Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgafxxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
I have a 8gig unlocked on the tmobile network. When I plug it in my Itunes won't detect it in the device list.

Also I am on the Windows XP platform. I know this is a Mac forum, but Im looking for help with my iphone.

It shows up on my computer as a digital camera device, but I cant get itunes to recognize it so I can put some music on it.

Someone please help.

Im using Itunes 7.4.3

jwpaco

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
IPhone not Seen in iTunes Fix - XP Version

Disconnect iPhone and close iTunes.

Go to Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools.

Under Administrative Tools, Go to Services and look for 2 services.

Apple Mobile Device
iPod service

Both services should be started If they are not, start both of them.

Start iTunes and wait for it to finish loading.

Reconnect iPhone. Voila! It should see your iPhone.

I will PM you my PayPal info.

Justin

weerdoe

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2005
Hong Kong
Detecting as camera, not showing up on iTunes

hello all,
im from hong kong and my turbo sim-ed iphone has the same problem as dgafxxx.

my XP PC detects the iPhone as a digital camera but my 7.5.0.20 iTunes is not detecting my iPhone. (As I'm currently using 1.1.2 firmware, i was advised to stick with 7.5)

I have tried other iphones and it experienced the same problem.
I have also tried jwpaco's suggestion of fooling with the administrative tools but that didn't have any effect. I have reinstalled iTunes a few times and its still experiencing the same problem.

Please advice as a bringing an ipod and an iphone out kinda defeats the purpose haha.

Cheers,
weerdoe

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
I see this a lot of the time on pc's when either iTunes or the component's software is not current.

If the phone functions on a mac, or another pc. blow away your iTunes, make sure it's entirely taken off the machine, and download a fresh install of 7.6 from apple.com/itunes

if it doesn't work on another pc, but on a mac it will, then it is usually a limitation due to the software on the phone (which you can't update for obvious reasons) so you're only solutions are: get a mac, or pay at&t.

if it doesn't work on a mac or a pc, you're probably out of luck since you have no warranty.

NOTE: install iTunes 7.6 AND all windows updates

weerdoe

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2005
Hong Kong
Dear jeffmc,
Thanks for the swift reply. My iPhone does work on another pc running the same version of iTunes. (7.5.0.20)

I would gladly install 7.6, however, as my phone is 'turbo-simmed', i was advised to stick with 7.5 or would be in the danger of bricking my iPhone.

Do you think that it is safe to use 7.6 with my 1.1.2 iPhone?

And if it worked on another PC with the same version of iTunes, why wouldn't it work on mine?

Cheers,
Weerdoe

ExitRightHere

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
Itunes won't detect IPhone

I had a similar problem when updating to 1.1.3. The solution I found was to close out of Itunes, hook up the IPhone, then open ITunes. It should detect your IPhone now, but I have a locked IPhone so it may not work in the same way. Anyway, hope this gets you closer to fixing your problem.

E.R.H.

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Dear jeffmc,
Thanks for the swift reply. My iPhone does work on another pc running the same version of iTunes. (7.5.0.20)

I would gladly install 7.6, however, as my phone is 'turbo-simmed', i was advised to stick with 7.5 or would be in the danger of bricking my iPhone.

Do you think that it is safe to use 7.6 with my 1.1.2 iPhone?

And if it worked on another PC with the same version of iTunes, why wouldn't it work on mine?

Cheers,
Weerdoe

As far as i know you should be fine, however, i don't know much about hardware unlocks, just software.

The only way your phone should be bricked is by a restore or a software upgrade. If you are simply trying to add/remove/modify content on the phone, you should be perfectly fine. Someone please correct me if i am wrong, I am 100% sure on this regarding software, but again... turboSIM isn't my area.

As for it not working it could be a million different things, if you are afraid to go to 7.6 redownload a new copy of your current version and re-install. I've seen files get moved, go missing, become corrupt, ect..

weerdoe

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2005
Hong Kong
As far as i know you should be fine, however, i don't know much about hardware unlocks, just software.

The only way your phone should be bricked is by a restore or a software upgrade. If you are simply trying to add/remove/modify content on the phone, you should be perfectly fine. Someone please correct me if i am wrong, I am 100% sure on this regarding software, but again... turboSIM isn't my area.

As for it not working it could be a million different things, if you are afraid to go to 7.6 redownload a new copy of your current version and re-install. I've seen files get moved, go missing, become corrupt, ect..

Dear Jeffmc,

I'm still not comfortable with installing 7.6 until I can be 100% sure that a turbo-simmed iPhone will have no problem connecting to it.

I have tried reinstalling 7.5 however i dont think i made a clean uninstallation/reinstallation coz after reinstalled i still had my playlists and such. Does that mean my iTunes was not cleanly reinstalled?
If so please advice on how to reinstall itunes properly.

[And just out of curiosity, is it possible for a turbo-simmed iphone somehow reverse the unlock and change to a software unlock such as anysim?(im just curious and if its too much of a hastle just ignore this question]

Thanks,
weerdoe

christinas

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
Itunes won't detect my iphone

Hi. I tried all of the above fixes. I have 2 iphones. One locked, one unlocked. My apple computer detects both of them and I can download songs from itunes, etc. However, when I try to plug either iphone into my windows xp computer, neither of them are detected in itunes. However, the camera software detects the iphones and the iphones will charge when plugged into the computer. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have searched extensively on the web and have tried all of the fixes i have found such as reinstall itunes, etc....

Thanks,

Christina

dsgalit

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
Hi. I tried all of the above fixes. I have 2 iphones. One locked, one unlocked. My apple computer detects both of them and I can download songs from itunes, etc. However, when I try to plug either iphone into my windows xp computer, neither of them are detected in itunes. However, the camera software detects the iphones and the iphones will charge when plugged into the computer. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have searched extensively on the web and have tried all of the fixes i have found such as reinstall itunes, etc....

