Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Whoever said that Macs were fussy about memory has his head stuck in the PPC days.

Commodity Intel equipment is much less fussy about RAM tolerances, and Kingston VR is hardly rubbish.
Haha. Personally, I wouldn't argue with CanadaRAM about RAM. His job is to know exactly what is going on, and he has offered incredible advice for years here.

If he says Kingston Value RAM isn't good with Macs, I'd avoid it. If you go against this advice, it may still work for you, but you're taking a risk.

smogsy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2008
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=930 :)

Crucial 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-5300C5 200-Pin SODIMM Dual Channel Kit (CT2KIT12864AC667)

2x 1GB, 667MHz RAM Speed, CAS 5, 1.8v SODIMM, Unbuffered, Non-ECC, Lifetime Warranty with Crucial.
Crucial 10+ in stock £23.99

Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-5300C5 200-Pin SODIMM Dual Channel Kit (CT2KIT25664AC667)

2x 2GB, 667MHz RAM Speed, CAS 5, 1.8v SODIMM, Unbuffered, Non-ECC, Lifetime Warranty with Crucial.
Crucial 10+ in stock £74.99
(£88.11

i use them for everything i buy next day devilery only though (£5)

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I've just bought 4GB from Crucial for my macbook for £65. This is more or less as cheap as it's ever going to get.

It might go down to £45 (I don't care about £20 here or there) but it's more likely to start going up again for various reasons.

Am quite amazed, as my macbook will now have more RAM than all my previous computers and flash cards and USB key drives combined!

I ordered a single 2GB RAM module last night for only £26.31 from Crucial.

I've just checked again and its coming up at £52.63 for a 4GB MacBook kit on Crucial for me :confused:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

I've just checked again and its coming up at £52.63 for a 4GB MacBook kit on Crucial for me :confused:

*cough*

No, what he means is that their website uses "Dynamic Pricing", meaning they read the saved files (cookies or cache (I forget) to see where you normally shop), and base the prices on their website on whether you're rich or poor.

So yes.....be careful. Completely immoral company. However, their RAM is good.

I'd go for Kingston or Crucial/Micron.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..

What?? I just checked back now, and yes it's gone down to £52.63!

24 hours after I buy it!

When I saw your message, I did think it might be dynamic pricing coming back (I think crucial promised to stop doing it after all the bad publicity a couple of years ago - I remember that debate well) but it seems just bad timing on my part.

I'll send them an email trying to get them to refund the £11.20 difference, as it seems they haven't yet posted it to me. I'm not hopeful tho. Any idea what I could say to them?

gelatin

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2006
didnt know play sell RAM thats excellent.
are these cheap ones actually good quality tho?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I think ill be updating the thread with the results that I got when I visited Crucial...

Anywho thread is in the process of being updated!

To be honest Im happy that so many people have found it useful, sadly for me with no new macbook pro at macworld I have yet to have the machine to upgrade myself!

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 414

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I just wanted to thank you again for this thread, all the links, comments and everything has been wonderful. I eventually bought my RAM after seeing this thread and play.com offer for 2GB for £27.99. Think I've saved myself a lot as I didn't realise RAM had gone down in price like it has now. I remember seeing 1GB for £70 some time ago... eek :eek:

Am still waiting for my RAM to arrive and getting excited. Cheers for this thread! :D

P.S. Just out of interest. I run Photoshop CS3 and it's quick now as it is just on occasion, for example, when digiscrapping or clicking to add text I will get the spinning beachball for about 10-20 seconds and then it loads. I assume this is because of RAM yeah? I also get it on occasion when running Firefox too. Seems to be whn I login to GMail webmail. Always recovers though after about 5-15 seconds.

smogsy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2008
lisa i get your spinning thing to im on 4gb with 2gb free i think its more likely to be bug in leopard

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Yeh lets hope that 10.5.2 solves some of these pro app problems!

(I know logic is having some serious problems!)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I sent Crucial this email:

Hello Crucial,

You have just charged me £65.79 for a 4GB RAM kit for an Apple Macbook.

On your website the price is actually stated as £52.63.

Could you please refund me the £11.20 difference or cancel the order please?

I could be wrong, but it seems the package has not yet left your warehouse, as your email below that I received 90 minutes ago states it as being 'ready to ship'. I certainly have not received it yet.

