Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truz21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
First of all let me say I love my Macbook Air SSD. Its just a joy to use and carry around in my bag, and really works great as my portable machine. I have a Mac Pro where I work as well as my own Mac Pro at home for personal use, so the Air seemed like a perfect fit for me as I didn't mind having a "barebones" laptop that people complained about.

Anyones last night I just ordered a silve 160gb iPod classic and think it will be great to have as both an iPod and an external drive. I am going to keep all my music and video on it, as well as some files that I need to save and transfer to other machines. Also I'll probably throw World of Warcraft on it because I don't want that monster install eating up my SSD!

I just felt the iPod would give me the extra space I needed (don't really need a giant external), and the silver should match my Air nicely, hehe.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
First of all let me say I love my Macbook Air SSD. Its just a joy to use and carry around in my bag, and really works great as my portable machine. I have a Mac Pro where I work as well as my own Mac Pro at home for personal use, so the Air seemed like a perfect fit for me as I didn't mind having a "barebones" laptop that people complained about.

Anyones last night I just ordered a silve 160gb iPod classic and think it will be great to have as both an iPod and an external drive. I am going to keep all my music and video on it, as well as some files that I need to save and transfer to other machines. Also I'll probably throw World of Warcraft on it because I don't want that monster install eating up my SSD!

I just felt the iPod would give me the extra space I needed (don't really need a giant external), and the silver should match my Air nicely, hehe.

Interesting idea. I have an 80gb Classic. I was thinking of selling it and getting a 32gb ipod touch but your idea is interesting. Gonna explore that.

Was wondering though what to do with my music library on my external drive if I put it all on my classic. I think you can only manually manage music so how would you do Playlists and such?

Truz21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Yea I have an iPhone and the space limitation is the only thing I don't like about it, so the iPod helps in that regard.

As for managing playlists and such, I would do that on my main machine (mac pro), as my music and other media would still reside there.

memberako

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008

what format are you using for your ipod? right now im using fat32 so that i could use it with windows and mac... the problem is, i can't update it unless i use a windows machine...

Truz21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
what format are you using for your ipod? right now im using fat32 so that i could use it with windows and mac... the problem is, i can't update it unless i use a windows machine...

I've just ordered last night, so I don't have it yet. But I seem to remember that a windows formatted iPod will work easily between both systems, but a mac formatted iPod will not work on windows. I'm not to sure about this, maybe someone else could shed light on what format can go between the operating systems easiest.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah... I'm planning on doing exactly that.

MBA + 160GB Classic as a temp ext HDD as I have around 85GB free space on it. Save me some $ instead of buying a WD Passport.

I hardly use my classic since getting my iPhone, so at least this will put it to good use.

Attachments

• mba1.jpg
    mba1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 123
  • mba2.jpg
    mba2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 103

rsbell

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Murrieta, CA
Yeah... I'm planning on doing exactly that.

MBA + 160GB Classic as a temp ext HDD as I have around 85GB free space on it. Save me some $ instead of buying a WD Passport.

I hardly use my classic since getting my iPhone, so at least this will put it to good use.

I just bought the 320GB WD Passport for $199. I use it for my Time Machine back up and to keep my iTunes library with my MBA.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just bought the 320GB WD Passport for $199. I use it for my Time Machine back up and to keep my iTunes library with my MBA.

Don't get me wrong I really like them, and have bought two in the past for clients of mine, just the thought occurred to me the the other day that I hardly use my 160GB ipod these days so hence it seems like a decent solution for me that isn't going to cost me anything extra.

I do wish they would offer the WD passport in silver though, metalic red or pink (alongside black and white) but no silver/grey ?

kyleen66

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I have a 160 classic iPod as well. And I had already figured I would do just this. Most of the time my iPod is in my pocket anyway so it's not a big deal to throw it's connector cord in with my MBA to use as back up.

I think the iPods make great companions to the MacBook Airs!

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I format all my iPods for Windows so I can use them on my Macs and Windows computers (if you ever need an iPod update I'm sure you can find a Windows computer to do it). I've been using my 60GB iPod video for this reason, a removable HD with my MacBook Air. It has all of my music, videos, pictures, and important files (imagine what a 160GB will hold:) ). The Classic will compliment your MacBook Air very nicely.

Ringu

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2005
That's the storage solution that I was contemplating to solve the only niggle I have with the MBA.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
Ipod Classic

I have an 80GB ipod classic. Also an 8gb iphone, macbook pro and macbook air. I'm thinking about selling the MacBook Pro if I can get storage worked out for myself. If I use the ipod classic for my itunes library in manual mode how would I get music and such into my iphone? I really don;t want to use a separate external HD or have an itunes library on my MacBook Air. Thanks

ryanmcd02

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
If you have the library on your classic, but want to put songs on your iphone only using the MBA, you would have to temporarily put songs onto your MBA (as far as I can imagine, since there is only 1 USB port). A wireless HD such as time capsule could let you access both your music and have the iphone plugged in at the same time. I put my music library onto a spare drive and kept only about 6GB of music that I typically listen to on my comp, since it only has 80 GB.

This could be another good reason to create bluetooth or WiFi syncing of the iphone.

I wouldn't buy a classic simply for storage purposes if you already have an iphone--portable storage is just so cheap now.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
If you have the library on your classic, but want to put songs on your iphone only using the MBA, you would have to temporarily put songs onto your MBA (as far as I can imagine, since there is only 1 USB port). A wireless HD such as time capsule could let you access both your music and have the iphone plugged in at the same time. I put my music library onto a spare drive and kept only about 6GB of music that I typically listen to on my comp, since it only has 80 GB.

This could be another good reason to create bluetooth or WiFi syncing of the iphone.

I wouldn't buy a classic simply for storage purposes if you already have an iphone--portable storage is just so cheap now.

Thanks

I already have an 8GB iphone and 80GB Classic. Wish iphone was 32GB the problem solved. I have a time capsule ordered so that may be answer to the problem unless I'm not home. Then I guess you would load the iphone before leaving.

memberako

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
bought my black 160gb ipod class november last year... then bought my macbook air this week... i should have bought the silver one so it would match my macbook air... darn!

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ

Excellent idea!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.