Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zechmann

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2007
How do you read a pages file on windows? also, how do you print a pages file in windows... thanks!

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
This is a 2 year old thread, and I'm aware of this, but for those who might stumble upon this, it is actually possible to print and read .pages files in Windows, or on a OS X (if one does not have pages).

The internet was most helpful, and I discovered this page:http://blog.cleverly.com/permalinks/346.html.

Essentially, the .pages is the same as a zip file, so if one renames the file from "XX.pages" to "XX.zip" in Windows, then one will be able to see the contents of the file.

There will be 3 files generally: 1) QuickLook (which is a folder); 2) a .plist and 3) index.xml (or some xml file.

If you want to read or print the pages file (i do not know how to edit it) you can open the QuickLook folder and inside should be a file called Preview.pdf. This you can open in windows, and print/read.

I hope this helps people in future.

psuomega

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Still works

I registered for the forum just to give a thumbs up! It's great that on a old thread, there's still valuable and relevant information. Thanks for the tip. I recently received a Pages file from my grandmother. It was much easier to get the information I needed from the PDF file than walking her through saving it in a different format. :cool:

psuomega

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Even Easier

I stumbled across an even easier way to view the contents (but not edit) and print a .pages file. Simply email it to yourself on your GMail account. Google Docs is able to read .pages files! You can even print it directly from Google Docs. Hope this helps someone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.