Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
I've seen many people hack OS X on a PC. How can you install Windows XP on a Mac BESIDES Virtual PC, Boot Camp, Parallels, and all that crap? THERE HAS TO BE A WAY!

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I've seen many people hack OS X on a PC. How can you install Windows XP on a Mac BESIDES Virtual PC, Boot Camp, Parallels, and all that crap? THERE HAS TO BE A WAY!

Nope.

EDIT: Okay, just because you clearly need some education in this area, the reason people can "hack OS X on a PC" is because Macs ARE PCs now. There's nothing particularly special about their hardware compared to a run-of-the-mill PC, besides the fact that they use EFI instead of BIOS.

Boot Camp is really just a tool to partition the drive—there were several firmware updates for early Intel Macs' EFI firmwares to provide a BIOS-emulation mode so that Windows could run natively on them. So, Boot Camp is pretty much the same (in reverse) as what people are doing to make "Hackintoshes."

PPC Macs are left out in the cold because at a base level their hardware is not x86-based. PowerPC chips are a completely different architecture/instruction set, so to run x86 stuff on them you have to emulate an x86 CPU, which is slow. There's no PowerPC-compiled version of Windows XP, so you're out of luck.

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Nope.

EDIT: Okay, just because you clearly need some education in this area, the reason people can "hack OS X on a PC" is because Macs ARE PCs now. There's nothing particularly special about their hardware compared to a run-of-the-mill PC, besides the fact that they use EFI instead of BIOS.

Boot Camp is really just a tool to partition the drive—there were several firmware updates for early Intel Macs' EFI firmwares to provide a BIOS-emulation mode so that Windows could run natively on them. So, Boot Camp is pretty much the same (in reverse) as what people are doing to make "Hackintoshes."

PPC Macs are left out in the cold because at a base level their hardware is not x86-based. PowerPC chips are a completely different architecture/instruction set, so to run x86 stuff on them you have to emulate an x86 CPU, which is slow. There's no PowerPC-compiled version of Windows XP, so you're out of luck.

Yeah, but I saw someone hack PANTHER on a PC, and of corse thats 100% PPC Based. It's just dumb that XP is full of x86 support crap. I totally forgut that PPC doesn't support x86.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Unless you're a god of programming and have full access to the source code for Windows XP, you're f***ed.

I'm sure you can find a cheap Pentium III or 4 PC on Craigslist.

Then just get a KVM, and swap between the two.

And on hacking Panther, that was probably Panther running in PearPC.

Keep up your threads though, I always enjoy your humorous questions. :)

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
if you WERE to use virtual PC, on a PPC mac, on a 1.33ghz iBook with 1.5gb ram, i only really found it good for solitaire, nothing more!

you can get an intel machine pretty cheaply on ebay now, perhaps a macmini?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Yeah, but I saw someone hack PANTHER on a PC, and of corse thats 100% PPC Based. It's just dumb that XP is full of x86 support crap. I totally forgut that PPC doesn't support x86.

I saw Linux on a bar of soap, once.. It's amazing what you can do with Linux!

JNB

macrumors 604
Is it possible if I made my PPC mac "think" it's intel based processor? THEN will it work?

Just not possible. CPU architecture, instruction sets, etc, etc are completely different. BIOS's/OS's/Applications are written CPU-specific to an extent. T'aint gonna happen.

PPC's (G4 & G5) are left with VirtualPC. G3's supported the Orange PC card, and Apple sold the DOS card for a while. OS 8.1 was the last system that supported this method.

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
No, it won't.

Although I am curious to know how you'd make your PPC Mac think it is Intel... and how you'd know once you'd achieved this.

SL

change the name in open firmware, just like you make your PPC "think" it's running at the speed you want it to say.

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Just not possible. CPU architecture, instruction sets, etc, etc are completely different. BIOS's/OS's/Applications are written CPU-specific to an extent. T'aint gonna happen.

PPC's (G4 & G5) are left with VirtualPC. G3's supported the Orange PC card, and Apple sold the DOS card for a while. OS 8.1 was the last system that supported this method.

I thought it was os 8.6 that last supported this.

Teehee! If only life was that simple.

Yep, I agree! I HATE THIS!!!!

Unless you're a god of programming and have full access to the source code for Windows XP, you're f***ed.

I'm sure you can find a cheap Pentium III or 4 PC on Craigslist.

Then just get a KVM, and swap between the two.

And on hacking Panther, that was probably Panther running in PearPC.

Keep up your threads though, I always enjoy your humorous questions. :)

THANKS!! LOL!!!:D:D:D

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Are you suggesting you run Windows XP (for whatever god awful reason you'd want to) on your 533MHz G4? Riiiight. Go get a job kid and buy a PC if that's what you fancy.

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
if you WERE to use virtual PC, on a PPC mac, on a 1.33ghz iBook with 1.5gb ram, i only really found it good for solitaire, nothing more!

you can get an intel machine pretty cheaply on ebay now, perhaps a macmini?

Mac Mini's used to be my "Dream Mac Machine" back when they were G4's, but now it is impossible for it to fit my needs. It isn't the right Mac for me, and I'm a broke 15 year-old (spending only $20 on upgrades for my current Sawtooth,) who can't afford a current Mac.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
change the name in open firmware, just like you make your PPC "think" it's running at the speed you want it to say.

PPC and intel are fundamentally different. It'd be like putting diesel in a petrol car and expecting it to work. Just wont happen. Or telling a giraffe that he's now the eiffel tower. Totally different.

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Are you suggesting you run Windows XP (for whatever god awful reason you'd want to) on your 533MHz G4? Riiiight. Go get a job kid and buy a PC if that's what you fancy.

PC's stands for Piece of Crap, and I'm trying to do this in a "NO $" way. Besides, around where I live, it's almost impossible for a 15 year-old to make enough money in time to get a new Mac!

I QUIT!:mad:

FelixMC

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2008
Mac Mini's used to be my "Dream Mac Machine" back when they were G4's, but now it is impossible for it to fit my needs. It isn't the right Mac for me, and I'm a broke 15 year-old (spending only $20 on upgrades for my current Sawtooth,) who can't afford a current Mac.
PC's stands for Piece of Crap, and I'm trying to do this in a "NO $" way. Besides, around where I live, it's almost impossible for a 15 year-old to make enough money in time to get a new Mac!
I'm a 15 year old as well, and hell you're right!! :D

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

So your Mac is a piece of crap then? Macs are PCs. PC stands for Personal Computer. Last time I checked, a Mac is a personal computer.

Anyways, it is absolutely in no way possible, not with any amount of technical knowledge, not with any amount of money, not with any amount of anything to get Windows XP running on a PPC Mac outside of Virtual Machine. It just is not, in any way, possible. 2 completely different, incompatible processor architectures. You can beg and plead all you want on internet forums, it is just not going to happen. Ever.

It's just dumb that XP is full of x86 support crap. I totally forgut that PPC doesn't support x86.
Um, no, it's not dumb that "XP is full of x86 support crap." x86 is the most common type of processor in PCs and has been for ages, it only makes sense Microsoft would write Windows to run on x86. Apple are the idiots for not adopting x86 sooner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.