Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
I may be 15, but I'm a Mac Genius.

drinklaugh.gif

This thread needs to close. Now.

AnticosX

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Interesting but i find this more so

Interesting but i find this more so.... well i am a novice mac user admittedly, being primarily a !windows! user, but i stumbled upon this post and must agree that i have also thought about this recently. anyway i had a little dig around and well the result (-pause-pause-pause-) very interesting (that is if you are talking about the powerpc processor in the older macs, if not SORRY!)
I hope the following brings up a few Q's....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

"A main design goal of NT was hardware and software portability. Versions of NT were available for a variety of processor architectures, namely Intel IA-32, MIPS, Alpha, PowerPC, SPARC, Intel i860, and Intel i960."

please forgive an interested fellow if my reading skills have failed me.:rolleyes:

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Interesting but i find this more so.... well i am a novice mac user admittedly, being primarily a !windows! user, but i stumbled upon this post and must agree that i have also thought about this recently. anyway i had a little dig around and well the result (-pause-pause-pause-) very interesting (that is if you are talking about the powerpc processor in the older macs, if not SORRY!)
I hope the following brings up a few Q's....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

"A main design goal of NT was hardware and software portability. Versions of NT were available for a variety of processor architectures, namely Intel IA-32, MIPS, Alpha, PowerPC, SPARC, Intel i860, and Intel i960."

please forgive an interested fellow if my reading skills have failed me.:rolleyes:

A-ha! You may be on to something there, good fellow.

NT gurus? Anybody? Anybody?

Also, I would just like to point out that I explained this idea of windows not running on a PowerPC Mac to my 10-year-old-sister who hates computers. She understood within thirty seconds.

AnticosX

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Wait who says it's impossible to run XP on a Mac?:)
I've been running XP on an old emac for almost a year.;)
Here's some snaps if you don't believe me!:rolleyes:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21610623@N07/2235551830/in/photostream/

Cycle through all the photos if you don't believe me:p

Your just being rude.. you are not running xp natively and you suggested you are im sorry that is no proof...i also ran xp on QEmu on my imac and took screen shots in full screen mode.
Its not clever to be stupid now is it????

AnticosX

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Lincoln, United Kingdom
people really need to learn to use the power

people really need to learn to use the power of the internet 1-1.1/2 hours search and all this info really people

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/2620/powerpc-gets-serious-about-windows-nt.html

the focus is on this section: The PowerPC supports several operating systems, including NT, AIX, Mac OS, Sun Solaris, Linux, and Amiga (later this year). Also, the PowerPC supports several realtime operating systems for the embedded environment (e.g., laser printers). :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

AnticosX

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Lincoln, United Kingdom
I think i have definitive proof windows will run on a non intel mac!!!

I decided to dig up my old NT4 Server CD.....The results say..well, yes yes yes you can run windows on a ppc mac just take a look at the files on the disc:

\ALPHA\
\I386\
\MIPS\
\PPC\ <<<< The install files for Windows NT4 for different platforms...

the interesting stuff.....
\FRONTPG\ <-- MS Frontpage 1.1
\CLIENTS\MSCLIENT\ <- MS DOS Client for workgroups
\CLIENTS\WIN95\

^

amasingly, the Windows 95 setup files....well if the core files are indeed windows 95 setup files then i believe i can pat myself on the back and stop this question from ever being asked again. Although to my knowledge Windows Xp IS UNABLE to run natively on PPC processors.

I think i deserve a coffee:D

AnticosX

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Lincoln, United Kingdom
I am about to attempt an install of Windows NT 4.0 on my g3, if successful i will upload a video (youtube) to prove it is a real install if not then my fight has been for nothing.

I know this is not XP but the conversation got derailed and people were doubting that Window in all its existances would not run on PPC cpu's, so i hope i can put this one to bed.

post back as soon as success occurs!!!!

Retired
May 16, 2006
I am about to attempt an install of Windows NT 4.0 on my g3, if successful i will upload a video (youtube) to prove it is a real install if not then my fight has been for nothing.

