Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
I have a question about this. When doing the expert mode, you have to work with the 2 sliders, one left and one right.

I understand the left one instructions, make the image brightness appear the same as the background. But the right slider says to move it to make the image neutral compared to the background.

What does "make it neutral" mean?

nout72

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
The Netherlands
I have a question about this. When doing the expert mode, you have to work with the 2 sliders, one left and one right.

I understand the left one instructions, make the image brightness appear the same as the background. But the right slider says to move it to make the image neutral compared to the background.

What does "make it neutral" mean?

The right slider alters the hue, so just try making the apple logo look nearly identical to the background.
When calibrating the screen sit at the same distance form the screen as you would usually do. Don't get too close.

just leave Expert mode off and choose 2.2 gamma and a D65 white point. look here and here for more info.

I would not recommend this.
You'll get much better results in the expert mode.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
just leave Expert mode off and choose 2.2 gamma and a D65 white point. look here and here for more info.

I did this and got good results.

The right slider alters the hue, so just try making the apple logo look nearly identical to the background.
When calibrating the screen sit at the same distance form the screen as you would usually do. Don't get too close.

So basically the left and right slider do the same thing? The left adjusts the brightness, but when I get the image brightness close the right slider seems to not need touching because the image is almost gone.

As far as buying anything to do this, no thanks.

deftdrummer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
San Diego
Also remember to make sure the display's been on for at least 30 minutes before you start.

shouldn't this only matter on plasma displays? Also, I completed the in advanced mode and everything looks slightly "bluer" and more "purplish." What gives with OS X changing your wallpaper when completed though?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.