Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2006
I have free web space provided by my internet provider. So far I have used iweb to create a fun website, but now I want to place many photos of my new born baby, which I have in albums inside of iphoto.

Does anyone have any suggestions as how to keep my website size under 20mb?

-Can I reduce the photo size?

-Can I disable the download function, thereby getting rid of high res photos?

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
You would need something like photoshop to lower the image size and save for web so the jpegs will be compressed.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
You would need something like photoshop to lower the image size and save for web so the jpegs will be compressed.

You can also do this in Photoshop Elements.

I use Elements just for this purpose, quick and easy way to slim down file size for web photos.

Open the photos, and under the FILE menu select " Saved For Web "

This will give you two panes, one with original file, other with web file.

You will also see data on new file size, and also time it will take the pic to download.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Assuming you don't have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, you can also do this with Preview in Leopard.

Use Preview to open the photo you want to change

Click on "Adjust size" in the "Tools" menu.

Change "Fit into" to be one of the sizes you want, or change the units to "pixels" and enter one of the pixel dimensions you want.

Click OK

Click on "Save As" under the File menu, and save your picture with a new name.

Be careful NOT to save over your original images!

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
um... you can use iPhoto if you don't want to spend $1200 on photoshop... just export your library of photos for webpage. select an album, File > Export > Webpage. this export will actually create a basic webpage for you, but will also optimize your photos for web in their own folder at your export location so that you may use them however you want... additionally, i think it also creates thumbnails as well.

alternatively, you can also use Preview 4 (10.5 Leopard) to resize your images and convert to 60% JPGs

images for print = 300 PPI
images for screen = 72 PPI

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I'll 2nd using Photoshop Elements. It's compression for saving for web is quite good and keeps quality rather well at the same time. I also use Gimp, but haven't figured out how to get it to reduce file size and keep quality at the same level as Photoshop, which would be nice since Gimp is free.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I'll 2nd using Photoshop Elements. It's compression for saving for web is quite good and keeps quality rather well at the same time. I also use Gimp, but haven't figured out how to get it to reduce file size and keep quality at the same level as Photoshop, which would be nice since Gimp is free.

Also doing it in Elements allows you to actually see the modified pic and allow you to adjust compression level so that an acceptable image is produced.

You can play with a couple of different settings such.

You also have the option of converting format, like loading up a JPEG and converting it to GIF or PNG, and each of those have their own 'tuning' adjustments.

Also Elements isn't all that expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.