I know this is not XP but the conversation got derailed and people were doubting that Window in all its existances would not run on PPC cpu's, so i hope i can put this one to bed.

post back as soon as success occurs!!!!
I don't think there is dispute over whether Windows can run on PPC, proven by the wiki page of VirtualPC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Virtual_PC

AnticosX

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Lincoln, United Kingdom
I don't think there is dispute over whether Windows can run on PPC, proven by the wiki page of VirtualPC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Virtual_PC

You misunderstand, i will be attempting this without the aid of emulation software. It will be an install from disc at boot, not via bootcamp etc.etc...The whole thread has only been about the doubt that windows can run on ppc chips NATIVELY, so the only next reasonable way to go forward is to install a windows o/s i.e. NT 4.0 using no emulation of any kind

Neil321

macrumors 68040
You misunderstand, i will be attempting this without the aid of emulation software. It will be an install from disc at boot, not via bootcamp etc.etc...The whole thread has only been about the doubt that windows can run on ppc chips NATIVELY, so the only next reasonable way to go forward is to install a windows o/s i.e. NT 4.0 using no emulation of any kind

Good luck & the best of british to ya,im not sure this can be done,but i know for sure it cant be
done with XP ( which this was originally all about )

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
So your Mac is a piece of crap then? Macs are PCs. PC stands for Personal Computer. Last time I checked, a Mac is a personal computer.

Perhaps you are unaware that in conventional parlance, PC's are considered to be Windows-based....

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY

I have an old G3 waiting to run NT if this works.....

Call it the Rotten Apple:p

FelixMC

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2008
Anticosx said:
neil321 said:
That doesn't prove squat,windows XP cannot run natively on ppc processors,reason x86
Ok, lol, I see most of you took this seriously..
Now, let me tell you a little story..
There was once a boy named Felix, who went to yahoo.com and did an image search for "windows xp desktop". He selected only large images to be displayed, and when he saw a snapshot of windows xp that looked normal enough, he dragged it onto the desktop of his 1GHz eMac running Tiger..
Next, he double clicked the freshly downloaded image, and it opened up in Preview.app. Next he went to View>Slideshow, and waited until the slideshow controls and the mouse faded away, before taking out a camera, and taking pictures of his eMac..
Then he just uploaded the pics to the net, and posted a link on a forum..
THE END
:p

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Apple are the idiots for not adopting x86 sooner.

Naw....atleast not much sooner. PowerPC was good, and back in the day, faster then Intel.

But those G4s screwed Apple's over for laptops...G5 wasn't terrible, but SOO hot, and IBM could have cared less about laptops

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Ok, lol, I see most of you took this seriously..
Now, let me tell you a little story..
There was once a boy named Felix, who went to yahoo.com and did an image search for "windows xp desktop". He selected only large images to be displayed, and when he saw a snapshot of windows xp that looked normal enough, he dragged it onto the desktop of his 1GHz eMac running Tiger..
Next, he double clicked the freshly downloaded image, and it opened up in Preview.app. Next he went to View>Slideshow, and waited until the slideshow controls and the mouse faded away, before taking out a camera, and taking pictures of his eMac..
Then he just uploaded the pics to the net, and posted a link on a forum..
THE END
:p

Nah,got i wrong there mate how can you say i took it seriously when im 100% certain it cant be done

AnticosX

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Lincoln, United Kingdom
No luck as yet BUT!

No luck as yet but well READ THE FOLLOWING:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4816520.stm

Last Updated: Friday, 17 March 2006, 12:30 GMT

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Hackers get Mac running Windows

Not even Apple's own technical staff thought the feat was possible
Hackers have managed to get Microsoft's Windows XP operating system running on an Apple Mac computer.
The success ends a competition started to see if the feat was even possible when Apple unveiled computers that used Intel chips.

The pair who managed the feat won $13,854 (£7,895) in prize money for their trouble.

