Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menthol moose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
I have my Gmail account set up for IMAP, and use it in Mail. However, as of this morning, Mail can't connect to either the IMAP server or the SMTP server. Whenever I try to connect to the IMAP server, it gives me the following error:

"The server 'imap.gmail.com' refused to allow a connection on port 993."

I've checked repeatedly and all of my settings are as the Gmail website says they should be. Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?

sendericamessag

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
gmail issues

Dear all....

I've had my Mac Mail set up for gmail imap and it's been working fine until a couple days ago when I tried to send a pdf that was too large for gmail. Now, I can't get Mac Mail to connect to gmail at all.

As a result I have to go to gmail and log on to their web based system and use that (which I hate).

I deleted the account and added it again, but no dice. Spent an hour in the Mac store today. No dice.

So frustrating.....there's no way to contact gmail for support. Can anyone help?

blloyd

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
Same here

As of 29/5/10 My 3 Imap accounts have suddenly stopped working from Apple Mail App. I have deleted, set up again and again without any luck. All settings online are correct. SSL is on.... just says “imap.gmail.com” refused to allow a connection on port 993. Pain in di arse!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I will struggle on using my browser for now.:mad:

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
Does the pop protocol work? Try disabling imap in your gmail settings and reenabling it.

Nope, no luck.

This is what my activity window (Cmd-0) says.

How about everyone else?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-02 at 20.26.26.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-02 at 20.26.26.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 173

pakster

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
I had the same problem when setting up my google apps account.

Even though i used the same settings i only got it working, with the automatic mail.app setup. So i deleted the account that didnt work, and use a
@gmail.com address. Mail found the google settings and everything worked. I then changed the login details.

No idea why that happend.

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
I had the same problem when setting up my google apps account.

Even though i used the same settings i only got it working, with the automatic mail.app setup. So i deleted the account that didnt work, and use a
@gmail.com address. Mail found the google settings and everything worked. I then changed the login details.

No idea why that happend.

Yeh the UK emails addresses have been changed around recently between gmail and googlemail.com.

Just delete the account and set it up again trying both those as your email address and username. One should work, if not then you have a different problem to me!

Same here in Hollandia =P

Yeh the UK emails addresses have been changed around recently between gmail and googlemail.com.

Just delete the account and set it up again trying both those as your email address and username. One should work, if not then you have a different problem to me!

Same here in holland >. <''

Mail (apple) is not getting any connection with gmail...
...for sending an email it cost half a day to get outta my computer =(

I got 3 gmail accounts, 1 is working, 2 aren't
(so.. this is making less the sense tom me x''D )

xEDITx 2 uotta 3 workin' for now, one worked out off the blue when I checked activity (as Davmeister said) it trough pressing the command+0 x/EDITx

Does someone knows why??

Nice day!
-Michel Merx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.