Many thanks

RedTomato

On 23 Jan 2008, at 21:52, CRUCIALEUSUPPORT@MICRON.COM wrote:

Dear RedTomato,

Great news! Your Crucial memory order is packaged and ready to ship by
Royal Mail Packet Post 1st Class. To check on the status of your shipment, click on
the link below. You must reference your order number when checking on
the status of your shipment.

Order Number: xxxx

https://www.crucial.com/uk/login/login.asp

Your package will be sent to:

xxxxxxx

Purchase Order Number: xxxx

For step-by-step instructions on how to install your memory, see our
online installation guide at
http://www.crucial.com/uk/support/install.asp

Thank you for your business! If you have any questions about your order, please reply to this e-mail, or call us.

Crucial -- The Memory Experts (SM)
http://www.crucial.com/uk
0800 013 0330
+44 (0)1355 586100
crucialeusupport@micron.com

PR1-100

Let's see if I get a result.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Result!

So I came into work the day after I sent the email above, and the 4GB RAM has already arrived!

Time line: Tuesday afternoon - order RAM.

Wednesday evening - Get the above mail, and send off a response asking for money back, at about 11pm.

Thursday morning - RAM arrives.

Gadzooks, fast (free) delivery, don't think I'll get that discount. At least I'm happy with paying £65 for my RAM. Then I check my email:

Hello,

Thanks for your e-mail.

We have now setup a refund onto your card for £11.40. The ref number for this is xxxxx.

Kind Regards

David Hall
Sales and Support Agent
Tel: (800) 013-0330
Fax: (800) 013-0336
mailto:crucialeusupport@micron.com

Result! Put the RAM in just now, and it works perfectly well.

Have to say I'm very pleased with Crucial on this one. I noticed that both of us got the pennies wrong on the refund amount, but it doesn't matter. :cool:

Also noticed that the price has deffo gone up to about £58, seems I was lucky.

I'd recommend Crucial* as to me avoiding random crashes is worth far more than saving a few quid on cheap RAM. CanadaRAM who I respect also recommends them.

*only if they don't start doing evil dynamic pricing again.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Sounds like two thumbs up for crucial...

although not the cheapest they definitely sound like the best option and I've only heard good things about them!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
*only if they don't start doing evil dynamic pricing again.

They have been doing dynamic pricing for a long time, I saved myself about £10 before just by using a different computer.

I have ordered a second 2GB chip now that they have come down in price which I am expecting to arrive tomorrow.

They are very quick with delivery and I have been using one of their 2GB sticks for 2.5months now no problems at all.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
They have been doing dynamic pricing for a long time, I saved myself about £10 before just by using a different computer.

When was this? I just tried checking their price in Safari (which I almost never use) instead of my usual Firefox and it was the same. Has anyone else been able to get two different prices at the same time recently?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Maybe if you use a secure proxy like this one you may get a lower price?

Can anyone try this? I am at school and it is blocked?

Thanks

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
When was this? I just tried checking their price in Safari (which I almost never use) instead of my usual Firefox and it was the same. Has anyone else been able to get two different prices at the same time recently?

It was about 2.5 months ago. When I was actively looking for ram.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
It was about 2.5 months ago. When I was actively looking for ram.

That sucks. Not you xUKHCx! Sucks if crucial are still doing this.

To be honest, I thought they got sued for it. A quick Google search turns up nothing on crucial and dynamic pricing in recent months.

Also seems Crucial did loose their court case - see (PDF)

http://www.dramantitrustsettlement.com/dram/docs/NOTICE 08-22-06.pdf

Maybe they just put the price down in between you checking computers. Seems like a different price every day recently. Did you check back on the original computer, and it was back to the original price?

Maybe if you use a secure proxy like this one you may get a lower price?
Can anyone try this? I am at school and it is blocked?
Thanks

Just tried it. (very slow) Same price as above. And I went straight to the PC ddr-2 section. Didn't go through the mac chooser in case they were charging us mac tossers more.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Well i think that they are just fluctuating ram prices to try and trick consumers...

I think their dynamic pricing is a thing of the past...

But stop with the negatives, for most people crucial have been notihng but positive!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.