The software used to put Windows on the Mac is now being circulated so others can try to replicate the success.

Custom care

In January 2006, the first Apple Mac computers using Intel chips were unveiled at the Macworld show by company boss Steve Jobs.

Soon after the unveiling, Mac enthusiast Colin Nederkoorn kicked off a competition to see if it was possible for the two operating systems to run independently on the same machine.

To tempt entrants, he put up $100 of his own money - a prize fund that gradually grew as news about the competition spread.

The rules of the competition stressed that to win hackers must get both Windows XP and Apple's OSX running on the same machine and neither operating system must conflict with the other.

Some want to run PC games like Eve Online on Macs
As late as 7 March, Apple technical experts were saying that the prize money was unlikely to be collected.

The main stumbling block for those tackling the task was the different way that Microsoft's Windows XP and Apple's OSX boot-up, or start. Essentially, PCs and Apple Mac machines use different technology to get their operating systems loaded.

The hackers who won the contest created a custom copy of Windows XP that had modifications made to the installation files to get it working with the Apple boot system.

The hackers who won the contest are keen to keep their anonymity and are known only by the handles "narf" and "blanka". According to reports, their feat has been independently confirmed and XP has been made to run on an iMac, Mac Mini and MacBook Pro.

Technical sites such as Ars Technica have provided walkthroughs for people keen to try it for themselves, though they stress that it is likely to defeat those who are technically unskilled.

It is possible that easier ways to get a Mac booting both operating systems will appear as other hackers follow up the success.

Many people discussing the feat online stress that it is of more than casual interest. One of the many reasons that Apple machines have not proved more popular is because of the relatively small number of programs, in particular games, created for them. With work, many of the hugely popular programs for Windows may be able to run on Apple machines too.

Interesting no???

AnticosX

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Lincoln, United Kingdom
just a

Right one min

the xbox consoles both run on a stripped down version of windows right?
So it is possible as xbox's (both the original and the 360) are using powerpc cpus.

just a thought

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
No luck as yet but well READ THE FOLLOWING:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4816520.stm

Hackers get Mac running Windows

Not even Apple's own technical staff thought the feat was possible
Hackers have managed to get Microsoft's Windows XP operating system running on an Apple Mac computer. The success ends a competition started to see if the feat was even possible when Apple unveiled computers that used Intel chips.

The pair who managed the feat won $13,854 (£7,895) in prize money for their trouble.

Interesting no???

I'm not sure if you actually read what you just posted. That text refers to running XP natively on an Intel mac. Unless I'm completely mistaken, this thread is about running XP (or other windows) natively on a PPC mac. Which is a very slightly different situation.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Guys, this really isn't a discussion because it is impossible to run Windows on a PPC natively. Simple, and utterly impossible. There is no compiled public version of Windows (NT or XP) that was ever made for PPC's.
It just cannot be done. Absolutely no way. Zero chance. 100% incompatible. Total waste of time. Efforts that are guaranteed to be wasted. Zilch, nada, NOPE.

Don't you think it would have been discovered back when PPC's were the norm? Just go buy a cheap PC if you want/need to run Windows.

gavingrant

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Virtual pc 5 running on a ppc mac 700mhz 384 on ram

Virtual PC is slow i agree virtual pc runs more faster in mac os 9
any way i am running windows xp and its pretty fast kinda faster than windows 2000 the point is if u want windows xp to be faster do a few tweaking ;):D:eek::(:):confused::eek::mad::rolleyes::cool::p
games that run on windows xp
Burger shop 2
Cake mania 1&2
Megaman x 1,2,3,4,5,6
MDK 1

professor fizzlewizle and the molten mystery professor fizzlewizle :apple:
see its fast for me do for get dinerdash 1 and 2
can virtual pc run 3d games no

ioscat

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012
Wales
Windows NT for PPC

I'm pretty sure Microsoft released a version of Windows NT 4.0 for PPC processors. Although these were for IBM PPC computers, it might be possible to get it working on PPC Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.