Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
*Bump* ;)

I've got the exact same problem with two aluminium iMacs running MacOS X 10.5. Both of these are also refusing to auto-complete email address when creating new emails (the "searching" spinner on the right simply keeps going and doesn't give any possibilities).

Plus, I've got another aluminium iMac where Mail is retrieving messages twice from the POP server into the InBox.

These are only the latest problems. Mail seems to be very flakey, as does iCal and Address Book (although these two are running off a server as shared sources). :(

Nocturnal22

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
Hi,

I just started having a problem where I send messages from Mail and they stay in the drafts folder. They also appear in the sent messages folder.

I am using Mail in Tiger on a brand new iMac. The mail service is from .Mac.

Any ideas on what's going on?

how do you know they arent being sent?

punakuono

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
Me too, anyone find a solution?

I have the exact same problem on my MacBook Pro: sent emails stay in Drafts as well.

Using OSX 10.5.6 (had the problem since at least 10.5.0 I think) and accessing the email account with IMAP.

Did anyone find a solution?

punakuono

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
Nice

No you're not. IMAP doesn't send emails, SMTP does. You're downloading your emails with IMAP, but you're sending them with SMTP.

Excellent hair-splitting, really helpful. Thanks.
And just to add something: I think the removing of messages from the Drafts folder on the server is done (or rather, should be done) over IMAP and that's where the Mail.app apparently has a bug.

Kidrio

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2009
Las Vegas
Same for mee too

Although the email does get sent, a copy of the email appears in my draft folder. It is easy to delete the email from the draft folder, but it should not be there in the first place.

I have contacted Apple and if they give me an answer I will post it here.

However of someone does have the answer, please let me know.

Thanks,

robuc1

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
copies of sent messages found in drafts in Mail

yup. same problem. using snow leopard on a macbook pro.
if anyone comes across a fix or news, please post.
have a great day

Image33

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2009
The Netherlands
No fix yet?

I'm having this issue too. I'm using IMAP. When sending an email with an attachement it stays in the drafts folder. Sometimes it shows up multiple times in the Drafts folder.

Any known fix?

matthewpfritz

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
Turn off "Save Drafts on Server"

I experienced the same problem (Draft messages showing in my Drafts folder even after being sent.) My solution was to turn of "Save Drafts on Server" in the Accounts Settings>Mailbox Behaviors

Hope this helps!

Image33

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2009
The Netherlands
Thanks,

I knew I could turn of the drafts option. But it's an option I use because many times I start a mail on my mac at work and finish it at home after dinner (just because I always start mailing my work to clients too late).

And it's strange that an option thats there, and that is a real possability (in all other IMAP mailapps) doesn't work! And it's a known bug for years now!

Image33

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2009
The Netherlands
It's happening to me now.

The only workaround I found is simply switching off "Save drafts on server" in the account settings. But I still think Apple should fix this.

Unfortunately there's not a good mail alternative besides Entourage wich I don't like.

kdawg

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2004
Same issue here ever since I recently (in may) moved from 10.5 to 10.6 with Mail 4.3 (1081)

I also find that 10.5 was a lot more stable than 10.6.. Anyone else find that?

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
I hate to bump this, but this has really been irking me that past few months. I have dealt with it and now I am getting to the point where I am about to ditch mail.app.

I send a email with attachments and it goes to drafts!? How the hell am I supposed to know if a client/friend gets the email? I just got a phone call from a client waiting on an email I sent an hour ago...where was it, in the drafts.

If this didn't need to be bumped, sorry, let it fall back out of line.

If someone has a solution, please enlighten me.

Thanks!

Image33

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2009
The Netherlands
I hate to bump this, but this has really been irking me that past few months. I have dealt with it and now I am getting to the point where I am about to ditch mail.app. !

I turned of the feature that saves drafts. Instead I made a mailbox called "temporary box" in which I put the unfinished mails for completion later, or on another computer. I decided to wait to de revised mail app in OSX 10.7. If there things ain't fixed than I will switch to Postbox (http://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/postbox/id410144341?mt=12).

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
Wow, I asked about this same thing last week. Didn't know it was this old a problem, So am I to believe the wonderful people at Apple haven't been able to come up with a fix for this problem in mail in 5 years? :eek:

cookie053177

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
yeah, just confirmed, so I unchecked the "store in server" under settings. hope this can fix it.

adrianbj

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Still happening in Lion and it's 2012 - 5 years after this was first reported - Macs just work - yeah, right!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.