Thanks,

Christina
Do you have windows xp service pack 2 installed? if not try downloading the file, installing it, reboot your computer,then try syning with itunes again and see if it finds your phone...

AtrocityExhibit

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
NJ

Apple Mobile Device
iPod service

Justin

My iTunes will not detect my iPhone since updating to 7.6, I tried this solution but it didn't work :(

RickDeckard

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007
dgafxxx and weerdoe, are you sure that you have USB 2.0 on the PC's you are trying? The iPhone will only work on a computer that has USB 2.0, as far as I'm aware.

I have to pick up a USB 2.0 card for my G4 before I can activate my iPhone. The USB 1.0 ports will charge it but it doesn't show up in iTunes at all.

*Note, obviously this isn't the issue if you've had the previously had the iPhone working and it just stopped connecting.

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007

Thanks,

Christina

if you originally set up both phones on a mac then any mac will have no problem reading them

windows xp cannot see them due to the file system

restore them on the pc then both macs and pc's will be able to use the phone

Shap

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008

Apple Mobile Device
iPod service

Justin

Was just having this problem and your solution fixed it. thanks

randybf2

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
Itunes on iMac not finding iPhone 3G

My mac crashed recently and had to reinstall all software and updated including iTunes 8.0.1. Since this my iPhone is no longer detected in iTunes.

iPhoto seems to have no problem with finding iPhone and still imports images fine. And the iPhone is charging fine through the USB port on the iMac. Though it is iTunes that i has the problem with detecting the device.

I have preformed both reinstall of iTunes and a restore on iPhone. This has not worked.

Does anyone have some advice/solutions.

BF

kajo0301

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
Help

Hey everyone, i'm brand new here. This is whats up.

The other night my phone started displaying the "this accessory is not made to work with iPhone...." Even though there is NOTHING plugged into it. I can 'lock' my phone and without touching anything the "slide to unlock" screen comes up and sometimes with that message, then the screen will go black again.

When I plug it into my computer iTunes will not detect the phone. Windows "sometimes" will and when it does it appears as a "unknown device."

Everything else works as normal with the phone, Wi-Fi, Edge, internet, youtube etc.

Its this blasted message that appears all the time and iTunes will not detect so I cannot sync or update etc. WTF!!!!

Someone PLEASE Help....

p.s. I have gone throug and cleaned all the ports and all that stuff...

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hey everyone, i'm brand new here. This is whats up.

The other night my phone started displaying the "this accessory is not made to work with iPhone...." Even though there is NOTHING plugged into it. I can 'lock' my phone and without touching anything the "slide to unlock" screen comes up and sometimes with that message, then the screen will go black again.

When I plug it into my computer iTunes will not detect the phone. Windows "sometimes" will and when it does it appears as a "unknown device."

Everything else works as normal with the phone, Wi-Fi, Edge, internet, youtube etc.

Its this blasted message that appears all the time and iTunes will not detect so I cannot sync or update etc. WTF!!!!

Someone PLEASE Help....

p.s. I have gone throug and cleaned all the ports and all that stuff...

It almost sounds as if your phone got wet. Could this be a possibility? One way to check is look in the headphone jack to see if the wetness sensor is red. Also, if your iphone is still under warranty, I would suggest taking it back to the apple store.

kajo0301

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
I just looked and my wetness sensor is White. It may have gotten a little wet, but nothing major. Any suggestions?

evolgirl

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008

Apple Mobile Device
iPod service

Justin

I am having the same issue - Itunes is not recognizing that my Iphone 3g is plugged in. I checked the above solution and it is not my problem. Both services are started.

I tried unplugging, replugging, restarting, starting one before the other, etc. None of those work. I'm not super computer savvy, but the only thing I noticed is that in the device manager, instead of listing the Iphone under a USB device, its listing it under an Imaging Device only... perhaps I don't have the correct driver for the Iphone? Has anyone experienced something like this and if so - do you know how to update or correct it?

I'm starting to get really frustrated!!!

andersond2n

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2008
iPhone invisible with Bluetooth

Hi,
my daughter has a brand new iPhone. I have a ringtone (mp3) she'd like to use. We tried establishing Bluetooth connectivity. Neither phone (mine is a Sony-Ericsson NextG) detected the other. How can I get the ringtone into her iPhone, please? A salesperson at the local Apple shop suggested onverting the mp3 to mp4 in Garage Band. I don't see how that's possible.

phil2415

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
andersond2n, clearly your post is in the wrong thread but anyway, in answer to your question I discovered recently to my amazement that the iPhone 3G does not support the bluetooth FTP protocol.

In plain English that means that you can't transfer files between your phone and another phone or other bluetooth-enabled device, just like almost every other mobile-phone-owning person in the world can using bluetooth. Unless a future update from Apple changes this it just can't be done.

In fact all the bluetooth on the iPhone is good for is a hands-free headset. I really wanted it to support A2DP but naturally Apple know what I want better than I do.

lp560-4

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
same problem

i had the same problem aswell, im not sure if this will do. when i first bought my iphone 3G it had a jailbreak software on it, but the software was weak lol. I went and used PWNtool developed by dev team to jail break my phone, and it worked. So basicly i think the jailbreak on your phone is not good, go and jailbreak it with a good software like the one mentioned above.
hope this helped.

jclaydon

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
I've started to have this problem on my new macbook. Itunes just doesn't seem to recognize my iphone and I get the 'spinning colour cycle' and eventually have to crash out of itunes.

Any help much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.