Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Is there ANY sign of Delicious Library 2 (or whatever the hell it is going to be called) at MacWorld 2008? Any news or even a remote GUESS as to what decade this program might be released?

Does anyone but me even care anymore?

Mark

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
I believe I read this past week that Delicious and company are skipping Macworld this year for the express purpose of spending time on Library. No news on release dates, but I think they are anxious to get it done.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
Shipley blogs about his progress from time to time at The Delicious Blog so you can keep relatively up-to-date by reading it. They've also got an official support forum over on MacNN.

Current prognosis seems to be "certainly not before Apple releases OS X 10.5.2, and hopefully not long after."

They've missed a lot of self-set release deadlines already so they're being sort of cagey about it now.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Well, I guess I'm going to give up waiting and try the Pedias. I might find I like them better anyway.

Mark

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
Yeah, I've given up waiting for version 2. This is the disadvantage of buying software from small developers. OK if not mission critical but if you want regular updates you need to stick with a bigger company.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I bought version 1 recently, so I was hoping for a MacWorld announcement, too. If you buy version 1 now, the upgrade to 2 will be free (according to their website). I'm pretty happy with v1, but I'm looking forward to some of the features and improvements coming with v2.

If you're considering using the iSight as a barcode reader, Delicious is far better than Pedia. It's very close in performance to a stand-alone scanner. It'll pretty much keep up while you grab a DVD, orientated it in front of the camera (there are target lines in an overlay on the live video), and pick up the next. It'll queue them up while it looks up info [from Amazon], artwork, then speaks the title.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Delicious Library 2 can clearly be considered vaporware by now. Its release has been pending since 2006 if not earlier.

The only vaporware and/or beta that has ever won an Apple Design Award mind you. It also probably helps that Apple has hired away almost everyone that has worked on DL2 to work in the iPhone group. ;)

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
is Pedias kinda the same thing?

Some folks have reported (in various home theater type forums) that they actually like the Pedias better:

http://bruji.com/

Supposedly, Delicious Library 2 will be the cat's meow. But, at this point, I have SERIOUS doubts that we will see DL2 anytime this year.

Mark

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
The only vaporware and/or beta that has ever won an Apple Design Award mind you. It also probably helps that Apple has hired away almost everyone that has worked on DL2 to work in the iPhone group. ;)

There's something wrong with an award given to a pre-release. The best judges are the consumers.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
On a similar subject DL 1.6 came out but it refuses to mount after download. Has anyone been able to upgrade to DL 1.6?

My hope is that DL 2 is free to upgrade for users who have been waiting forever and increased usability. It is freakishly slow.

-LD

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
I wouldn't know. I stopped using DL when it was evident DL2 wasn't going to be released with Leopard.

Maybe it will be out with the next big cat. I kind of doubt it though.

filmgirl

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Seattle, WA
TUAW interviewed one of the developers at Macworld (they might not have had an official presence but at least some of the team was there) and the video will be posted sometime this week.

I agree though, the delays are getting ridiculous.

-LD

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
is Pedias kinda the same thing?
It is. I think it's much better. It has less eye candy (and I admit I like eye candy) but it's much more functional, which is what is most important to me. It's incredibly easy to customize and use, much more so than DL is, probably more than DL2 will be.

Also, I only want to catalog my DVDs. I can simply buy DVDPedia. It saves me money. You always have the option to buy any or all of the Pedias.

The funny thing is, when it was painfully obvious that DL2 wasn't going to be released, I looked into other options. I realized I never gave the Pedias a fair chance the first time. Having been forced by DM's lack of activity (lacking to the end user) I took my money elsewhere and am actually much happier with DVDPedia.

Unfortunately for Bruji, Delicious Monster is very good at hype and marketing. The suck at Apple's teat and incorporate every latest whizbang Apple feature. That's why they got the Apple Design award for a software that doesn't exist.

Maybe the Pedias don't make use of all of Apple's core features, but they don't have to. Just because something is there doesn't mean you have to use it or that it's the best solution to the problem.

KISS. DM could take a hint from that old saying.

-LD

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
TUAW interviewed one of the developers at Macworld (they might not have had an official presence but at least some of the team was there) and the video will be posted sometime this week.

I agree though, the delays are getting ridiculous.
Can't wait to see it, but I hope it's not a softball of a video. I hope they ask some hard questions and demand some answers.

bpnkrtn

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
San Marcos, Texas
Howdy. I was a Collectorz (Windows) user, then to Collectorz mac, then to Delicious Library, tried Intelliscanner, then on to the pedias. All have their strong suits and niches. I have a 2000+ collection of books, many, many fewer CDs and DVDs. I find that the pedias offer an excellent feature set for my uses (book oriented). The customer support is the best I have ever found with ANY software, in terms of response time and obvious concern for the customer. FWIW.

bruce

Retired
May 16, 2006
DL is an awesome piece of software, and it looks like v2 will likely be the first app to show off Core Animation, however late it comes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.