Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grunze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Hey folks,

So here is what I want to accomplish.. any suggestions?
I have a 24" iMac at my computer desk. I have a 40" sony bravia in my living room. They are about 30 feet apart. How can I use my TV as a display for my iMac without having to move my iMac. I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of wireless way to transmit screen data to my tv from my computer.. is there some way to do with withe something like a sling box or so...

(and I have a wireless keyboard and nouse, so that'll help a bit)

THANKS!!!!!

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
You'll need a few things. First you'll need a wireless VGA or DVI adapter, and then a mini-DVI to VGA or DVI adapter to actually connect it to your iMac (depending on what kind of wireless adapter you purchase). Theoretically you should get two parts to the wireless adapter, one that plugs into you iMac and one that plugs into your television.

I haven't tried this because there's so too much room for issue.

You could also plug another computer into the TV and use VNC to display the screen, but it wouldn't be terribly great quality and probably have a lag.

Tankgunk

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2007
Just so you know, I'm going to assume you're crazy like I am and won't settle for anything but the best video quality possible.

If I'm correct, you're TV only has a VGA input and not a DVI, so you will need a mini-dvi to VGA adapter, and then you'll need to find some kind of wireless VGA transmitter. A quick google search seems to indicate you'll spend enough money on this that you'd be far better off buying a Mac Mini or an Apple TV for your digital media viewing needs (assuming you're looking for VGA quality).
If you're determined to connect your iMac to your television, I'd run a VGA cord in the walls/attic/crawlspace, complete with VGA wall plates on both ends. But you'd have to be an electrician, bribe an electrician you know, or pay someone to do this. And depending on the layout of your house, this might be a hard thing to do.

If you want a DIY solution, find a really long VGA cord.

Another note, you might need some kind of VGA signal extender to go this far, but that shouldn't cost you more than $50.

Grunze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions... I've discovered the SlingCatcher which i think will do that trick.. the only catch, is that it doesn't yet exist..

Ideally what I'd want is a super long DVI-HDMI cable but I know that would cost too much... I think I'll just have to wait for a wireless solution to come on the market...

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
(Since you noted you want the best quality & wireless)

For 1080p HDMI wireless video/audio $239.00

http://www.markertek.com/Video-Equi...ms/Unique-Product-Solutions/ASUS-WICAST.xhtml

Video - Up to 1080p 60HZ, under 1 ms latency
Audio - Up to 8 channels
Wireless HDMI Technology - WHDI
Transmission Distance - Up to 33 feet
Operation Frequency - 5.15~5.85GHz
Data Rate - 3G bps

You will need to get a tiny DVI to HDMI adaptor for the Mac Book Pro, very inexpensive and found in Best Buys or online.

Personally, I'd run the HDMI->DVI cable as suggested earlier and hardwire it, best overall performance compared to any wireless solution if quality is the #1 concern.

-jim

reedyfj

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
just go with these if you're going to hard wire

haha.. thanks. But I think for that price I'd rather wait for some hardware to do the trick for me....

giant 15' hdmi to dvi that i've used every day for 2 years
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2505&seq=1&format=2

15 ft extension
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024010&p_id=3344&seq=1&format=2

don't over pay for cables...it's a really easy way to waste a lot of money

OS 11

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
http://www.intel.com/consumer/products/technology/wirelessdisplay.htm

looks like it's compatible here for all of the i series processors, only listed as pc so far

Apple announced new Macbook Pro's today, but didnt provide any information about a number of valuable and important technologies like Wireless Display (Intel WiDi) thats built into the new Sandy Bridge processors.

The 15 inch Macbook Pro features a 2.0 GHz i7-2630QM, 2.2 GHz i7-2720QM, or 2.3 GHz i7-2820QM Quad Core Processor.

The following technologies are offered on the 2.2 GHz and 2.3 GHz processors but not on the 2.0 GHz processor:

Intel® Quick Sync Video
Intel® Wireless Display
Intel® InTRU™ 3D Technology
Intel® Anti-Theft Technology
Intel® My WiFi Technology
4G WiMAX Wireless Technology.

Can anyone with a new 2011 Macbook Pro provide a source, video, screen-shot, or data from Apple that shows Apple's support of WiDi and the other above mentioned technologies?

Id sure like to be able to have 1080P video & 8 channel audio stream wirelessly from a new Macbook Pro to my TV and sound system.

Thanks you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.