Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garsue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Received ibook that belonged to a dead relative(rip) but it requires a user ID and password to log on and we have no clue what it is or how to reset it. Please help.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Use an OSX Installer disc (of the same version), start up the computer, insert the disc, restart. As soon as you hear the bong sound, hold down C. Once the Installer starts, select the menubar and a menu will give you access to a place to reset the password (can't remember what it is called as I'm not near my Mac, nor have I had to do it.).

TEG

garsue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Thanks Teg all we have is the iBook, we do not have the OSX installer disc...we probably threw it out ( I am sure we did) :mad::mad::mad:

anyway where can I get one? Forgive me, I've never used a MAC.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
If you live near an Apple Store, one of their Geniuses could help. Also, because it is quite likely that the iBook is running Tiger or Panther, contacting the IT Manager at your local school district might work, or looking on Craigslist. Do you by chance know what kind of iBook it is, or how fast it is?

By the way, TEG is an acronym, so please use all caps, whereas Mac is not.

TEG

garsue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
If you live near an Apple Store, one of their Geniuses could help. Also, because it is quite likely that the iBook is running Tiger or Panther, contacting the IT Manager at your local school district might work, or looking on Craigslist. Do you by chance know what kind of iBook it is, or how fast it is?

By the way, TEG is an acronym, so please use all caps, whereas Mac is not.

TEG
No to the bolded, we know nothing about it...ooops sorry TEG :D Mac :D

JDR

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
Chicago, IL
Like TEG said, I'd probably bring it to an Apple Store, and most likely they'll understand the situation. Are you looking to extract information from the computer, or just use it personally? (or both?)

garsue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Like TEG said, I'd probably bring it to an Apple Store, and most likely they'll understand the situation. Are you looking to extract information from the computer, or just use it personally? (or both?)
just to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.