Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cartoonfox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
London
Hey, I'm a little drunk so I'm gonna keep it short!

I've just bought an external 22" monitor that has a dvi connection.
I want to connect my Macbook to the monitor. I bought a mini-dvi to dvi cable from apple (the only place I could find it) but it is way too short to actually reach my monitor.
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/M9321_screen.jpg
So, I need a second cable to connect the mini-dvi to dvi cable to my monitor. I'm guessing I need a dvi-female to dvi-male cable, but I'm not sure.
Also, if anyone from the UK knows of a website I could buy the cable from I'd be very grateful, I can't find anywhere that sells the right cable.

(btw, I didn't buy the monitor and cable while drunk, I just remembered to ask here now!)

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Didn't the monitor come supplied with a cable? The bit of Apple kit you've bought is an adapter, designed to allow you to attach a DVI cable to your MacBook's mini-DVI port – it's not supposed to be used as a cable in its own right.

I should think you'd be able to pick up a DVI cable from most computer retailers or on the web from a site like this.

I wouldn't go ordering anything until you've sobered up, mind. ;)

cartoonfox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
London
Hmm, well my monitor hasn't actually arrived yet. It comes on Friday. I just wanted to get everything ready so I can start painting straight away. It's a Samsung, do most monitors come with a cable?

I guess I'll have to wait until the monitor arrives then. Hehe I won't be buying anything with my credit card tonight!!

Cheers : ]

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Hmm, well my monitor hasn't actually arrived yet. It comes on Friday. I just wanted to get everything ready so I can start painting straight away. It's a Samsung, do most monitors come with a cable?
I won't guarantee anything but I would be highly surprised – nay, shocked – if it didn't come with the required cables ready for you to use it. Just pop your little adapter on the end of the cable, pop it into the mini-DVI port on your MacBook and you'll be sorted.

I've not used the DVI adapter on my MacBook, but I've got the VGA version to hook it up to my external display and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

cartoonfox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
London
Cool thanks. Let's hope my monitor does come with the cable. We'll see tomorrow I guess...

Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.