Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm not aware of any direct replacement, although VLC can generally give you the same information about a file through its get info window.

That said, I've found that if you have VLC around and install the DivX, Flip4Mac, and probably the Perian codec pack (and/or a flv codec), between QT player and VLC you can play essentially anything that's playable on the platform (which is to say almost anything other than protected WMV, the old Indeo codecs and maybe VP6 outside of a Flash file).

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I'm not aware of any direct replacement, although VLC can generally give you the same information about a file through its get info window.

That said, I've found that if you have VLC around and install the DivX, Flip4Mac, and probably the Perian codec pack (and/or a flv codec), between QT player and VLC you can play essentially anything that's playable on the platform (which is to say almost anything other than protected WMV, the old Indeo codecs and maybe VP6 outside of a Flash file).

I think that .rm will still give them pause.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.