Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carbonic15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
hi, i wanna ask, can i use ipod charger to charge iphone, i have an ipod charger that came with my 1G ipod mini, thanks..

Barry Scott

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2007
I think as long as the connecter fits then it will charge your iPhone. I used someones cable yesterday to charge mine. It must have been for an old iPod model as it had a button on each side to press in as you attach the connecter.

Golf Tango

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2007
Chester, UK
yes an ipod charger will work, in fact i am doing it now as my iphone charger is in a missing suitcase somewhere between Dubai and Manchester :mad:. In the future i am keeping my charger in my hand luggage.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I've been using my iPods charger to charge my iPhone since last summer and have not had any problems. I do this so I can have a charger in two rooms without having to unplug it all the time.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
it can be done, but it will kill your battery quicker. the iPod and iPhone use different amerages. Its best to not do this if you can avoid it.

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
it can be done, but it will kill your battery quicker. the iPod and iPhone use different amerages. Its best to not do this if you can avoid it.

uhh what?

the ipod and the iphone wall chargers are identical.

now firewire chargers, that's another story

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
surely the output will be designed to be the same voltage as a USB port? And if the current is higher it is more likely to damage the charger than the iPhone battery?

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007

No, this is wrong, the only difference between the two is how they "lock" into the slot, the old iPod one used squeeze buttons, the touch/ iPhone releases itself. They both will work with all iPods that use this connector.

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
No, this is wrong, the only difference between the two is how they "lock" into the slot, the old iPod one used squeeze buttons, the touch/ iPhone releases itself. They both will work with all iPods that use this connector.

even that is identical on the new chargers :)

pasteone

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
Yes you can as long as...

As long as the charger says 5v-1a, ie 5 volts 1 amp then yes they are interchangeable. This is the voltage for 4g color and newer ipods along with iphones and touch. The older ones were 10v. Don't use firewire on usb either and you are safe. Hope that helps.

bruzer

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
That's odd, had a different experience trying to use my iPod charger with my I phone. I have a 4.5 gen Ipod. When I tried to hook the charger up to my iPhone, my phone actually said on the screen something to the effect of 'charger not compatible with iphone'

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
seems to be some confusion here. is it ok to use an old usb classic ipod charger for an iphone 4?

arnop

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Paris, France
i've been using an iPod charger for my iPhone 3G & iPhone 4 for years @ work and never saw any differences between home & work to be honest

easto666

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Leeds, UK
Its a strange one that, as i though they would all be cross compatible and work, i went to stay at my friends for the weekend and didn't bring my charger because i knew he had an ipod (its the first ipod mini) but i was unable to charge my phone from this through the mains, but plugged into the USB on his PC it worked fine (using the same lead). He can charge his through the USB and mains.

kiddig

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
I tryed with my firewire ipod charger and it did not work... but when i charge with usb it works 100%

Brandon940

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Is it okay to charge my iphone with an ipod touch charger? Ive been using it for a week or so (wich is how long ive had the phone) i got the phone from a friend he didnt have the charger so ive been using my ipods charger was just wondering if its messing up my battery? Is it bad to do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.