Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Klamath Falls, Oregon, USA
I had this annoying sticker on the bottom of my new macbook. It wasn't even a cool sticker that I put on;it was a label that came off the plastic bag liner the refurb macbook had been shipped in.

I just received a Speck hard shell for the macbook and wanted to get it off before putting the Speck shell on.

Anybody who has tried to remove sticker adhesive knows how frustrating this process can be. It doesn't come off, it just moves around and gets darker! Soap, water, pencil erasers, 409, yada yada yada . . .

Long story short: WD-40 took it off almost immediately and did not appear to damage the plastic case.

That's all.

m

post-wd40.jpg

Csmitte

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Hmm. WD-40 there is also a product called goo-be gone. works for me pretty well.

Csmitte

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Yes, I sprayed it on a cotton cloth and then wiped the sticker goop off, then wiped the WD-40 off.

I have some Goo-Be-Gone but didn't use it because the container says it dissolves plastic.

m

ehh i have used that on all sortsa stuff lol oh well!

apple90

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Torrance, CA
Thanks for suggesting me this WD-40! I recently got a parking ticket that the stupid pig put a sticker that never comes off of :D

Thanks!

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
Yeah, my mother-in-law one time got sticky gum on the suede seats of my STI and I tried everything to get it off unsuccessfully. I finally tried some WD-40 and it immediately took the gum off, I was very surprised.

NKA

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
I can recommend lighter fluid, the type used for zippo lighters (not the gas type). It's clear, cheap, doesn't stain and evaporates fast.

Baffles

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Upstate New York
I used peanut butter to remove the sticky sticker residue off a pc laptop a long time ago, to remove the stickers that came on it from factory. I was hesitant at first, but the pb actually worked.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
I used peanut butter to remove the sticky sticker residue off a pc laptop a long time ago, to remove the stickers that came on it from factory. I was hesitant at first, but the pb actually worked.

Yes, peanut butter works. Its the oils from the peanut butter.

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
WD40 worked like a charm...

Goo-Gone - Goof-Off - the list goes on and DOES NOT include WD40

Actually, maybe it should. I was taking a new macbook out of the tyvek bag, and the sticker practically leapt onto the case. Immediately it bonded onto the case, and attempts to scrape it off left a stubborn greasy goo that just smeared around from one spot to another. 1 shot of wd40 onto a cotton ball quickly removed all traces of the goo, and then I just buffed off the case with a soft cloth. Looks like new, which is good, as it is...

michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.