not available for the iPhone.

This is because the iPhone does not support drag and drop. Thus the way that it is handled is through building playlists and syncing those playlists to your iPhone only throught the set up that I described. This is the only way, currently, that you will be able to do what you want if you are using more then one device.

Hope this helps...Good Luck

Puck.

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2007
Right now (i'm sure the exact name) but I have it setup to sync when I plug my iPod in, though I select which playlists I do and do not want. I would like to have one folder with iPhone playlists (which i've already built as i'm buying the iPhone soon) and the other folders for my iPod. Is iTunes able to see which device is plugged in and remember which setting you want for each device? This seems like it should be a pretty basic feature, as I want a lot more carried on my 60 gb iPod than my smaller iPhone. It'd be pretty annoying to have to change the checkboxes depending on the device each time >:|

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I have several playlists based on rating and playcount. I have most of the syncing with my iPod 30g and only about 2 or 3 of them with the iPhone and than I have a shuffle that is manual and have no problems there either. All of the settings stay for each of them. Even when I turn off sync to plug my iPod in at work. I come home and choose sync music and it remembers which playlists I had checked before. its actually a pretty good system.

As an example I have these playlists
Top 100
Rock Top 100
Hip Hop/rap Top 100
Punk Top 100
Buckethead Top 100
Most recently added
all of these are based on play count. i have a few more but you get the gyst.

I sync them all to the 30gb iPod. I also have a few special playlists for my car as the Clarion controller is a bit picky about playlist names. But even those are just smart playlists that link to existing Top 100 lists.

But for the iPhone I only sync the Top 100.

I also have them both set to sync the most recent 3 unplayed podcasts. And I have a few movies that I have synced with the iPhone. Even with them both plugged in and syncing at the same time I dont have problems at all.

Puck.

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2007
Ok, cool, thanks for the info. I'm quite the playlist and query whore, i've got hundreds of playlists but have whiddled down for the iPhone. I've got lots of lists that just check that songs are on lists that they should be if they're ranked and genred, lists based on when last listened to, and lists based on other lists. It's quite the system, guess my database classes in undergrad served me well =)

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
same here. I like being able to have seperate playlists and than have playlists that cover multiple playlists. The only thing I dont like is when I go into edit a smart playlist with multiple requirements it always changes from Or to And. I can change it to OR and than save and its fine. But if I go back in, it changes it to And again. Quite frustrating at times.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I am currently running two iPods off of my iTunes library, so you should not have a problem. Hope this helps.:)

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
This may seem like a stupid question for those of you who have an iphone.

I have one ipod. Surely itunes will let you sync an iphone in addition to an ipod, right? Itunes downloads are playable on up to 5 computers - so I am assuming also up to 5 ipods/iphones?

Does itunes create a different profile for each device? The itunes library has a check box next to each song indicating that you want to sync it to your ipod. If you have more than one device, how does this work?

well if you have more than one device it will work fine. however the check boxes stay the same for all devices. but say you want some songs on the iphone and all on the ipod. just make a playlist for the iphone. as for number off syncs, i believe you can sync the purchased music onto an infinite number of iphones/ipods.

elchriso

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
iTunes and multiple devices

Howdy,

I've got a few things synced up with 1 iTunes account.

1 x iPad
1 x iPod (60gb)
1 x Nano (8gb)
3 x iPhone, (Mum's, Dad's and Mine)

All work fine and sync automatically. The apps I've purchased can be copied across all of the devices. eg. I bought Tom-Tom and I've got it on 3 x iPhones and my iPad.

Not sure about a limit, but all this works for me and I hope this helps a bit.

Chriso
:)

BQHsMom

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
Syncing more than one Device ....

1) Open iTunes

My question is, I am trying to sync my son's iPod Shuffle. I've done this several times before but since updating my iTunes, it now says "this device is already synced with another iTunes" but it's never been plugged into any other computer but mine. I tried to follow your instructions above but there was no "Syncing" tab or option on any tab. Now what? Do I have to wipe it completely so I can sync it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.