Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Couple of things to try:

1. Do you have a red light coming out of your headphone jack? That indicates that it's outputting digital sound due to a stuck contact. Try inserting a headphone plug a few times and wiggling it around to unstick it.

2. Try opening and closing GarageBand to reset your audio settings.

marysmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
when all else fails...

Not to be crude, I tried everything suggested, no workie. Then I blew in and out of the headphone jack hole, and viola, workie

kajo13

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2009
It's the headphone jack

Lots of people on different forums suggested inserting something into the headphone jack and wiggling it around. I used a plastic paper clip and it worked for me.

FYI, my volume control was completely frozen and reboots did nothing.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Lots of people on different forums suggested inserting something into the headphone jack and wiggling it around. I used a plastic paper clip and it worked for me.

FYI, my volume control was completely frozen and reboots did nothing.
The optical out has been known to get stuck on. The red light shining out of the port makes it obvious what's wrong.

Linibean

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
Amen!

Thanks for the tips.

Tried putting the headphone jack & wiggling it.
Tried blowing air.
Then, tried the paperclip trick- WORKED!

I signed up just for this forum.

Thank you apple people. Much love.

God bless!
:apple:
-mailin

columbus8myhw

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
I tried everything.

Um, I tried every single thing suggested, plus other stuff. I blew into headphone jack, stuck paper clips, toothpicks, and staples into there, and restarted. I stuck the headphones into the jack and then pulled them out again. I fiddled with Garage Band. Nothing worked.

The red light in the jack is on.
I have a MacBook White, which is MAC OS X version 10.5.7.

I'm :mad: and :confused: . Please help.

Lord Taco

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
Not to be crude, I tried everything suggested, no workie. Then I blew in and out of the headphone jack hole, and viola, workie

This worked beautifully. The wiggly thing didn't work, and neither did the paper clip, but blowing into it turned off the red light instantly.:D:D

TheLondoner

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
sdf
Couple of things to try:

1. Do you have a red light coming out of your headphone jack? That indicates that it's outputting digital sound due to a stuck contact. Try inserting a headphone plug a few times and wiggling it around to unstick it.

2. Try opening and closing GarageBand to reset your audio settings.

thank god i found this - i was close to contacting apple care! This fixed the problem. I would never have thought of this, haha!

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Amazing how many problems it solves.
The IT Crowd:
Have you tried truning it off and on again?

mustmast

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Sound doesn't work anymore

Hello,

My sound if all the way up and with or without earphones plugged in the sound doesn't come out of the computer! I don't know what to do anymore.

Anyone?

maunarose

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2013
If the sound won't work on your MacBook

WildCowboy is right. If there is a red light coming from the headphone jack, wiggle a headphone plug around and in and out. This fixed my loose connection in seconds! The internal sound comes back on. Thank you so much.

BananaGeoffrey3

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2014
Solution

Instead of blowing into the audio jack, I sucked the air out of it to get the dust out because, ages ago, my little brother broke his Nintendo DS by putting moisture into the cartridge slot because he blew into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.