Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which version of Mac OS X do you prefer?

• Tiger 10.4

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Leopard 10.5

Votes: 68 89.5%

• Total voters

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Just curious, on an Intel Mac, which do you prefer, Tiger or Leopard, and why? Besides Leopard's new look and feature set, are there any other reasons?

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Leopard for me.

You've already mentioned most of my reasons. Another one would be I've had absolutely no problem with Leopard since I did an archive install. I'm more than happy with it.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Leopard for me, although I do prefer some things in Tiger e.g. solid menus but Leopard is more advanced and has many features I use on a daily basis. I feel cramped in Tiger.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
There needs to be another option for those who don't feel strongly either way and like both equally.

I've been using Leopard since the day it was released and it does everything as well as Tiger did, the few advantages I like are that it doesn't crash when it loses a connection to a shared network drive, and the whole Quicklook idea. Apart from that, everything else is the same for what I do.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Leopard FTW!!!

-Quicklook saves me so much time.
-Thanks to Time Machine, backing up is so painless.
-The graphics aren't so bright (Tiger got tiresome to look at after awhile)
-RSS in Mail!!!
-Spotlight is much faster

Though I have had some problems:
-One of my favorite simulation games, Democracy, doesn't run under Leopard
-Escape Velocity Nova fudges up the dock after quitting
-PowerPC apps in general seem sluggisher (is that a word) than on Tiger

Iamtherealwoody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
I think that perhaps you do not understand how Time Machine works.

Well I understand that everytime I plug my girlfriends mac into the drive to backup, it copied the WHOLE entire HDD, every single thing she had on the computer, over and over and over. Had 165gb total of 4 different 40gb backups, the only files that had changed between backups were little text and doc files. It copies the whole music folder and other large unchanged folders over and over.

cygni

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2005
Tiger.
Leopard does not seem finished, like I am using an almost last stage beta that isn't quite there yet. I do love a few of the new features, tho. :apple:

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Tiger, by far. I'm likely going to keep using it on my Macbook until my core applications (Firefox, Skype, Mozy, etc) are 10.5-only. That won't happen for at least another two to three years, and by then, 10.6 will be out. It's becoming more likely by the day that I'll skip Leopard entirely.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Leopard. Quicklook is amazing, borderless Quicktime is nice, and Webclips are great timesavers :)

ryanmcd02

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
Leopard for the time machine and the quicklook. For my thesis and photo projects I am often digging through hundreds of files, quicklook and cover-flow save tons of time.

And my Safari functions better, although yesterday the text fields on the toolbar vanished. I am also the only person who seems to miss the days of brushed metal.

Bonsai1214

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Penfield, NY
leopard. for one, its simply faster than tiger. plus the new look just makes it that much sweeter.

and i haven't had a single problem a lot of other people have been crying about.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Well I understand that everytime I plug my girlfriends mac into the drive to backup, it copied the WHOLE entire HDD, every single thing she had on the computer, over and over and over. Had 165gb total of 4 different 40gb backups, the only files that had changed between backups were little text and doc files. It copies the whole music folder and other large unchanged folders over and over.

Keep the drive plugged in all the time.

Leopard is much better if you ask me. OpenGL 2.1 support, Xcode 3, looks good, Bootcamp, Quicklook, better use of multiprocessor systems the list goes on and on.

SimonMW

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Leopard.

However I did feel that Tiger felt more solid somehow. But there are a number of features I use in Leopard which have helped me a lot, such as Spaces.

Stacks I actually like. Not in their standard config. But they have saved me some dock space. For example I can put the entire suite of Final Cut Pro Studio programs in a single stack instead of spreading them across the dock. Stacks also work well for downloads allowing immediate access to the most recent download without having to download stuff to the desktop.

They need some more thought, and better identification, but stacks are overall a good idea, even if the implementation is a bit flawed.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Interesting thread.

I vote for Leopard because of the more advanced feature set. After using Leopard since launch date, Tiger feels sort of retro, not as sophisticated, lacking in features, etc (I used Tiger yesterday). However, I prefer the stability of Tiger. Leopard is noticeably less stable than Tiger for me.

writeous

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2007
Honestly the only reason I could see people preferring Tiger over Leopard is cause of the stability issues. Once 10.5.2 comes, Leopard will make Tiger look as if it came out a decade ago.

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Which do you feel is more stable for someone that would use the following applications:

Safari, Mail, Photo Booth, iLife 08, iWork 08, Pixelmator, Adium, TextWrangler

and for someone that wants a seamless experience

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
Leopard.

Of course, I realize now that I only ran Tiger on a really poor machine (mostly the monitor), so that may have affected my opinion. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.